trying to powerlift, help please

1. trying to powerlift, help please

Hey im 19 and 181lbs as of monday.
    I want to compete in meets and i know my total is to low to ever win.
    My current 3 rep maxes are
    Bench-245
    Squat-350
    Deadlift-445
    I was doing bodybuilding for about 1.5 years strictly and i just started switching over to powerlifting 5 monthes ago.
    I tried a convential westside routine and became very overtrained and lost 5lbs of muscle...started at 190 went to 185.
    Then i tried westside barbell for skinny guys v3, figuring a natural could handle this load, lost another 5lbs of size, my back is smaller and so are my arms.
    So i figured i try more of a powerbuilding routine i made myself.
    Here is the layout:
    2 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off...i may be taking an extra day off here or there bc of work and school or to simply rest.
    Push/Pull/Legs Split
    Workout A-Max Effort Push
    Workout A-Rep Effort Pull
    Workout A-Max Effort Legs
    Workout B-Rep Effort Push
    Workout B-Max Effort Pull
    Workout B-Rep Effort Legs
    Push
    Max Effort ALT w/ Rep Effort Lift
    3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100% ALT w/ 3 sets Max reps (15-25 reps)
    Supplimental Lift
    2 sets Max Reps (15-20 reps) ALT w/ 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Delt Compound Lift
    3 sets 8-12 reps
    Heavy Tris Lift
    3 sets 8-12 reps
    Rep Tris Lift
    2 sets 15-25 reps
    Rep Delts Lift
    3 sets 10-20 reps
    Pull
    Rep Effort ALT w/ Mod Effort Lift
    3 sets Max reps (15-25 reps) OR 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Deadlift Variation (Only done on Max Effort Pull Days)
    3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100%
    Verticle Pull Lift
    3 sets 8-12 reps
    Horizontal Pull/Rear Delt Superset
    3-4 sets 8-12 reps
    Shrugs/Elbow Flexer Superset
    3-4 sets 8-15 reps
    Grip/Forearms Work
    2-3 sets, Various times, holds, reps
    Legs
    Max Effort ALT w/ Mod Effort Lift
    3 sets 3-5 reps, 2>90%, 1 100% ALT w/ 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Unilateral Lift ALT w/ Unilateral Lift w/ ADDED ROM
    3 sets 6-12 reps ALT w/ 3 set 8-12 reps
    Hamstring/Posterior Chain Lift
    3 sets 8-12 reps
    Quad Lift
    2 sets 10-15 reps
    Calves Lift
    4 sets 15-20 reps
    Abs
    High Rep Abs Circuit ALT w/ Weighted Abs Work

Does this look like a solid routine for my goals of size/strength with progression of the big three in mind?

2. If you lost weight on those other programs you simply weren't eating enough. That will often make a huge difference in the effectiveness of the program.
    Your program looks like it could be OK, but I can't quite decipher all of it. With proper programming alternating between heavy days and rep days can work well. Just make sure you have a reasonable progression scheme and don't go to absolute failure on the rep days. You can do the higher reps, just stop the set with a rep or two in the tank. You get about 99% of the benefits, but is a bit easier to recovery from.
    I think a simplier approach would be to do 5/3/1 and choose assistance exercises that fit your needs. That combined with eating more.
    •   

3. well in the westside routines it never mentioned not going to failure on any lifts except for the dynamic effort work...so you think i could maybe stick to westside and try to not hit failure all the time on rep days and eat more and id be ok?

4. also the idea behind what i picked was to hit each workout every 5 days and switch between trying to pr on 3 rep maxes and pr on rep workouts, it allows for more rest i feel.
    I looked into 5/3/1....it looks good except the accessory work is just anything? and there is a lot of rest time time between each workout, looks like about 9 days?
    I liked westside training and increased my lifts i just was looking for a change but similar to what i was doing kinda

Similar Forum Threads

1. How to Powerlift
    By Kristopher in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 10:06 PM