Another deadlift form check video

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Hello all

I've been training with 5x5 for a few months and I'm really enjoying it. I'm starting to get really into powerlifting. I just wanna be sure on form is up to par.

I wanted to see if I could get some vets to critique my form. I know there was another thread on this not long ago, but I didn't wanna highjack. Thanks in advance. Sorry, can't post links yet.

h tt p://youtu.be/Fxai0mPfk9k

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://youtu.be/Fxai0mPfk9k

Wasn't terrible man. Hips might have shot up a tad fast before the bar broke the floor. Keep a neutral head position. Slightly rounded back in the initial portion of the pull. All that can be easily fixed though. I'm no expert either..

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
His back looked rounded before the pull even started.

Almost like you aren't mobile enough to get down to the bar with your hips back and chest up

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, and second you went to pull, you could see a bunch of slack come out of your back/shoulders

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
His back looked rounded before the pull even started.

Almost like you aren't mobile enough to get down to the bar with your hips back and chest up
I agree-I'd like to see a flatter back on a sub maximal attempt.

Yeah, and second you went to pull, you could see a bunch of slack come out of your back/shoulders
X2-get tight to pull that thing.

It's so hard to tell at lighter weights; the form breakdowns change as the weight get heavier.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Thx guys, I did see my back round in that vid as well. Even tho the weight was only 300lb, my current max is 335. I pulled this weight 6-7 times today(felt light), but had my son video tape so most of the video wasn't usable to look at form.

So to correct back rounding, should I get knees and ass a little lower, lock my upper body in once I grip the bar and stay tense? I'm trying to drive off my heels as much as I can, but I end up scooping with my upper body when the bar first breaks the ground. Should I maybe widen my stance a few inches to get a little lower to the ground since I have t-Rex arms?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hm unless pulling sumo, I learned that I'm stronger with a narrow stance. I would just work on hip mobility. Bend over, grab the bar, and then pull your hips down into it.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're T-Rex ish (as I am), give sumo a try. It's tough to get form pinned down, but it helps a TON with bar travel.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Thx guys. Ill play around a little bit when my wife's around to film. Ill update with another vid when I feel like I have a handle on keeping my back straight and get some opinions on where I'm at with it.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agree with others...
Hips came up before bar moved, so shoulders want to drift forward out past bar.
Make head more neutral don't have to jack it up so high
Chest up, not necessarily head, will lock low and mid back in tight better.
Think more pulling back while up, weight more on heels.
Shoot hips forward and chest/shoulders back/up

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
http://youtu.be/KkWiMu3VX7s

How's this look guys? I'm still monkeying around with my stance a little because I feel like my foot placement affects my hip mobility, but I think I'm starting to get setup a little better. What do you guys think? I wanna get my form squared away before I start moving into heavier weights so I don't screw my back up.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It looked a bit better to me than the first vid. It was a bit dark so I could not see specifically your feet, and how close to the bar you were, but it appeared as though you were more back on the heels which is good. You look as if you are certainly starting with the hips low enough!? Maybe a little to low, but not sure how comfortable that is for you or where you feel more power.
Your low back appears a bit rounded, but I am not sure if that is your build or not!? If you are keeping it tight, it may be quite fine.
You do not have to jet the head way up and back (especially at the finish). Just keep it in a natural position.
As far as feet, some say a slight flare and you get more hip drive at finish at the top but a little harder start off the floor. If you start the feet more even spaced, the reverse is a general consensus.

How does your squat compare to your DL?
You look like you may be a good or even better squatter!?
Good strong stuff...!

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Yes, I've gotta get the head a little more neutral, as it seems like I'm stuck in the habit of cocking it back for whatever reason. I do feel like I'm going a little too deep with my hips when I setup, and its kind of cumbersome, so I might keep toying around until I'm comfortable. I've been doing some high bar squats atg to work on hip mobility, but I think I just need to find a happy medium between coorect form and comfort.

Sorry about the poor video quality. You can't see, but I set my feet slightly wider (like an inch or two) than shoulder width, toes pointing slightly outward, with the bar over half my foot, usually about three inches out from my shins while standing and slightly brushing against them as I setup. I try to set up with most of my weight on my heels and drive off of them.

My squat is a little lacking but close to dl. I hit 300 on squat last week, and 353 on dl two weeks ago. I could prob squeeze out a few more pounds on my squat no problem, but I've been trying to cut for awhile and usually my cals are around 1800 (slightly more on w/o days), so I go by how much energy I have when I try to set a pr, and if I don't feel I got it, I don't try and adjust my weight and sets. It's def getting very counterproductive trying to lose weight and increase my lifts now that I'm getting into higher weights tho.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, I've gotta get the head a little more neutral, as it seems like I'm stuck in the habit of cocking it back for whatever reason. I do feel like I'm going a little too deep with my hips when I setup, and its kind of cumbersome, so I might keep toying around until I'm comfortable. I've been doing some high bar squats atg to work on hip mobility, but I think I just need to find a happy medium between coorect form and comfort.
Okay, well I even meant more at your finish as you lockout, you r head kicks back and up some.

with the bar over half my foot, usually about three inches out from my shins while standing and slightly brushing against them as I setup. I try to set up with most of my weight on my heels and drive off of them.
Okay, well you might want to try getting the bar closer than 3 inches and see if keeping it closer to your center of grav gives you better power and pulling leverages.

