deadlift stance????

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

deadlift stance????

I just wanted to know what stance people can pull the most weight in.................... Hip Width, Shoulder Width or Sumo.. I can pull more at shoulder width, but someone told me to start pulling at hip width b/c you can pull more weight but I pull about 30 or 40 lbs less and my sumo deadlift sucks

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

A good way to find your best foot position is to jump up and land naturally. Where your feet land will be a good starting point to where you are the strongest for a conventional pull. I personally pull with my feet a hair outside of hip width but well inside of my shoulder width because it allows my arms to hang straight down.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    A good way to find your best foot position is to jump up and land naturally. Where your feet land will be a good starting point to where you are the strongest for a conventional pull. I personally pull with my feet a hair outside of hip width but well inside of my shoulder width because it allows my arms to hang straight down.
    damn but now hes gonna know how he wants to land lol, i tried jumping to touch the rim and came down, the exact position (feet wise) that i deadlift with. I have shorter arms so hip width and arms a lil wider then straight down does it for me. Ive tried doing arms staright down and closer stance but its too much lower back for me.. but good advice..

also do u do good mornings the same stance as your deadlift and or squat?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I'll have to try that. That might be where I pull my strongest as well, I use to walk up to the bar and flex my quads then rock back and forth to find an even space with my feet under the bar, I figured the stance at where my quads where tightest in extension is where I would get the best lockout strength, but if my deadlift was failing at the start of the lift I would pull off of a platform or now Im thinking a closer stance might help that as well as it would increase the ROM, right???
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    damn but now hes gonna know how he wants to land lol, i tried jumping to touch the rim and came down, the exact position (feet wise) that i deadlift with. I have shorter arms so hip width and arms a lil wider then straight down does it for me. Ive tried doing arms staright down and closer stance but its too much lower back for me.. but good advice..

also do u do good mornings the same stance as your deadlift and or squat?
    I just started varying my stance on good mornings, but yeah I use to do them about shoulder width or maybe a little bit wider than hip width
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Answers

I use a ton of different stances for good mornings, it just depends on what areas you want to emphasize. As a general rule of thumb though, Arched back = Wider Stance, Rounded Back = Closer Stance.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

i use my power clean form, feed shoulder width, olypic grip on bar.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by stullsy View Post
    I just started varying my stance on good mornings, but yeah I use to do them about shoulder width or maybe a little bit wider than hip width
    me too, If i feel like my hamstrings are weak ill try to keep my legs straight, if i feel like im weak off the ground deadlifting ill do close stance. If my squats struggling ill do moderate stance lol...

I was thinking of doing my weakest position but idk
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Answers

how about rack pull stance?
    i'm changing to sumo from conventional and use RPs as a supplemental....had been doing them hip-width...so do i do them sumo width now? thanks
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    how about rack pull stance?
    i'm changing to sumo from conventional and use RPs as a supplemental....had been doing them hip-width...so do i do them sumo width now? thanks
    No, I just switched up as well and every sumo deadlifter I know still does rack pulls conventionally so that is how I would do it.
    SFW and GFH
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Answers

There's not much different between a hip-width and shoulder-width stance unless you have some really strange proportions. A starting point is to take the stance you would use if you had to do a standing broad jump. Alot of people have terrible landing mechanics, so I wouldn't necessarily trust your landing stance as ideal. The only way to know for sure is to simply experiment a bit and figure the starting position wher you are the strongest.
    For the question regarding a sumo stance and rack pulls, I've never seen anyone who had much luck with rack pulls helping a sumo DL. The problem is that the sticking point in the sumo DL is off the floor about 99% of the time, so rack pulls don't help that much. Simply doing moderate sets of 3-5 reps in the sumo DL is probably the best assistance exercise for it. You could also try box squats with a sumo-width stance or chain suspended squats with the starting position similar to your sumo DL starting point. If you want to do rack pulls as an assistance exercise for general overall strength, just use a conventional stance and start them somewhere around mid-shin.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

i never do sumo i have pulled a couple workouts sumo just to see how strong i am at it.. It almost feels like powering out the bottom of a squat? is that accurate
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i never do sumo i have pulled a couple workouts sumo just to see how strong i am at it.. It almost feels like powering out the bottom of a squat? is that accurate
    It will feel more like a SQ than a conventional DL.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

^^^ yup agree and thats why i hate it lol
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I pull sumo, with my knees touching the rings on the knurling. I absolutely cannot pull conventional, I tried for months but m body isn't built for it, I can't even pick up a loaded barbell with 135lbs on it without having a massive back round.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  250 lbs.
    Answers

It depends on your bio mechanics. torso length theigh length, arm length, shin height as well as muscular strengths. But for conventional Shoulder width or hip width is best, i personally use a narrow hip width stance with great results. Sumo works for people with strong hips, glutes. and those with shorter arms.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Good thread.

When you guys walk up to the bar, about where does it touch your legs? ankle, mid shin, upper shin?
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Answers

I'm a Pu$$y now and don't deadlift but when I did, my feet were always shoulder width. Did not like sumo....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What squat stance is best?
    By ILiftBig in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
  2. e-stance vs trenabolan?
    By jay21 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
  3. Sumo stance for deads
    By SteelEntity in forum Exercise Science