an unorthodox work out to screw with muscle memory?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.24%

Question an unorthodox work out to screw with muscle memory?

i've been following the simple 4 days split

monday: back, biceps, and deadlifts
    tuesday: rest
    wednesday: chest, triceps, and general bench presses (incline, decline, and flat)
    thursday: rest
    friday: squats (on smith machine using a little chair, had my ACL reconstructed, so i try my best to slightly break the 90 degrees), leg work
    saturday: abs & calves
    sunday: rest

but i guess i've plateaued, so i'm planning on trying something different for a week and then switch back to the split above. basically an unorthodox split like:

monday: chest and back
    tuesday: rest
    wednesday: squats/leg work
    thursday: rest
    friday: general arm and shoulder work
    saturday: abs & calves
    sunday: rest

does this sound good?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

bodybuilders it seems just like to change everything so often. i have a friend that just got done with a year of doing the same workout, 5/3/1 with the BBB assistant lifts. he added 50-100lbs on his major lifts and shed 100lbs of bodyfat.

he basically did the same thing a year and saw constant progress. the only thing that can be said for something different, or muscle confusion as bodybuilders put it, were extra workouts. yes in addition to not in place of. on sundays he started doing strongman workouts and did some highland games training. he is thinking of continuing with the base template but trying to hit weak links on his lifts for accessory work.

in other words if you like the movement split you have try other variations like changing percentages, rest, specific exercises, etc.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.09%

I completely agree with the above post. The idea behind "muscle confusion" is really a myth that has been perpetuated by p90x. You dont confuse your muscles. They simply respond to the stimulus placed upon them. Just as the previous poster pointed out in his example of his friend doing the same thing for a year. I know someone you has been following the same program for 3 years and is still making progress just by varying the percentages he is working with.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.24%

thanks for the feedback guys. so i guess there's really no benefit to a change in work out?

i think i'll try it though, just to see if i get some better pumps. nothing pumps me up like working opposite muscles back to back, for example i LOVE doing one set of barbell curls and then one set of tricep pull downs over and over again.

that's basically what i'm going for with this split.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.13%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

change is ok. its just be aware what you need to change and that this change will help you reach your goals. dont change cause someone said so. and change can be reps, sets, intensity, frequency, etc. not just exercises.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    3.24%

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    change is ok. its just be aware what you need to change and that this change will help you reach your goals. dont change cause someone said so. and change can be reps, sets, intensity, frequency, etc. not just exercises.
    yeah when i started lifting my friend told me it's good to max out every day. well after i plateaued, i did my research and i found it's best to raise your % of max every week and do lower reps until you max then restart. i only max at the end of the month now and go back to high reps and it's helped me gain a LOT more muscle.

max deadlift:405
    max squat: 365 (with ACL recon)
    max bench press: 255 (which is my weak point :[)

i've only been lifting for a year and 2 months, and i'm basically just a little bit stronger than what i was before ACL reconstruction 6 months ago...

Similar Forum Threads

1. EZs been put out to pasture with Horse Gamma O
    By emiliozapata in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
  2. OK to work out with mouth injury?
    By bigred869 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
  3. pre work out to take with h drol
    By sakes in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7