My squat is a little lacking but close to dl. I hit 300 on squat last week, and 353 on dl two weeks ago. I could prob squeeze out a few more pounds on my squat no problem, but I've been trying to cut for awhile and usually my cals are around 1800 (slightly more on w/o days), so I go by how much energy I have when I try to set a pr, and if I don't feel I got it, I don't try and adjust my weight and sets. It's def getting very counterproductive trying to lose weight and increase my lifts now that I'm getting into higher weights tho.
Hang in there, that is pretty strong stuff and just move it slow and steady without trying big jumps. You'll get there.
Also, lose Bweight as slow as you can, that way you retain more lean tissue and lose the adipose without sacrificing muscle loss. Lose #1-#2 a week, In 52 weeks, well you do the math...! Ha ha
Good stuff guy and keep up the good work.

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
Your form isn't bad, we always have room for improvement. Not a bad starting point. I haven't competed in years but plan to restart. It's great, you vs the iron. Strength will stall out on those low calories, that's ok just don't get frustrated as long as your leaning out, that's progress, just different progress. Then give a good month after your done cutting to expect strength gains. I would try flattening your back a bit more, pull up slightly and preload with your back before engaging leg drive, then explode. Keep up the good work.

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
http://youtu.be/nRLxGT9ltpM

I wanted to throw up a new video just for the hell of it to see if I'm improving, staying the same, or going backwards. This is 360lbs. It's currently my max. It felt extremely light the first pull, and this vid was probably the fourth or fifth pull of the w/o. I'm sure I could have at least gotten 370# once if I had more oly weights..

I'm on a quest to hit 400lb by the end of the month, and I WILL! I just gotta buy 40lb of weights before I can, lol.

I see I'm still cocking my head, but tbh I'm more comfortable keeping it at that angle than I am when it's neutral. Is it likely to cause me any problems by continuing to do it?

It looks to me like my back is staying pretty flat, I'm certainly trying hard to keep it tight and lock in when I set up.

I've been trying to work on hip mobility by doing atg squats, and I feel like its helped a lot.

Let me know what you all think. I've been following a lot of the threads being posted lately about form and I appreciate all the info! It's nice having guys steer you in the right direction to keep you honest.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, it is kinda dark and not real easy to see how close you are to bar etc., but from what I can see, it appears that your legs might straighten a bit quick(er) [stop at 08 and see what you think!?] than a follow thru hip thrust forward move And it looks like you're somewhat moving it into a rounder back with neck stretched upward top of an RDL type pull.
Thinking out loud, I am wondering if you can get your chest up a bit and try to pull your shoulder blades back and towards your glutes a bit.
(See how that might feel?)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed w/ Paul. Try to seesaw yourself into position.

Make sure you're fully locking out and squeezing your glutes. Couldn't tell but you might have

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Try to seesaw yourself into position.

Make sure you're fully locking out and squeezing your glutes. Couldn't tell but you might have
I'll give the seesaw technique some practice, as hip mobility seems like my biggest problem to me. When I get down deep its extremely uncomfortable and feels awkward to pull because it causes my arms to kick out of parallel and throws off my cog. I'm a short limbed long torso type of build.

I read a good article on technique recently that suggested pulling from a deficit to work on hip mobility problems, so I'm gonna give that a try when I'm at the gym, or can grab one for cheap to put in the basement.

PB, if you think that the head angle is causing my back to round, I'll train myself to stay neutral.

I'll also work on thrusting hips harder when locking out. I do squeeze my ass when I lock out, it's just that I've got sum extra ass, so it's hard to tell on the vid lol.

Thanks for the input so far. Let me know whatever else you guys see that I need practice on.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you go too deep you'll lose leverage. Hip just above knees is good. I just mean to get behind the bar more (from what I can see)

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PB, if you think that the head angle is causing my back to round, I'll train myself to stay neutral.
Not necessarily. I think it was more your legs straightening too fast on that one, which then tips the weight somewhat forward and can cause a more rounded pull to keep the bar closer and try and compensate for the low back having to do the rest of the torso straightening.

As far as deficits!? Maybe, but just be careful you do not go so high on them as to upset your normal pulling form. Some guys think going 3" or so is magic and will help them greatly, but if it puts there pull in a compromised position, or craps up the leverages, all that can happen is a low back strain. Not sure if you need them yet, because I am no authority. Maybe just honing in on the floor more and then adding a slight, say 1" deficit and seeing from there!? Believe me, sometimes a deficit can make #25 pounds feel like #90...! I am also speaking from a body type that is more built for pulling, ie: longer legs and arms and a shorter to med torso so 2" deficit is pretty good for me.
As far as the hip thrust, yeah it was hard to tell since it was kinda dark. If you are comfortable and are pulling strong they way you are doing, then ride it out and change things slowly over time, so as to not get info overload.

Strong stuff and hang in there