Deadlift tips? - AnabolicMinds.com

Deadlift tips?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Deadlift tips?

Im trying to hit a 600lb deadlift. My current max is 505 at 169lb.

I need some new training tips. I refuse to use straps.

My current regime is once a week ill do deadlifts. Warm up -225 then ill crackout reps at 315 until grip fails for two sets then I go up to 405 for a few reps.

I occasionally do rack pulls my main failing point is getting a good grip and my glutes. Back can take a lot.

Anyways im a mess, any good training regiments?
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.

Check out the YouTube channel "strengthcamp" elliote hulse a pro strongman covers topics like hybrid muscle, deadlift techniques, achieving true strength, strongman training, how nervous system works when lifting really heavy stuffs.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

many thanks bro
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
    •   

4. New Member

Not sure if this is any help man, im sure you prob have seen this before, but heres a post i made awhile ago just linking all the elitefts training vids about bench/dead/squat.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtonselite View Post
    Not sure if this is any help man, im sure you prob have seen this before, but heres a post i made awhile ago just linking all the elitefts training vids about bench/dead/squat.

Thanks man. I do ripptoes for deadlift form, I also prefer to tuck my neck to protect my spine on deadlifts. Also...he needs some bumper plates...
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Do not follow any of the "tips" that Elliot Hulse suggests.

I can tell you right now that your current scheme is not ideal for strength gains on something like the deadlift. You'll need to vary the percentages of your current 1RM. When I say current, I literally mean as in what you can pull today and not your all-time PR. What style do you pull? Where's your sticking point? Assistance work?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

do some speed work. lots of it. like 10+ sets of 2 reps. once and a while do 2-3 singles above 90%. supplement with low box squats, goodmornings, snatch grip deads and any other lift/movement that strengthens your weak points.

if you are not sure how to put it together do a proven program like coan/phillipi or 5/3/1.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  8. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

For grip work, use an overhand grip (no hook) when training deads. It'll definitely boost your grip strength. Kroc rows work well for this, too.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

I can tell you right now that your current scheme is not ideal for strength gains on something like the deadlift. You'll need to vary the percentages of your current 1RM. When I say current, I literally mean as in what you can pull today and not your all-time PR. What style do you pull? Where's your sticking point? Assistance work?
    understood it was 505 a few weeks ago, currently not sure since i just came off of some meds. I pull conventional and my sticking point is usually a few inches up my shins. As for assistance work I do rack pulls/speed pulls/wrestling/stiff legged deads/goblet squats/front squats.

I suppose my main downside is I do a lot of volume work or what people would consider over training, but I have been lifting for 10 years and my body responds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    do some speed work. lots of it. like 10+ sets of 2 reps. once and a while do 2-3 singles above 90%. supplement with low box squats, goodmornings, snatch grip deads and any other lift/movement that strengthens your weak points.

if you are not sure how to put it together do a proven program like coan/phillipi or 5/3/1.
    ill stopped doing box squats a while ago, ill throw them back in thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    For grip work, use an overhand grip (no hook) when training deads. It'll definitely boost your grip strength. Kroc rows work well for this, too.
    what are kroc rows? I youtubed and they just look like traditional dumbbell rows to me.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    what are kroc rows? I youtubed and they just look like traditional dumbbell rows to me.
    Heavy dbell rows for as many reps as you can, leaving 1 or 2 reps in the tank. If you go heavy enough, it should tax your grip a ton.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

What's wrong with elliots suggestion?
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND
    Heavy dbell rows for as many reps as you can, leaving 1 or 2 reps in the tank. If you go heavy enough, it should tax your grip a ton.
    Dumbbells only go up to 120, can i supplement this with cable pulls? I usually put on the rope, get into a squat position and crank out reps
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Dumbbells only go up to 120, can i supplement this with cable pulls? I usually put on the rope, get into a squat position and crank out reps
    Go for rep PR's and make sure that you do not use straps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Do what Rodja says.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Strygwyr View Post
    What's wrong with elliots suggestion?
    Goes on useless rants and does not put nearly enough emphasis on programming. There's a reason why only HS kids are the only ones asking him questions.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Go for rep PR's and make sure that you do not use straps.
    Will do. Stop when i start shoulder dipping or when my grip gives out?
  17. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Good luck bro! Congrats
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Will do. Stop when i start shoulder dipping or when my grip gives out?
    Your grip will probably give out first.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

good mornings should get your deadlift up. I'm barely past you at 514, but good mornings help alot. Look up videos of westside guys doing really heavy good mornings.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EC1023
    good mornings should get your deadlift up. I'm barely past you at 514, but good mornings help alot. Look up videos of westside guys doing really heavy good mornings.
    Thanks bro will try this out im pretty weak on them
  21. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

