Powerlifting Gear advice

gymguy21

Awards
Hey guys I've been thinking about powerlifting gear and if it was worth it or just stay raw. The only thing I've seen is that most people start out in single ply and move up to multi ply. What is your guys advice on powerlifting in gear vs raw? Should I get new or used gear? Best place to buy powerlifting gear new or used? Best brands? Etc.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I plan on getting back into competing after a long hiatus, however before I used suits etc. This go around, I'm going raw. I want to compete against the lifters, not the suits they buy. I can get a tremendous increase in my total using suits, but I can't do that without, makes me feel fake. I'd go raw, more you vs them.

PROness

Awards
Hey guys I've been thinking about powerlifting gear and if it was worth it or just stay raw. The only thing I've seen is that most people start out in single ply and move up to multi ply. What is your guys advice on powerlifting in gear vs raw? Should I get new or used gear? Best place to buy powerlifting gear new or used? Best brands? Etc.
If you're not strong without it your still not strong with it, so it doesnt really matter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're not strong without it your still not strong with it, so it doesnt really matter.
I can tell you don't have extensive experience with gear.

I say skip the single-ply route if you plan on eventually going to multi-ply. What I currently use are Metal Ace shirt, suit, and briefs (squat only), and Jack briefs (deadlift only).

gymguy21

Awards
My interest is to get stronger all together. My total is far from competing but the use of powerlifting gear did spark my interest

gymguy21

Awards

I say skip the single-ply route if you plan on eventually going to multi-ply. What I currently use are Metal Ace shirt, suit, and briefs (squat only), and Jack briefs (deadlift only).
OK thanks Rodja for the advice. Did you buy brand new or did you buy used gear?

PROness

Awards

Never ever will you pack me into those sardine cans you call gear.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK thanks Rodja for the advice. Did you buy brand new or did you buy used gear?
I've done both. If you're just getting started with gear, then buy some slightly larger sized gear. My first pair of briefs was a pair of size 46 Metal Pro briefs, but I'm now in Ace for squat and Jack for deadlift and both are size 44. You get used to certain level of tightness the longer you're in the gear.

Never ever will you pack me into those sardine cans you call gear.
Yet you have an assessment about it...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not that its a crutch or anything... but whatever floats your boat.
Crutch for what? It's an entirely style of lifting compare to raw lifting, which is something that people that have never used gear fail to grasp and understand.

PROness

Awards
Crutch for what? It's an entirely style of lifting compare to raw lifting, which is something that people that have never used gear fail to grasp and understand.
Wait what is it called where something helps you do something that normally couldnt do otherwise? Oh yeah a crutch.

Like i said... you can be strong in gear and weak in general and thats what really pisses me off about geared lifting... but thats for abother time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait what is it called where something helps you do something that normally couldnt do otherwise? Oh yeah a crutch.

Like i said... you can be strong in gear and weak in general and thats what really pisses me off about geared lifting... but thats for abother time.
Your arrogance is quite irritating and you should retread what you wrote earlier. Gear or no gear, anyone that's 148lbs and squats 700lbs is strong as hell. If you feel the need to try to devalue someone else's achievements, then you have bigger issues.

PROness

Awards
Your arrogance is quite irritating and you should retread what you wrote earlier. Gear or no gear, anyone that's 148lbs and squats 700lbs is strong as hell. If you feel the need to try to devalue someone else's achievements, then you have bigger issues.
Yeah your right... ill just go ask the chinese oly team how they pull off those raw 700lb squats at 148... then again maybe you should ask and then you'll learn some real strength.

Just saying. -.-

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah your right... ill just go ask the chinese oly team how they pull off those raw 700lb squats at 148... then again maybe you should ask and then you'll learn some real strength.

Just saying. -.-
You again show your ignorance as I was speaking about a geared lifter that I know that has accomplished that squat, but I guess that's still not "real strength."

