Core, How and How Often?
- 06-03-2013, 07:44 AM
- 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I like to hit my core twice a week but i hit it kinda hard with 10x10 leg lifts and decline twist sit ups and always on leg day. Not sure why on the last part just feels good to finish legs with some good core work.
- 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Fancy core work
I've read a lot of posts describing days or hours dedicated solely to core work. My thoughts are as follows.
1. Strong core is essential.
2. Dedicated "core" exercises are often not needed and inefficient.
3. I suggest for a strong core SQUAT heavy and often. Preferably front squats if core stability and strength are goals. Balance 315 or even 225 on traps for 3+ reps and then evaluate what worked core harder that or your fancy Russian plank or weighted plank. Another goodie is overhead squats.
5. I guarantee someone who can front squat heavy has and will develop more core strength then someone who does legs bare minimum and devotes time to "core work"
06-03-2013, 02:38 PM
The major issue comes in developing and strengthening the deep stabilizer muscles in a way that will enhance the ability to squat and deadlift. This is especially important when there is an imbalance in strength between the global and local core, as there is in many strength athletes. And this is where bridge work becomes essential, in developing the local core.
06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
06-03-2013, 02:43 PM
On my Off days 4x/week;
30 weighted crunches using 10lb plate (10 reps each left/middle/right = 30 crunches)
30 weighted leg raises using 10lb plate (10 reps each left/middle/right = 30 leg raises)
60 second plank
45 second side-plank x2
Takes about 5 minutes total, maybe lil' more
06-03-2013, 02:44 PM
I actually agree with you when it come to more experienced lifters who have achieved a truly strong core from compound lifts like mentioned. Then it can be perfected with focus on minor improvements to stability and imbalances. I just feel a majority of lifters I see in many gyms think they can skip the true strength builders and focus on doing 30 sec or min long planks and get strong core... They will get real good at planks sure but true pick up heavy weight and lift it strength wont be achieved
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
12-20-2013, 01:03 AM
01-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By JohnnyGotJacked in forum AnabolicsReplies: 44Last Post: 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM
- By Gaf Knee in forum SupplementsReplies: 1Last Post: 08-13-2003, 01:27 PM
- By YellowJacket in forum AnabolicsReplies: 1Last Post: 02-05-2003, 12:34 AM
- By The Answer in forum Weight LossReplies: 1Last Post: 01-28-2003, 08:48 PM