1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

Powerlifting Program INPUT/HELP

Hey, whats up AM.

I am just starting Hatfield's program. For those of you who don't know it basically goes like this;

It calculates your weight for the upcoming days of the program by writing in your 1RM.

Day 1 is Bench/Squat, bench being the dominant core exercise of the day; 5 sets, 3 reps, then 3 overloads sets 120%. Squats are 5 sets, 2 reps.

Day 3 is just Deadlift day. 5 sets 3 reps.

Day 5 is Squat/Bench, squat dominent 5 sets 3 reps, bench 5 set 2 reps. Squat Overload 120%

... then it repeats and it changes a bit, adds more reps and weight fluctuates, etc.

Anyway, I have bands/knee wraps/wrist wraps/block... I was wondering what are the best assistance exercises to add into this program, where to place them, and how many sets and reps for best increases in my big three.

I was thinking; Romanian Deadlifts, Push Presses, Band Bench Press, Close Grip, Good mornings, Box Squats, Band Squats.... ETC.

Thanks AM

BTW, this is my first power lifting program, I have been bb'ing for 5 years now. I am 5'9'', about 220lbs new to power lifting but did some research, got some gear and ready to get started!

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  253 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32%

Welcome to the darkside! Powerlifting is a great sport to be a part of.

In regards to your program... You will get a ton of varying opinions. I'll just say this: stick to a routine and train to your utmost intensity. You will see results. If the results aren't coming fast enough, change it up. Try Coan, Westside, Smolov, etc. Find what fits your needs. Best of luck!
    -- JB \m/
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82%

Hey bro,

Appreciate the reply. I was going to go with just the Big Three for this program, but I really got my mind set on adding Assistant Exercises. Just not sure where to place them, should I put the Assistant Exercises on the day of the Core. What I mean is should I put Bench Assist. exercises on Bench dominant days??? or would it be more beneficial to do Bench Assisst. exercises on Squat dominant days. Deadlift Assist. exercises on Bench dominant days, and Squat Assist. on Deadlift dominant days?

Thanks AM.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  281 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by IronMan1990 View Post
    Hey, whats up AM.

I am just starting Hatfield's program. For those of you who don't know it basically goes like this;

It calculates your weight for the upcoming days of the program by writing in your 1RM.

Day 1 is Bench/Squat, bench being the dominant core exercise of the day; 5 sets, 3 reps, then 3 overloads sets 120%. Squats are 5 sets, 2 reps.

Day 3 is just Deadlift day. 5 sets 3 reps.

Day 5 is Squat/Bench, squat dominent 5 sets 3 reps, bench 5 set 2 reps. Squat Overload 120%

... then it repeats and it changes a bit, adds more reps and weight fluctuates, etc.

Anyway, I have bands/knee wraps/wrist wraps/block... I was wondering what are the best assistance exercises to add into this program, where to place them, and how many sets and reps for best increases in my big three.

I was thinking; Romanian Deadlifts, Push Presses, Band Bench Press, Close Grip, Good mornings, Box Squats, Band Squats.... ETC.

Thanks AM

BTW, this is my first power lifting program, I have been bb'ing for 5 years now. I am 5'9'', about 220lbs new to power lifting but did some research, got some gear and ready to get started!

Here's an idea for your "Primary Accessories"

Day 1 "bench
    Military Press

Day 3 "Deadlift
    Stiff Leg deads

Day 5 "Squat
    Good Mornings
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

FOLLOW THE PROGRAM...

we all get stuck wanting to add things to successful programs,then guess what its not their program anymore. You are new to powerlifting so follow as is till you get your feat wet. Take this time to learn the real technique.
    ACSM-CPT
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.03%

I tried this program once and it didn't work well. It was way too aggressive in the loading as it has you adding 5% to your max every week or 10 days. That just doesn't work unless you are a total beginner.
    If you want a program that includes some assistance work, I would recommend something like 5/3/1 as it has more realistic increases in training weights and allows you to do some assistance work for each lift.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.65%

Military presses
    Box squats
    wtd. hyper ext.
    close grip bench off boards
    Romanian or still leg dl
    wtd. abs
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.49%

I think that most powerlifting programs (this one included) make the horrible error of omitting a rowing movement that has scapular retraction in it. IMO, upper body pulling strength is absolutely pivotal to shoulder health. If you want a rowing movement with good carry over to powerlifting, DB cheat rows are great for grip and overall back development. BB rows are good too, and involve the spinal erectors a bit more.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.16%

Accessory movements are designed to improve weakpoints, what I'm not getting is just throwing any old movement with out knowing his weakpoints. Rowing is the only one I'm agreeing with that is a staple that I did not notice this program did not have.
    ACSM-CPT

Similar Forum Threads

1. IF and powerlifting
    By SweetLou321 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 12:47 AM
  2. powerlifting on epi
    By stullsy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
  3. Actual Powerlifting Training Program??!!
    By simonrr in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
  5. ooo powerlifting
    By Pioneer in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 02:36 PM