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah your right... ill just go ask the chinese oly team how they pull off those raw 700lb squats at 148... then again maybe you should ask and then you'll learn some real strength.Just saying. -.-
Sry to say but your definitely not experienced enough in this one. Geared or not geared their honestly two different worlds in my opinion. Seen the transitions of strength with and without and I say it to each their own. It isnt a crutch more than a safety measure as the HUMAN body was never made for such feats bottom line. Just SayingGymGuy any goals in mind as to just how beastly you want to get? See your stats but how do your lifts look?

gymguy21

Awards
Sry to say but your definitely not experienced enough in this one. Geared or not geared their honestly two different worlds in my opinion. Seen the transitions of strength with and without and I say it to each their own. It isnt a crutch more than a safety measure as the HUMAN body was never made for such feats bottom line. Just SayingGymGuy any goals in mind as to just how beastly you want to get? See your stats but how do your lifts look?
Current Raw PR's are
Squat 335
Bench 275
Dead 345

Current Raw goals
Squat 405
Bench 315
Dead 405

I know all these are attainable goals being a raw lifter. I more or less just wanted to know if gear would have any carry over into raw training. I do use a slingshot for some heavy singles and doubles

I would like to stay 220 or under for weight while reaching these goals. I know my numbers aren't great but its the best I've ever done and will keep getting stronger.

PROness

Awards
You again show your ignorance as I was speaking about a geared lifter that I know that has accomplished that squat, but I guess that's still not "real strength."
Just because you can squat 1000 pounds 6 inches to parallel doesn't mean your strong... it just means youre good at squatting...

If i wanted to wear tight clothes that restricted my motion i would just go to a gay bar and fit right in with all the other gender confused weaklings...

Lets battle.

gymguy21

Awards
Just because you can squat 1000 pounds 6 inches to parallel doesn't mean your strong... it just means youre good at squatting...

If i wanted to wear tight clothes that restricted my motion i would just go to a gay bar and fit right in with all the other gender confused weaklings...

Lets battle.
Bro seriously leave this thread. This is not a debate about weather you think people use powerlifting gear only because they aren't strong enough to do it raw. BS. I was merely asking for advice on getting in to using powerlifting gear not an ignorant debate. Leave your BS out of this thread. Any other experienced powerlifters that use powerlifting gear have any advice??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Current Raw PR's are
Squat 335
Bench 275
Dead 345

Current Raw goals
Squat 405
Bench 315
Dead 405

I know all these are attainable goals being a raw lifter. I more or less just wanted to know if gear would have any carry over into raw training. I do use a slingshot for some heavy singles and doubles

I would like to stay 220 or under for weight while reaching these goals. I know my numbers aren't great but its the best I've ever done and will keep getting stronger.
Gear won't translate to raw, but raw does translate to gear. Using a SS for overload is fine, though, as that does have carryover to raw.

Lets battle.
You're an idiot.

gymguy21

Awards
Gear won't translate to raw, but raw does translate to gear. Using a SS for overload is fine, though, as that does have carryover to raw.

You're an idiot.
OK thanks man. And as far as quality gear, Metal is the best in the industry as far as I've heard. Is this correct? How long can I expect to use the gear before it starts to lose its stiffness?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gave single ply a shot. I recently gave it up to compete with a crew, raw. I'd like to build my base up a tad more as well and I have a raw total I'd like to achieve first. After that, I'd like to go multi-ply over single ply. If you're going supported, might as well go all out and get the biggest numbers. Plus, single ply is uncomfortable as hell. My raw numbers were 550/300/525 and single ply with a couple months training was 600/365/560.

It's really personal preference. Rodja is right, it's a completely different style of lifting, as much as the support helps-it still takes a lot out of you. Be prepared for longer sessions, cramming yourself into gear, your thighs covered in bruises and marks left from the bench shirt.

I got Inzer everything because it was cheap and they have a "bargain rack". I got half off a bench shirt and it looks/feels brand new. I'd probably go with Metal or Titan though. Rodja already stated he's a Metal fan, and I know two other geared lifters who both swear by Metal. Powerliftingwatch.com sometimes has stuff for sale people are getting rid of.

