Weighted dips - AnabolicMinds.com

Weighted dips

1. New Member

Weighted dips

I weigh 160 I was wondering how much weight should I use on weighted dips to increase my bench 1rm

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

best way is trial and error with different weight and rep ranges. no one can tell you how much, if i said 100lbs would you try it?
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  216 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Depends on a bunch of factors, mainly your strength in that particular exercise. Start at body weight and go from there. If they're super easy, add some weight. Challenge yourself, adjust accordingly. I like to mix high(12-15), med(6-10), and low(1-5) sets.
    •   

4. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    best way is trial and error with different weight and rep ranges. no one can tell you how much, if i said 100lbs would you try it?
    I Appreciate it and yeah I usually work out with just a 45 I can do it about 18 times
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Depends on where your weakness is on bench. Dips may or may not assist them. You could just as easily have a technical or mental flaw as you can have a physical flaw.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member

weighted dips are great for developing tricep power, but as for an amount of weight that is relative to your body weight and natural strength curve....I for example have benched a 405 raw single at 190lbs bodyweight, and have done dips for reps with 4 -45lbs plates around my waste....my training partner has hit 550 @ 280lbs bodyweight and cant do dips with much weight at all. Does this mean I have stronger tri's than him? NO, its just dips....just shoot for 10 rep sets ans slowly increase the weight, your bench will go up.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    weighted dips are great for developing tricep power, but as for an amount of weight that is relative to your body weight and natural strength curve....I for example have benched a 405 raw single at 190lbs bodyweight, and have done dips for reps with 4 -45lbs plates around my waste....my training partner has hit 550 @ 280lbs bodyweight and cant do dips with much weight at all. Does this mean I have stronger tri's than him? NO, its just dips....just shoot for 10 rep sets ans slowly increase the weight, your bench will go up.
    I believe that dips translate better to the Overhead Press which may be why your buddy isn't so hot at dips.

Quote Originally Posted by and_drew17 View Post
    I weigh 160 I was wondering how much weight should I use on weighted dips to increase my bench 1rm
    If you want to get better at the bench press, then bench press. There are at least 20 variations out there that all can assist in increasing your 1RM.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Depends on where your weakness is on bench. Dips may or may not assist them. You could just as easily have a technical or mental flaw as you can have a physical flaw.
    Agree with Rodja, and or your build or leverages, as some guys who are great at dipping do not have good carryover to the BP and vice versa.
    That all said, just add some weight slowly, like you would on any other weight movement and see where it takes you on both.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My 200lb weighted dip for 3 reps video!
    By evandem27 in forum Pics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 06:34 AM
  2. Hanging weights during pull-ups/dips...
    By soseg in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM
  4. Weighted dips
    By itzgambino in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
  5. Maxing Out On Weighted Dips
    By fbxdan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35