beginning

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.

beginning

So I have just started with the Olympic Lifts and am in love with them but am getting discouraged as I am not lifting very much. Is this the case for a lot of people when they first begin? Confidence is kind of low when it comes to these lifts as I havent improved all too much yet.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dillianc View Post
    So I have just started with the Olympic Lifts and am in love with them but am getting discouraged as I am not lifting very much. Is this the case for a lot of people when they first begin? Confidence is kind of low when it comes to these lifts as I havent improved all too much yet.
    If you are 145lbs and 5'10" I would say bulk up to get some strength and be able to pull more on them. If by Olympic lifts you mean Snatch, Clean and Jerk that is.

Look into 5/3/1 to get some strength, if you get the book it tells yah where and how to add the Olympic lifts. If not, well look at this website:
    http://www.catalystathletics.com/workouts/
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Celorza's got some excellent overall advice for you. You may also want to consider the fact that Olympic lifts are incredibly dangerous without proper coaching, and throwing on more weight simply because you're "discouraged" at 145 pounds and your height is a recipe for disaster. Take your time, absorb as much info as you can regarding technique, and understand that power and strength are built over years of dedication and training.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Technique and execution, do you have someone coaching you?
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by NYiron View Post
    Technique and execution, do you have someone coaching you?
    Yeah that too...I couldn't Power-Clean 135lbs without someone really teaching me how to do it. My Jerk Went up a lot since I got thought proper technique.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.

I do have a class that I attend 3-4 times a week, I am verry concentrated on ensuring I have the correct form. On top of it I am trying to bulk up a bit.

Its just gets sad when there are smaller people than I who can lift more ha ha
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.

I do have a class that I attend 3-4 times a week, I am verry concentrated on ensuring I have the correct form. On top of it I am trying to bulk up a bit.

Its just gets sad when there are smaller people than I who can lift more ha ha
    Would I fall in that category? I can Jerk 185lbs !
    >SNS-Glycophase<
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.

ha ha yes. but i get that it takes time and I need to put my time under the bar. My technique is a lot better then the first one I did thats for sure
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

I am a pretty experienced Olympic lifter. I was a collegiate decathlete and Olympic lifts are a staple in my routine. Let me tell you this: START OUT EXTREMELY HUMBLE, DO NOT BE SCARED OF LIGHT WEIGHTS, AND PERFECT YOUR FORM!!!! Once you perfect your form and learn to drop you butt down and get under the weight, the heavy weights will come. I suggest you start adding front squats to your routine and drop all the way A** to Grass. This will open up your hip flexibility. The next thing I would focus on is the raw powerclean. Start with the barbell on the floor, pull the weight up, get a good hip explosion and shrug, then drop under neath the weight and front squat it up. Start with light weight.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  145 lbs.

Thanks man

I do front squats. I love them. They hurt but they are increasing my flexibility like mad! I am very concerned with form so I don't lift heavier then I know I can handle. I want to be able to do these lifts but I want to be safe.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New Methyl 1-test log to begin
    By DumbRussian in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 01:10 AM
  2. let the games begin
    By rislingohya in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 10:29 PM
  3. The Revolution begins...
    By txwakeskater in forum Cycle Info