PROness. You're an *******. You gave the OP your opinion. I don't think he started this thread to create arguments over this ****.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK thanks man. And as far as quality gear, Metal is the best in the industry as far as I've heard. Is this correct? How long can I expect to use the gear before it starts to lose its stiffness?
I only have experience with Metal and I don't like to throw out the whole "best" moniker. Depending on the garment, they'll last years. One of the guys I train with has been using the same suit and shirt (Metal Ace) for 3+ years. My shirt is several years old as well and still has plenty of pop in it. If you have some good guys to train with, then buy new as they'll be able to help you get it on and how to use it properly. Otherwise, buy them used as you'll be able to get the feel of them easier as they're already broken in, but will still have life in them.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PROness. You're an *******. You gave the OP your opinion. I don't think he started this thread to create arguments over this ****.
This is a consistent theme with this guys posting.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like an expensive habit....
Not really. As I buy a new piece, I sell my old ones. I've spent ~$800 on gear since I transitioned, but sold another $300 worth as I moved onto new stuff and I won't be needing anything for awhile. I'm set on all of my gear (two briefs, suit, and shirt along with various wraps) after playing with various pieces for awhile.

gymguy21

Awards
I gave single ply a shot. I recently gave it up to compete with a crew, raw. I'd like to build my base up a tad more as well and I have a raw total I'd like to achieve first. After that, I'd like to go multi-ply over single ply. If you're going supported, might as well go all out and get the biggest numbers. Plus, single ply is uncomfortable as hell. My raw numbers were 550/300/525 and single ply with a couple months training was 600/365/560.

It's really personal preference. Rodja is right, it's a completely different style of lifting, as much as the support helps-it still takes a lot out of you. Be prepared for longer sessions, cramming yourself into gear, your thighs covered in bruises and marks left from the bench shirt.

I got Inzer everything because it was cheap and they have a "bargain rack". I got half off a bench shirt and it looks/feels brand new. I'd probably go with Metal or Titan though. Rodja already stated he's a Metal fan, and I know two other geared lifters who both swear by Metal. Powerliftingwatch.com sometimes has stuff for sale people are getting rid of.

I've been on powerliftingwatch.com but I guess I overlooked the classified section that they have on there. I'm open to any brand really but I've just been leaning towards metal since I haven't seen a bad review on their gear yet. Thanks for you input man, it helps out.

gymguy21

Awards
I only have experience with Metal and I don't like to throw out the whole "best" moniker. Depending on the garment, they'll last years. One of the guys I train with has been using the same suit and shirt (Metal Ace) for 3+ years. My shirt is several years old as well and still has plenty of pop in it. If you have some good guys to train with, then buy new as they'll be able to help you get it on and how to use it properly. Otherwise, buy them used as you'll be able to get the feel of them easier as they're already broken in, but will still have life in them.
Yeah I think I'll probably go the used route when I decide to get into gear.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been on powerliftingwatch.com but I guess I overlooked the classified section that they have on there. I'm open to any brand really but I've just been leaning towards metal since I haven't seen a bad review on their gear yet. Thanks for you input man, it helps out.
If you want to buy my single ply Inzer Max DL suit size 34 (195-210lbs) it's yours. I'm keeping the rest of my gear though. Research things a bit more and let me know anytime. I'm not trying to push it on you, just offering.

Suit slippers are 20 bucks from Inzer. I dumped baby powder on my thighs to help things slip up and to help with the chafe.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want to buy my single ply Inzer Max DL suit size 34 (195-210lbs) it's yours. I'm keeping the rest of my gear though. Research things a bit more and let me know anytime. I'm not trying to push it on you, just offering.

Suit slippers are 20 bucks from Inzer. I dumped baby powder on my thighs to help things slip up and to help with the chafe.
Baby powder under the slippers works well?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Baby powder under the slippers works well?
baby powder on thighs, put the slippers on, then some of the powder will go through the slippers to get the suit on even easier, then pulling the slippers out will be a tad easier. I just started using gold bond so I didnt smell like a 2 year old

wore mechanic gloves to save my fingers as well

then dangle cliffhanger style off the monolift

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sry about the jerk butting in but, Rodja is def giving you some sound advice and tips and Im glad your thread got his attention. Those lifts are def attainable raw and wish ya the best as you press forward lol. If ya ever post your routines and regimes link it and I will sub, as I live for seeing others advance.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
baby powder on thighs, put the slippers on, then some of the powder will go through the slippers to get the suit on even easier, then pulling the slippers out will be a tad easier. I just started using gold bond so I didnt smell like a 2 year old

