Herderdude Takes On The Strongest Man in Pittsburgh - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 6

Herderdude Takes On The Strongest Man in Pittsburgh

Page 6 of 8 First ... 45678 Last
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by herderdude View Post
    Dead center.
    No bueno, hope it heals fast.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    NomZ[at]seriousnutritionsolutions.com
    All posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not reflect the views of SNS.

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Alright, I've been sitting on my hands for long enough. I'm going to pull until I feel some discomfort.

Going back to high-bar squatting. I feel like low bar has some advantages over high-bar, but it impacts my biceps tendonitis and now that my back has been injured multiple times, I'm sacrificing a few pounds on my total in the short term for longevity's sake.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Alright, I've been sitting on my hands for long enough. I'm going to pull until I feel some discomfort. Going back to high-bar squatting. I feel like low bar has some advantages over high-bar, but it impacts my biceps tendonitis and now that my back has been injured multiple times, I'm sacrificing a few pounds on my total in the short term for longevity's sake.
    Smart man, a good high-bar squat will carry over with quad and glute strength if you ever switch back.Get a squat safety bar too? lol
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NomZ View Post
    Smart man, a good high-bar squat will carry over with quad and glute strength if you ever switch back.Get a squat safety bar too? lol
    Dude, the next time I have money right, I might be getting a safety bar. Or a squat suit. Such an expensive hobby. . . So many options.
    Training log:
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Dude, the next time I have money right, I might be getting a safety bar. Or a squat suit. Such an expensive hobby. . . So many options.
    http://www.davedraper.com/fitness_pr...oduct/TTS.html

This is what I used, I imagine if you have a shop or know a welder/machinist, he could make something similar.

Take to any gym, pop on the bar and squat.

Unless you plan to go single ply and stay the same size, don't waste the money IMO.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

http://www.davedraper.com/fitness_pr...oduct/TTS.html

This is what I used, I imagine if you have a shop or know a welder/machinist, he could make something similar.

Take to any gym, pop on the bar and squat.

Unless you plan to go single ply and stay the same size, don't waste the money IMO.
    Funny enough, my dad is a machinist, my boss is a former machinist, and the guy whose house I'm building is a machinist. No shortage of them in the Steel City.

My thoughts are I have the multi-ply briefs. I kind of one day want to give multi-ply a shot. And single ply. And compete and train raw. I'll have to narrow my options at some point, I know. But right now I'm not sure of the direction I want to go.
    Training log:
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Funny enough, my dad is a machinist, my boss is a former machinist, and the guy whose house I'm building is a machinist. No shortage of them in the Steel City.My thoughts are I have the multi-ply briefs. I kind of one day want to give multi-ply a shot. And single ply. And compete and train raw. I'll have to narrow my options at some point, I know. But right now I'm not sure of the direction I want to go.
    My grandma lives up in Allegheny county, I'm jelly of the strongman opportunity you have. Strongman is way more fun than PL, my first meet was a small strongman comp.Ya stick with those and try out single ply one day. It was fun for me, but I love raw (+wraps). Gear is too much hassle, but sure is fun to throw on the squat suit or pull.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

My grandma lives up in Allegheny county, I'm jelly of the strongman opportunity you have. Strongman is way more fun than PL, my first meet was a small strongman comp.Ya stick with those and try out single ply one day. It was fun for me, but I love raw (+wraps). Gear is too much hassle, but sure is fun to throw on the squat suit or pull.
    I really wish I could've competed on Saturday. It was a huge error to get injured in training. I'm going to be on the lookout for strongman comps, and I plan on training with implements for the hell of it for the forseeable future.
    Training log:
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

5/13 Back Test

Conventional Deadlift
    Barx50
    135x12
    225x8 started to notice my back on these
    315x0,0 first one went up fast, fell back to the floor just as fast, and then was completed. It was an odd motion. No pain, just a hitch where my body gave out for a split second. Shelfing them for a little while longer.

Bench
    Barx12
    135x8
    225x3
    275x1
    335x1

Bench is almost normal. No discomfort. Butt moved, may or may not have been called depending on attentiveness of judge. I blame a hasty warmup and having my brother do strict calls like last time.

Perhaps I'll bench on the 25th. I'd definitely like to get on the platform and compete. I'll be there anyway to handle Lamonster, so why not make my trip worth something?
    Training log:
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Glad to see your backs healing up brother.
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

^that
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try to pull sumo in gear tonight and see if my back likes that. I'd really like to do this meet.
    Training log:
  13. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Sumo pulls were officially a no-go. Pulled 225 once with good pop, and the second pull brought on a twinge. Time to double down on the same physical therapy worksheet I got last time and get to pulling that sled. I'm only 23, I will heal and the strength will return. This should give me some time to dial in my dumb stupid tiny little bench shirt and dial in my god-awful diet. Seriously, guys. It's Dave Tate-esque.
    Training log:
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Herder, I have the e-book Cube Method for Strongman if you want it.
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Herder, I have the e-book Cube Method for Strongman if you want it.
    Man! I bought that sucker back in April. Thanks, though.
    Training log:
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Squatted 225x5x5 to a 13" box yesterday, last four sets in briefs. Actual depth is a whole different animal in gear. 13" is well below parallel with a hip crease and vertical shin, but I felt a little compression doing it. I'll hold off on those for awhile longer.

