gaining strength without gaining mass? (pound 4 pound) - AnabolicMinds.com

gaining strength without gaining mass? (pound 4 pound)

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.

gaining strength without gaining mass? (pound 4 pound)

due to my economic situation i've decided on joining the armed forces (not sure which yet).

anyway, i talked with the recruiters a while back and they told me i should be at around 190 if i'm 5'8". at the time i decided i wasn't going to sign up but now i have little choice. anyway i used to have a rather high BF%, i was 230, now i'm 215 and i'm stronger than i ever was at 230, in fact i feel like strength comes easier as i get lighter, especially on the bench. the other day i saw someone post up a video on facebook of joe morrow(?) deadlifting 315 at 125 and thought that it was incredible (my max is 405 at 215).

anyway, anyone know just exactly how he achieved this? genetic freak? special training? any ideas? it kind of reminds me of those olympic weightlifters, they're pound for pound insanely strong!

before anyone mentions it, i don't have the money (nor age) for a steroid cycle (i'm limited to experience with dymethazine, epistane, and m1d due to post-operative muscle loss). now i'm not saying i will even come close to this guy but i'd really love to be as powerful as i can at 190.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

Train at high percentage of max with low volume. 5s,3s,2s,1s, This will allow you to build higher musclar coordination and motor unit recruitment in turn giving you higher strength at a lower body weight. One of my training partners pulled 615 in the Deadlift at 189lbs. No drugs, not even prohormones, just a lot of hard heavy training.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MongoSS View Post
    Train at high percentage of max with low volume. 5s,3s,2s,1s, This will allow you to build higher musclar coordination and motor unit recruitment in turn giving you higher strength at a lower body weight. One of my training partners pulled 615 in the Deadlift at 189lbs. No drugs, not even prohormones, just a lot of hard heavy training.
    thanks for the reply there, bro. yeah i've seen some light people pull some HEAVY weight, it's incredible. as of recently i got off the peptides (for now, as my knee seems to have healed substantially while on them) and the osta and i've decided on going natural but training intensely and although it's against most people's advise, past the 1 hour line.

i've also been training while fasted lately. i'm down to 210 and my deadlift is still 405, but i feel like i'll get better at it with time. i'm not going for a skinny joe morrow look, i still wanna be bulky but with less fat on me, y'know? i'm sure i'll reach 190 by the end of this year.

by the way, is that you in your profile pic?? freaking INSANE! keep up the heavy lifting!!!
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.

yeah that is me. I am a lot lighter now though. Keep killin' those weights.
  5. New Member

building strength has more to do with consistency over time than weight....tendons and ligaments are far more responsible for strength gains than are given credit for. This is why most powerlifters will peak in their late thirties and even forties. Your muscles will only move the weights your tendons and ligaments will hold...I went from a 400 shirted bench to a 600 shirted bench in 4 years at the same bodyweight. I did a 700lb three board at 185lbs....5 years earlier that would have snapped both of my arms, muscular strength? i dont think so....tendons.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by GeraldNY181 View Post
    muscular strength? i dont think so....tendons.
    Ummm well, I think I agree more with MongoSS, to answer the actual question. Heavy singles doubles and trips are most likely more responsible thru training the muscles, tendons, ligaments, CNS, and even the skeletal system, all having to strengthen to lift/support a weight.
    Granted tendons have to be strong, but most anybody can lift more in a partial movement, than a full ROM lift, and even though I can pull #800 off the pins and hold it there, but from floor #605-#625 completely raw and natty. Doing only partials do not transfer all that well to full lifts. If they did everybody would just do partials I suppose. Geared lifters can benefit more from partials, since the suit or shirt will support and push off some from the bottom
    Your muscles, along with the skeletal system ie; bone density growth from loads, the tendons and ligaments all strengthen to support and lift weight, but to move it thru the entire ROM, it all has to be stronger, and the best way to do that, is to lift heavy loads 85%-90%-95% for some low reps and perhaps multiple sets.
    The CNS, often overlooked as trainable, has a lot to do with recruitment of fibers et al. needed to do max heavy work.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.

wow i never would have thought that... i'm still pretty young and learning, many people don't believe my age for my lifts lol, (big fish in a small pond i suppose).

i've always had great bone density, but now i'm considering getting back on the peptides lol, especially considering my acl surgery which was only a year ago...
    I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 12:46 AM
  2. Best cycle to gain strength without weight?
    By psch in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 02:45 AM
  3. gain weight and muscle mass?
    By heisler27 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 01:14 AM
  4. Strength & Lean Gains Cycle Idea-OPINIONS?
    By bionicBC in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 02:18 PM
  5. Strength, Libido, and Mass Gains
    By Souphtc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2004, 10:45 AM