I've tried shirt slippers a few times, and they don't come out. Gloves are a must, and the people that help me never use them. I only have the briefs, so I get two guys to hold me up so I can bicycle.

gymguy21

Awards

Might have to stock up on baby powder for sure.

gymguy21

Awards
So can a squat suit be used for dead lifts or would I need a separate suit ? And what about briefs? Is there one that I could just use for both? Or are they setup differently? I squat a little wide but nothing crazy wide and conventional dead lift if that helps.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I hated my squat suit for deads. Didn't feel right. Always overpowered my back. Never got a dead specific suit, but be more careful back wise if you get allot of extra leg power with it. Back injuries suck.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hated my squat suit for deads. Didn't feel right. Always overpowered my back. Never got a dead specific suit, but be more careful back wise if you get allot of extra leg power with it. Back injuries suck.
860 squat? Sounds like you should start a thread and give away your secrets

PROness

Awards
You're an idiot.
Wow great argument... you should be a lawyer... or learn to laugh a little. :-/

Anyways the OP sure as hell shouldn't be using gear especially with those numbers... not until he milks every last drop out of his raw lifts.

gymguy21

Awards
Wow great argument... you should be a lawyer... or learn to laugh a little. :-/

Anyways the OP sure as hell shouldn't be using gear especially with those numbers... not until he milks every last drop out of his raw lifts.
Man I thought you actually got the hint and left the thread. But I guess not. Every time I read your post I just think about the dbags that think they have great form and are awesome at lifting like johnnyroundbackdeadlift or idonttouchmychestbenchcuztheysayitsbad.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry this forum is boring as hell without an ******* who challenges everything. Especially the exercise science nerds.
Except for how rodja is very likely more experienced when it comes to weight training, more experienced (and accomplished) as a geared (and likely raw) PLer.

Which is completely disregarding the years he went to school studying it.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
860 squat? Sounds like you should start a thread and give away your secrets
Well, been lifting since I was 11, 35 now. Had allot of good advice starting out. My 860 squat is at my youtube, Fryfamily1978. That was back in 99 when I weighed around 300 and before I got shot in the stomach and decided to diet down. A experienced lifter can add hundreds to a lift with the proper suit. My warning about to much leg drive is for any numbers. If it's heavy to him, that's the same as heavy to me. Overpowering your back in a dead with your legs is asking for injury. I know. I fought a good 5-6 years with a bulged disc that would send me to the floor whenever I would go above 400. I'm better now but the 590 triple I was doing (easy at the time) destroyed me for years. That was ten years ago. Suit lifting is way different than raw. Be very cautious as you go up in weight, the suits can make you pull in directions your unready for when your new.

gymguy21

Awards
So from your guys experience, is there any gear out there that allows you to keep your same groove or close to it? Or is it just completely different?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So from your guys experience, is there any gear out there that allows you to keep your same groove or close to it? Or is it just completely different?
Definitely not with multi ply.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a different experience dude. I kept my normal squat stance with the single ply. Switched to sumo for deads to get a bit more out of it, actually I prefer sumo now for raw as well. Benching is completely different.

gymguy21

Awards
It's a different experience dude. I kept my normal squat stance with the single ply. Switched to sumo for deads to get a bit more out of it, actually I prefer sumo now for raw as well. Benching is completely different.
OK cool thanks guys. Just trying to learn more about geared lifting and see if I want to make that jump

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK cool thanks guys. Just trying to learn more about geared lifting and see if I want to make that jump
Definitely keep building your base. Gearing up without the requisite core strength is a recipe for disaster. Especially the upper back. That comes into play in all three lifts.

PROness

Awards
Except for how rodja is very likely more experienced when it comes to weight training, more experienced (and accomplished) as a geared (and likely raw) PLer.

Which is completely disregarding the years he went to school studying it.
You willing to put money on that?