Need help benching

B

Beefy Jew

Awards
I have a problem with gaining weight on my bench. I have tried a pyramid and volume training, but neither help that much. My squats and deadlifts go up easy every week, but my bench is stuck. I max 245, and can get 12 reps of 185. I am more interested in powerlifting for maxing than enduarnce, should I start benching more than once a week?

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
More benching won't necessarily equal more strength. I think for anyone to even suggest anything to you, we will need a lot more information like training history, accessory work being done, rest, diet, form. The list could go on and on. Whenever I stall, I set my training max back five-ten pounds and re-calculate my percentages used. This usually helps.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should be benching or performing a press twice a week for sure. Keep at least 2 days between repeating lifts. You may experience some lingering pain/pump/something in the muscle group the next time you go work out, but give yourself a few weeks to adjust. If you find yourself still having problems recovering between the workouts dial down the volume before you eliminate the day altogether. Westside usually has a speed bench or a dynamic bench day (lets call this A1) and a max effort bench day (A2). A1 could also simply be a hypertrophy day, or in other words a day you hit bench for 3 sets of 10, for instance. Also recommended is working at a 3RM range as opposed to a 1RM on max effort days, meaning don't keep doing sets of 1 rep maxes week to week, do sets of 3 reps instead. Attempt a 1RM pr only once every 4 weeks.

J

joeblow1

Awards
^Great advice on the vids. From what I have experienced in 99% of the cases where someones bench stalls its due to bad technique. If your bench technique is solid find your weakest area and attack it. If its off your chest due pause presses and as assistance due illegal wides or dumbell benching. Use lighter weight for assistance and focus on technique. If its your lockout do pin presses, board presses, reverse band press, use bands, chains, and weight releaser's to overload. Use heavy weights to build the lockout.

M

McCoy1989

Awards
Tate knows whats up. I added a lot to my bench because I started using the form that he suggests in his vids. I feel that form is one of my biggest obstacles and his suggestions helped a lot.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel that form is one of my biggest obstacles and his suggestions helped a lot.
It's the biggest obstacle for just about everyone. It's probably why all the best benchers are older lifters, and why lifters always get better at benching as they age. Whereas all the best squatters tend to be younger guys (and deadlifters all over the place).

S

SSBkustra

Awards
Benching more than once a weeks is not going to do anything but increase your chance of injury. If you want your one rep max to increase my advice to you is to train for less reps and focus more on every individual rep. I recommend 5x3

J

joeblow1

Awards
Benching more than once a weeks is not going to do anything but increase your chance of injury. If you want your one rep max to increase my advice to you is to train for less reps and focus more on every individual rep. I recommend 5x3
I highly disagree 2 xs a week is best. Once for maximum effort and once for speed development is optimal. For.someone who wants to lift big numbers its essential to practice technique and 2 xs a week is plenty practice. No matter how many times a week you bench you should always do restoration and prehab. This is what prevents injury, not being afraid to train hard. There is so much that goes into benching, the stronger you get the more knowledge you will aquire.

S

SSBkustra

Awards
^ my point was to advise not benching heavy weight twice a week. I should have specified.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you have to rotate the Max Effort lift every 1-3 weeks depending on your training level. Options include full-range bench, board presses, floor presses, reverse band presses, close grip, etc.

J

joeblow1

Awards
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you have to rotate the Max Effort lift every 1-3 weeks depending on your training level. Options include full-range bench, board presses, floor presses, reverse band presses, close grip, etc.
I do feel more advanced benchers require more frequent change to prevent stagnation and accommodation. However beginners can benefit drastically from learning technique and progressive overload. When I first started benching I knew nothing of the conjugate method or periodization and progressed drastically over the first couple years. I definitely made alot of mistakes, but I learned what not to do. Beginners shouldnt get overly complicated with their training. Just keep it simple, learn how to bench, and train your ass off. But dont forget to learn everything you can along the way.