Today was a sled day.

Pull-thru type walk
    Sledx60yds

Pull-thru (wide/narrow feet)
    Sledx20/20

One arm row
    Sledx24 each arm

Facepull
    Sledx20

Upright harness drag (straight leg, pull through heels)
    Sled+50x60yds

Pull thru
    Sled+50x15/15

Harness Drag (normal)
    Sled+140x30yd walk/30yd sprint

Prowl (posts)
    +140x30yd walk/ 30yd sprint

Just trying to keep the activity level up and help my brother recover (he's doing WS4SB and he has a Strength Training class in school [wtf that's so unfair]), but he wanted to pick up the intensity a little bit.
    Training log:
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I blew up the sleeves on my bench shirt yesterday, so today I took it for a spin. Went like this:

Barxa milli
    95x12
    135x10
    185x8
    225x5
    275x1
    315x1 woof, not good
    add shirt
    315x3 to a 3
    365x3 to a 2
    405x3 to a 2
    425x1 to a 1
    450x0 no touch, couldn't lock it out.

I'm really curious as to why I can't get a touch in a single ply shirt with four hundred fifty pounds. I wonder if it's even single ply. I'd like to think I'd be able to tell the difference. Videos in a little bit.

Shirt off, add slingshot
    365x1 wasn't ready for less support
    315x3

Sled work

Notes on sled: lunges are rough, and I highly recommend doing light walks holding the harness between your legs with a band around your knees. Monster walks with resistance, very effective.
    Training log:
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

What do you mean blew up the sleeves? You have the Rage X? Thought you had multi. You should be able to feel the 2 layers.

I've yet to go for a touch obviously but my understanding is that you have to pull the bar into your chest, no?
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post
    What do you mean blew up the sleeves? You have the Rage X? Thought you had multi. You should be able to feel the 2 layers.

I've yet to go for a touch obviously but my understanding is that you have to pull the bar into your chest, no?
    The sleeves wouldn't slide down all the way, so I deflated footballs, stuffed them in the sleeves, and then blew them up until they were stretching it and left it that way. A couple hours for the shoulder end, a couple for the cuff.

I have a Rage, not a Rage X. Slight difference, though I can't remember what it is. You definitely have to pull the bar down, I don't know if maybe I didn't pull hard enough or what.
    Training log:
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Here's 405x3 I'd like to figure out what I did on rep one that I didn't do on two and three, because that **** flew.

405x3 to a 2 - YouTube

Here's 425

425 to a 1 - YouTube

The black sleeves are cut off from an under armour shirt. Probably not legal, but I'll be damned if I could pull those out from under the shirt after it got set.
    Training log:
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

If you want to touch with less weight, don't pull the shirt down, pull it up around the collar. Widen your grip if possible, and when the bar stops moving, arch harder and pull your chest to the bar.

Get a pair of shirt slippers to ease getting it on.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

If you want to touch with less weight, don't pull the shirt down, pull it up around the collar. Widen your grip if possible, and when the bar stops moving, arch harder and pull your chest to the bar.

Get a pair of shirt slippers to ease getting it on.
    Thanks, bud. Are the shirt slippers the same spandex material but just with the strap for around your hand? I can process all of those form points with 315 in my hands, but after that, my technique is more along the lines of: DON'T DUMP IT ON YOUR HEAD
    Training log:
  23. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I bet if you put baby powder on the upper part of the under armor sleeves before you put the shirt on, someone would be able to pull them out. That's what I have to do with my suit slippers to get em off my thighs, along with chunks of hair.

I think I'll be buying a Rage very soon..
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.

Thanks, bud. Are the shirt slippers the same spandex material but just with the strap for around your hand? I can process all of those form points with 315 in my hands, but after that, my technique is more along the lines of: DON'T DUMP IT ON YOUR HEAD
    Yep, smaller and shorter than suit slippers, same thing though.

lol takes a lot of practice, I wasn't even that good in a shirt for all the 3 months I spent in it.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

I bet if you put baby powder on the upper part of the under armor sleeves before you put the shirt on, someone would be able to pull them out. That's what I have to do with my suit slippers to get em off my thighs, along with chunks of hair.

