new to powerlifting

1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Answers

new to powerlifting

hey guys. been on AM for a few years now. ive been very interested in powerlifting for the past few months now. my current workout routine is the typical split for bodybuilding. well today was day 1 on my mix of 5x5 and bodybuilding splits. ive done 5x5 before. i was wondering are there any routines like 5x5 that work better or any advice u can give to a newb? my diet is fine so i am specifically talking about training. there is a strongman gym near me that i am going to visit but for a regular gym what do i need to be doing? my goal is to add weight and mass. do u guys do cardio?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

look at wendlers 5/3/1 to start out... try to study the westside barbell routine while u do this. and yes you can still do cardio dont do too much tho. try to eat more then usual. and you need to give us more info for a specific routine
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Answers

what kind of info do u need from me? im 5'9" 185ish. dont know BF% but abs are slightly visible. im just bloated cause of creatine mono. i just dont care about being cut anymore. ur shirt is only off for 3 months out of the year ya know. i wanna be bulky and every guy my age and size who does powerlifting is bulkier than i am
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I'm doing a soviet/russian bloc training system that's tons of volume and I'm loving it. But what are your lifting goals and what are you going to be lifting in. Single ply gear double ply? etc. westside is more for multi ply lifters with all the upper end work... and it just ain't my style
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by permanabol View Post
    I'm doing a soviet/russian bloc training system that's tons of volume and I'm loving it. But what are your lifting goals and what are you going to be lifting in. Single ply gear double ply? etc. westside is more for multi ply lifters with all the upper end work... and it just ain't my style
    the key is finding a good westside routine, for example the one im using works for raw lifters but the volume is way more.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    the key is finding a good westside routine, for example the one im using works for raw lifters but the volume is way more.
    I'd leave westside alone for the moment. for someone just getting into the powerlifting frame of mind it is too intuitional and the OP just needs the basics at the moment. Try 5/3/1 for at least 6 months, you won't be disappointed, you can increase your main lifts but also pack on a lot of muscle depending on which variation you go with
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Answers

im looking for overall mass gain without juicing. that is my goal. i will be lifting at a normal gym. im not trying to do strongman, just power lifting. and im not benching 400 or something. so 5x5 isnt good?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    im looking for overall mass gain without juicing. that is my goal. i will be lifting at a normal gym. im not trying to do strongman, just power lifting. and im not benching 400 or something. so 5x5 isnt good?
    of course it's good, many advocate it. Anything will work for a while then you need to change things up a bit. check out bill starr's programs if you haven't already.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

plenty there to choose from
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Answers

regardless of the program you choose, they are all somehow based on what your 1RM is on the squat, bench and DL. My advice is that you be very conservative when calculating your numbers; strength training makes severe demands on your body, particularly your CNS and joints, so a conservative approach to your maxes will let you make consistent gains for a long time.

Good luck
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SemiBulimic View Post
    I'd leave westside alone for the moment. for someone just getting into the powerlifting frame of mind it is too intuitional and the OP just needs the basics at the moment. Try 5/3/1 for at least 6 months, you won't be disappointed, you can increase your main lifts but also pack on a lot of muscle depending on which variation you go with
    yea i wasnt incouraging using it.. I was just saying he should start a 5/3/1 or something simple up, while studying westside so that he can eventually switch over.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. powerlifting on epi
    By stullsy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
  2. Everyone What do you think Powerlifting at its best
    By 2475 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 12:17 PM
  3. powerlifting
    By njc5044 in forum Workout Logs