Wendler's Beyond 5/3/1

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Let us discuss the new ebook, modifications/additions to 5/3/1, and other new Wendler goodness.

I like the idea of the Joker sets, but the percentages still baffle me. On the 5/3/1 week I'm prescribed to pull 125% of my 85% training max? That's still OVER my actual max every 5/3/1 week. Yo no comprende.

First set last? Legit.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need to go buy this. Should be a solid read.

In4 more opinions and discussion. :cool:

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I havent it but havent read it yet.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In for discussion. Wanna get it when I have some coin.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to read through it a few more times to take it all in, but it's definitely a big expansion and almost a reinvention of the program.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to read through it a few more times to take it all in, but it's definitely a big expansion and almost a reinvention of the program.
I just started it earlier today at work, and I noticed that as well.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He certainly changed some things up. I think one of the big things he addresses with the change is the claim that the OG version "didn't have enough heavy sets".

I've read people assert that working up to only 80 or 85% of an already reduced training max coupled with the 4th week deload kept it from being a truly big time strength protocol. I think that should be put to bed.

shawn bellon

shawn bellon

Awards
Let me know what you think. I just bought Josh Bryant's benching ebook. GREAT READ!

napalm

napalm

Awards
This, my mind was blown after the first 20 pages.

Def gonna have to read this a few times...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've read people assert that working up to only 80 or 85% of an already reduced training max coupled with the 4th week deload kept it from being a truly big time strength protocol. I think that should be put to bed.
I think I was one. It seemed to help a bit with "multi rep" maxes in the AMRAP sets, but the transfer to heavy singles were not enough.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Just read the quick review by Tate. He said that they sold >30,000 copies of 531 on efs alone. That's not taking into account the 2nd, and now 3rd versions.

531 has been berry berry good to wendler...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I was one. It seemed to help a bit with "multi rep" maxes in the AMRAP sets, but the transfer to heavy singles were not enough.
Well you'll be interested in the new protocol. LOTS of heavy singles factored in.

napalm

napalm

Awards
The bbb template at the top of p. 20 makes me sore just reading it.

5x10 @ 65/70/75% depending on the week AFTER work sets...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So has anyone unlocked the secret to joker sets for me yet?

napalm

napalm

Awards
not yet, the new bbb is both intriguing and frightening at the same time.

i might try it w my squat...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just don't understand the percentages. How can my last set be 110% of my ACTUAL max? Yo no comprende.

shawn bellon

shawn bellon

Awards
Haven't read it. Not sure I will buy it. I like reading but I have enough ideas. :)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Haven't read it. Not sure I will buy it. I like reading but I have enough ideas. :)
I'm an information whore. I have probably 30 assorted training-related ebooks. My hard copy library is pretty formidable as well. ;)

However, sometimes too much info can be a bad thing...training confusion from overload might be worse than lack of knowledge and just lifting til you're tired.

Know what I'm sayin?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just don't understand the percentages. How can my last set be 110% of my ACTUAL max? Yo no comprende.
I have not read it yet, but could it be, Jim is having you start the maxes again at a lower % under your actual max?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have not read it yet, but could it be, Jim is having you start the maxes again at a lower % under your actual max?
He has the training max at 85-90%, but if my actual max is 500, that puts my TM @ 425. However, in one scenario he calls for a joker set of 125% of TM, which is 531#. So on week 3 he expects a 31# PR? It just doesn't add up. Here's another example (c/p from ebook)

For example, let’s say that you have a 400 pound training max for the bench press, your workout would look like this (TM = 400):
Base Workout
• Bar x 10 reps
• 120x5reps
• 160x5reps
• 200x3reps
• 240x3reps
• 280x1rep
• 320x1rep
• 360x1rep
• 400x6reps
Joker Sets
• 420x1rep
• 440x1rep
• 460x1rep

So I'm supposed to be able to hit my TM for 6 reps? And in this scenario, the actual max might be 440-450. In w1 of 531 I'm prescribed to get a 10-20# PR?

Confused, I am.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You might be focusing too much on the percentage. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I could've sworn he says to use your actual Max and go for a rep PR in the beginning when talking about joker sets.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You might be focusing too much on the percentage. I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I could've sworn he says to use your actual Max and go for a rep PR in the beginning when talking about joker sets.
I think you're right. From p32

"Joker sets are simple – after you push the last set (always push that last set for a PR, no matter what), increase 5% or 10% from the last set and perform 5 reps, 3 reps or 1 rep (depending on the week). Keep increasing 5% or 10% until you feel that you cannot make the requisite reps. Once you cannot get the reps, you are free to keep adding 10% jumps for singles. This is up to you and how you feel on that day."

Makes more sense.

ITW

ITW

Awards
I like his new program outline that deviates from the whole 5/3/1 aspect a bit. Joker sets and first set last down sets included of course

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm an information whore. I have probably 30 assorted training-related ebooks. My hard copy library is pretty formidable as well. ;)

However, sometimes too much info can be a bad thing...training confusion from overload might be worse than lack of knowledge and just lifting til you're tired.

Know what I'm sayin?
Ummm we should talk..

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He has the training max at 85-90%, but if my actual max is 500, that puts my TM @ 425. However, in one scenario he calls for a joker set of 125% of TM, which is 531#. So on week 3 he expects a 31# PR? It just doesn't add up. Here's another example (c/p from ebook)

For example, let’s say that you have a 400 pound training max for the bench press, your workout would look like this (TM = 400):
Base Workout
• Bar x 10 reps
• 120x5reps
• 160x5reps
• 200x3reps
• 240x3reps
• 280x1rep
• 320x1rep
• 360x1rep
• 400x6reps
Joker Sets
• 420x1rep
• 440x1rep
• 460x1rep

So I'm supposed to be able to hit my TM for 6 reps? And in this scenario, the actual max might be 440-450. In w1 of 531 I'm prescribed to get a 10-20# PR?

Confused, I am.
You better get super strong...