What Makes a Bench Grip an "Illegal Wide Grip"?

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
I've been getting real heavy into powerlifting, & plan on competing next year (raw for now).

I have most my lifts down, but I have some issues with my bench. I'm alittle iffy on my grip. I usually put my middle finger on the ring, & have grown quite comfortable with this grip. However, I started thinking that it might be too wide (if there is such a thing). I saw Louie Simmons talking bout illegal wide grips, & now I'm not sure about my grip.The guy I lift with hasn't said anything, & he competes here & there. However, he keeps his pinky fingers inside the ring. So I really don't know now.

So, is my grip good or not?
Any help is much appreciated.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
your grip is fine. your index finger can not be past the ring. But look into the rules for the federation you are going to compete in. They may be different. Do not know all the federation rules but believe they are all similar.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
your grip is fine. your index finger can not be past the ring. But look into the rules for the federation you are going to compete in. They may be different. Do not know all the federation rules but believe they are all similar.
When I competed I did a few unsanctioned by all different people and illegal was wider than the rings

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
Alright, thanks guys.

I'll check out the fed rules just to be sure though.

Thanks again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you train with a competition approved bar?

deumcole

deumcole

Awards
Do you train with a competition approved bar?
I have no idea. I generally lift at 24HR (it sux), but I've been going to Gold's as of late & the bars are diff. The rings on the 24HR bars are alittle wider or what's more common, & the Gold's bars' rings are thinner & seem to be wider. And that's what spurred my original question.

I would love to train with a competition approved bar, but if the bars above aren't approved I would prolly have to buy one.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
the rings gotta be covered up