I think I'll be buying a Rage very soon..
    Both of those statements are good calls. The Rage is really forgiving on groove as well. I've heard other shirts (specifically the Super Katana) are very finicky on their groove. I would call a dealer and tell them how you want your shirt and give them your measurements and get it perfect, because I'm having a really hard time deciphering this one.
    Training log:
  26. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Yep, smaller and shorter than suit slippers, same thing though.

lol takes a lot of practice, I wasn't even that good in a shirt for all the 3 months I spent in it.
    I remember the first session I had in my standard Blast shirt, I hit 385 for a new PR and I'm thinking "I don't get what all the fuss is about this stuff"

Now I know.
    Training log:
  27. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Both of those statements are good calls. The Rage is really forgiving on groove as well. I've heard other shirts (specifically the Super Katana) are very finicky on their groove. I would call a dealer and tell them how you want your shirt and give them your measurements and get it perfect, because I'm having a really hard time deciphering this one.
    lol like I know how I want my bench shirt, I'm clueless...I want it to make me put up a crap ton of weight
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

lol like I know how I want my bench shirt, I'm clueless...I want it to make me put up a crap ton of weight
    Just say you're very new and you'd like a shirt model that you can learn quickly (that isn't a Blast) and a size that isn't too extreme. I still think you should get something from Metal, but that's because it's not my money
    Training log:
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Just say you're very new and you'd like a shirt model that you can learn quickly (that isn't a Blast) and a size that isn't too extreme. I still think you should get something from Metal, but that's because it's not my money
    Yeah well I rear ended a Mercedes Benz and paid for 2 plane tickets to fly home in July.

Inzer is currently in my price range, unless its the Metal Viking Presser
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Lol. I was just on Inzernet and I do not see a multi-ply option for the Rage. I'm officially stumped.
    Training log:
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

Lol. I was just on Inzernet and I do not see a multi-ply option for the Rage. I'm officially stumped.
    Rage is single. Rage X can be double
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  32. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Rage is single. Rage X can be double
    I'm just wondering how in the fack I can't touch with 450.
    Training log:
  33. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.

I'm just wondering how in the fack I can't touch with 450.
    http://youtu.be/E27sf8btio0

Hitler suggests tryin to hide a board underneath your shirt
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Just found this on EFS. Bookmarked.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...r-should-read/
    Training log:
  35. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

So on Tuesday I did deadlifts with 135, two sets apiece of snatch grip from the floor, conventional, and sumo, respectively. I was sore on Wednesday, but felt as good as I have this morning.

Today I did about 12-15 sets of squats. Empty bar for several sets, 135, 185, started pausing them at 225, hit 275 a couple times, belted up for 285x3 and then hit 320x1 paused.

I think I'll be doing a lot of pausing as I'm unstable and weak in the hole. Felt good to have some weight on my back.

I'm handling Lamonster for the meet on Saturday, I think I'm going to bench. Sign up for equipped, take an opener at 375, and try to get a touch with the Rage whether I make or I miss it.
    Training log:
  36. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

So on Tuesday I did deadlifts with 135, two sets apiece of snatch grip from the floor, conventional, and sumo, respectively. I was sore on Wednesday, but felt as good as I have this morning.

Today I did about 12-15 sets of squats. Empty bar for several sets, 135, 185, started pausing them at 225, hit 275 a couple times, belted up for 285x3 and then hit 320x1 paused.

I think I'll be doing a lot of pausing as I'm unstable and weak in the hole. Felt good to have some weight on my back.

I'm handling Lamonster for the meet on Saturday, I think I'm going to bench. Sign up for equipped, take an opener at 375, and try to get a touch with the Rage whether I make or I miss it.
    Take it easy w the deads bro, it'll take a little time. Nice job w the squats, I have the same problem...
  37. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Take it easy w the deads bro, it'll take a little time. Nice job w the squats, I have the same problem...
    Thanks, man. It was amazing how hard it was to move ~65% of what was my 1RM. I need to get a lot of volume in to get my core and hips back where they were. Definitely needed to start moving light weights again, my mobility was getting horrendous.
    Training log:
  38. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

I haven't dl'd in 3 months because of a hammy. Im gonna test it next week...
  39. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    I haven't dl'd in 3 months because of a hammy. Im gonna test it next week...
    Oh, damn! I'm so sorry. Have you tried light rack pulls or anything?
    Training log:
  40. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Oh, damn! I'm so sorry. Have you tried light rack pulls or anything?
    Nope, it hurt right off the floor so I stopped. Didn't bother me squatting though...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Yet another take on the Protein Shake
    By ChuckBooty in forum Recipes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
  2. CLEAR SHOT...on the rocks...NOW IN STOCK!
    By stryder in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 02:24 PM
  3. The Angriest man in the World
    By Bionic in forum General Chat
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
  4. On the edges: Nutrition in the grocery store
    By yeahright in forum Nutrition / Health
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
  5. Another take on the recent busts