First power lifting meet.

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
I am doing my first meet this weekend and was just curious on how to plan out my lifts. My 1rm are, sq 410, dl 455 and bench 270. I would like to go for a little higher on all of them but not sure how to plan it out. Thanks for any help.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Ive never done one, but im always told make sure you can roll out of bed and get your first attempt at each lift. prolly 85-90%ish for openers? hopefully someone will chime in

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
im training for my first meet myself. i have been told by my experienced training partners to open lite on the first meet. make sure you use that first attempt to get past those jitters and find your groove. then bump it up one the second attempt according to how you feel. save the final attempt for that balls to the wall new PR only if you are feeling it.

for example, with your squat open with 325-350. and move up 25-50lbs depending on how strong you felt on that lift.

M

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
You should start lite because you need to make sure your squat depth is right and the pause on the bench can vary from judge to judge. 85-90% sounds good to me. I did 512 on squat and my pr was 555 so it was right above 90%. It may also vary if you are suited or not. I have never used a shirt or suit so could not help you there. after hit your opener go by feel.

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
Thanks for the info. That s similar to what I was thinking. It is a raw meet so no need to worry about that. Im pretty excited for the meet. It will be cool to see some huge weight get moved by some of the bigger guys.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How did your meet go? Im planning on competing in my first meet in November.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats your hieght and weight? I'm trying to cut my weight down and look for a comp also.
Me? Im 5"7 or 8" 235ish right now. Going to cut down to the 220 weight class. Probably get to around 225 maybe less.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
most ppl just say go in weighing whatever and just learn from the experience for your first meet.

M

mdpwrlifter

Awards
I am doing my first meet this weekend and was just curious on how to plan out my lifts. My 1rm are, sq 410, dl 455 and bench 270. I would like to go for a little higher on all of them but not sure how to plan it out. Thanks for any help.
What's your weight?

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
most ppl just say go in weighing whatever and just learn from the experience for your first meet.
I agree with this. Which is why Im trying to get down to 220 lol. Dont want to really cut weight. But I still want to compete in the 220 class. Right now I can crush the GA junior record for raw deadlift. Also have the potential to take the GA open record for deadlift.

M

mdpwrlifter

Awards
I agree with this. Which is why Im trying to get down to 220 lol. Dont want to really cut weight. But I still want to compete in the 220 class. Right now I can crush the GA junior record for raw deadlift. Also have the potential to take the GA open record for deadlift.
What state and what powerlifting group/federation will you be under?

C

Chuckbob500

Awards
Tomahawk, pretty impressive for deads. I'm in ga myself and wondering where they hold the meet at, and maybe a web site I could look at to see weight classes and other info.

Brody Laybolt

Brody Laybolt

Awards
what i do is my 3rm for first attempt, try and pr the second, and if i get the pr i try and go a bit higher and if i dont i take a bit off my 2nd. i never understood guys who didnt go for it untill the last set, theres alot of little things that can happen in your final attempt that will screw you over and then your done.. so i prefer to have 2 shots at something heavy than have to settle with a mediocore lift and have to go home knowing i could've done better.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are your other lifts?
Im honestly not too sure. Bench is probably a little over 315 but have to get used to meet style benching. Not sure on squat probably 450 plus or more. Really need to translate the raw power I have into my squat.

badfish21981

badfish21981

Awards
So the meet went pretty well. I weighed in at 184. I ended up squating 415(pr), bench I only got 240 due to not practicing the pause rep and then making to big of a jump. I got a 475 DL(PR). All in all I had a great time though and will deffinatly doing another one.

M

mdpwrlifter

Awards
That's good man I hope to do a meet in February. The pause bench will probably hit me too.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
hell yeah man! NJ :)

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
geekpoop ur in nj?

im doing my first meet in december

op good lifts