May want to work on power cleans with your sticking point being a few inches up the shin. Will help increase your explosive power off the ground.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat
    May want to work on power cleans with your sticking point being a few inches up the shin. Will help increase your explosive power off the ground.
    Have always wanted to try these just never have someone around to check my form. Crappy joints + crappy form = crappy injuries
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I wonder if that may not work for everyone. i have been doing power cleans and other clean variations for years and my deadlift takes about 10 seconds to get to my knees then i explode up and lock it out. i swear you can watch half of titanic while i deadlift, lol.

i know i am explosive on squats and many other hip dominant lifts and i attribute it to the O lifts. but i do wonder if its because of how relatively light i go on cleans when compared to deadlifts. that maybe if i up the intensity it will carry over more.

i do currently only use power cleans as a warm up for my deads. i seem to have a much better deadlift session if i do that along with some swings before hand.
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Im trying to hit a 600lb deadlift. My current max is 505 at 169lb.

I need some new training tips. I refuse to use straps.

My current regime is once a week ill do deadlifts. Warm up -225 then ill crackout reps at 315 until grip fails for two sets then I go up to 405 for a few reps.

I occasionally do rack pulls my main failing point is getting a good grip and my glutes. Back can take a lot.

Anyways im a mess, any good training regiments?
    Band resisted (quadded mini band) from plate at 4.5" off ground, squeezing glutes at the lockout REALLY helped my yank. They got me to 600. Also, high rep, heavy DB rows helped my grip.
  25. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig

I wonder if that may not work for everyone. i have been doing power cleans and other clean variations for years and my deadlift takes about 10 seconds to get to my knees then i explode up and lock it out. i swear you can watch half of titanic while i deadlift, lol.

i know i am explosive on squats and many other hip dominant lifts and i attribute it to the O lifts. but i do wonder if its because of how relatively light i go on cleans when compared to deadlifts. that maybe if i up the intensity it will carry over more.

i do currently only use power cleans as a warm up for my deads. i seem to have a much better deadlift session if i do that along with some swings before hand.
    I've been doing squats then power cleans on Monday's and deads then front squats on thurs. I can hit 240 with power cleans and feel for myself anyway that when I started getting good at it around 210-220 that my deads started to quickly rise from 350 and tracking to break 400 now here shortly.

Def love KB swings in my warm ups.

Not sure, you could very well be right in that the power cleans helped with a particular deficiency or in a manner for me that mag not be as helpful to someone else.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    I've been doing squats then power cleans on Monday's and deads then front squats on thurs. I can hit 240 with power cleans and feel for myself anyway that when I started getting good at it around 210-220 that my deads started to quickly rise from 350 and tracking to break 400 now here shortly.

Def love KB swings in my warm ups.

Not sure, you could very well be right in that the power cleans helped with a particular deficiency or in a manner for me that mag not be as helpful to someone else.
    well there is definitely a difference between us. i only power clean 155 but deadlift 435. maybe my power clean just looks nice and pretty but is just weak ****, lol.
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by asooneyeonig

well there is definitely a difference between us. i only power clean 155 but deadlift 435. maybe my power clean just looks nice and pretty but is just weak ****, lol.
    Or maybe I just need to man up at the deads lol. I'm hoping to see big improvements in about 4-6 wks when I wrap up my 5x5 training. It's been going good and I've been able to really get back to the strength training since I am not competing in any real endurance races this year like I have for the past couple.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gerrit Badenhorst Deadlift tips
    By Future in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
  2. How is my deadlift?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24