Strength training

1. New Member
    Answers

Strength training

Where does strength training go? I understand when u do strength training you get stronger and not build mass. But does it make your muscles tighter or something? Also if I was barely turning 16 would it be bad to do extreme strength training or muscle mass gains?

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Your questions totally make sense after you say your going to be barely turning 16. Just going out on a limb right away here just from what this site is majorly for, don't even think about doing a cycle yet. If you were or weren't just wanted to get that out of the way. As for strength training goes, I believe your just wondering about strength vs hypertrophy.

I was under the impression that training for size focused on creating muscle damage and training for strength focused on improving the central nervous system.

Muscle hypertrophy is the result of the repair process set in motion after the stress of lifting loads causes micro tears in the muscle fiber. The degree to which damage occurs is influenced by several factors including load, but mostly time under tension. Longer times under moderate loads creates the most damage.

In any muscle contraction only the minimum number of fibers required to move the given load are recruited and used. Strength training attempts to improve the central nervous system's ability to recruit more muscle fibers to perform a given lift. Maximal loading is required to give the CNS more practice. Fewer reps and sets are required to avoid fatigue and over-training. I assumed that when more fibers were recruited less muscle fiber damage occurred, yielding strength improvement without size gains.

I'm not an expert so fire away.
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!

3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Inevitably you'll get bigger even training for strength and vice versa. Just they'll come secondary to what you are specifically training for. If you are 16 and just getting into lifting and especially if you are looking into strength training, which IMO is where you should start because after you develop good strength and technique it's far easier to move into hypertrophy for size later. I would really recommend that you look into Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe. It's an awesome program to start out with based on the basics of strength.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    Inevitably you'll get bigger even training for strength and vice versa. Just they'll come secondary to what you are specifically training for. If you are 16 and just getting into lifting and especially if you are looking into strength training, which IMO is where you should start because after you develop good strength and technique it's far easier to move into hypertrophy for size later. I would really recommend that you look into Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe. It's an awesome program to start out with based on the basics of strength.
    Good quality post, OP if you decide to go with starting strength, I have can get you the ebook for free as well as a calculator to take the guess work out of what your warmup sets would be. Personally I raised my lifts 100 pounds in 1.5 months doing SS when I first started working out.
    I don't go lift, I don't go workout, I don't go train....I go get sexy....sexy as fwuark!!!!!!!!!

5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx

Good quality post, OP if you decide to go with starting strength, I have can get you the ebook for free as well as a calculator to take the guess work out of what your warmup sets would be. Personally I raised my lifts 100 pounds in 1.5 months doing SS when I first started working out.
    I'd love an e-copy w/ calculator if you are sharing. It's a great resource and I'm always directing people to it.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market

6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

http://startingstrength.webs.com/apps/documents/

there's the link to the ebook on a site I made just so I could get the ebook to my work computer lol

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1329273143

It won't allow me to upload the file through AM so here's my link on BB

You just have to change the values at the top for what your weights are and how much you are increasing weight. If you are micro-loading at the very top just change the minimum from 5 to whatever you are using or it won't accept it.

7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat
    Couldn't agree more. When I was 16 I used to powerlift. Did alot of barbell movements. Squats, flat bench, deadlifts, shoulder press, clean and press, barbell curls, close grip bench. Now I'm more about hypertrophy and it was easy for me to still lift heavy but for more reps as I transitioned

8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by xigotmailx
    http://startingstrength.webs.com/apps/documents/

there's the link to the ebook on a site I made just so I could get the ebook to my work computer lol

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1329273143

It won't allow me to upload the file through AM so here's my link on BB

You just have to change the values at the top for what your weights are and how much you are increasing weight. If you are micro-loading at the very top just change the minimum from 5 to whatever you are using or it won't accept it.
    Nice, thanks.. I'll hit it up when I get to my laptop.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Strength training, functional strength
    By mugen112 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 02:43 PM
  2. best strength training
    By qwerty33 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 22