Need some advice plz!

1. EctoMeso

Need some advice plz!

Hay guys been lifting on and off for yrs. but due to moving around and a family coming along i always had to stop for a few months get settled start again, move around stop ect ect. anyway all settled now in a new house and not going any where and have been training solidly for around close to 3months. i want to focus on power lifting as i want to be stronger plus bulkier and power lifting i think is great for the type of body i want. once i become 1000kgs lol, ill work on sculpting something more refined (maybe) . Power lifters just have that awsome dense solid hard look, and it stands out on stage during bodybuilding comps thats for sure.

so i want to know whats some good programs and where to start.... as theres rippetoes,westwide,5/3/1 sheiko 29, just to name a few. im training at home and only have the basics (bench,enough weights,squat rack ect) enough to cover me neway for a fair while yet. Diet is all in check. not 100% but above maintenance for the most.

any help in the right direction would be great........

thanks.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.81%

Based on your situation and equipment, I think 5/3/1 or Starting Strength would be best. You could doing starting strength until your linear gains stop, then switch to 5/3/1. Neither require a ton of special equipment and are also very straightforward in how to progress in each of the lifts. 5/3/1 is also nice in that you can customize it a bit with the assistance work. If you go with 5/3/1 at some point, I would recommend buying the book as it will take out all the guesswork and will ensure you completely understand the program. Sometimes, things get lost in translation when trying to piece together a program from internet posts and articles and not going straight to the source.
  3. EctoMeso

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Based on your situation and equipment, I think 5/3/1 or Starting Strength would be best. You could doing starting strength until your linear gains stop, then switch to 5/3/1. Neither require a ton of special equipment and are also very straightforward in how to progress in each of the lifts. 5/3/1 is also nice in that you can customize it a bit with the assistance work. If you go with 5/3/1 at some point, I would recommend buying the book as it will take out all the guesswork and will ensure you completely understand the program. Sometimes, things get lost in translation when trying to piece together a program from internet posts and articles and not going straight to the source.
    No worries cheers mate appreciate it
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by EctoMeso View Post
    No worries cheers mate appreciate it
    Try 5/3/1 it will make ur rep maxes go up... and u will get to take a hard 1 rep every month... then maybe steady up on westside and learn how to use it for urself and u will love it.. i tried following ppls westside routines and failed misrably but now i try it myself i love it.
  5. EctoMeso

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    Try 5/3/1 it will make ur rep maxes go up... and u will get to take a hard 1 rep every month... then maybe steady up on westside and learn how to use it for urself and u will love it.. i tried following ppls westside routines and failed misrably but now i try it myself i love it.
    yea cheers also man, just got 5/3/1 so im readin it now
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.05%

I wouldn't suggest 5/3/1 unless you know your lift technique is dialed in. If you're just starting on the big 3 lifts, I'd suggest doing some higher volume work at lower %s such as starting strength (as mentioned above) or Madcow's 5x5. You'll get lots of practice before you really start pushing the envelope as far as %s go. I'd also suggest reading Starting Strength by Rippetoe to learn proper technique.

Good luck.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

also if u wanna learn form dieselcrew has some damn good techniques there deadlift one is amazing.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I wouldn't suggest 5/3/1 unless you know your lift technique is dialed in. If you're just starting on the big 3 lifts, I'd suggest doing some higher volume work at lower %s such as starting strength (as mentioned above) or Madcow's 5x5. You'll get lots of practice before you really start pushing the envelope as far as %s go. I'd also suggest reading Starting Strength by Rippetoe to learn proper technique.

Good luck.
    I agree with the 5 x 5. More volume with the main lifts and better to develop technique.

5/3/1 takes advantage of not many warm up sets.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  9. EctoMeso

yea lifting tech is fine, im actually a qualified PT for around 2 yrs now..... just checking up on what a better powerlifting program would be for the utilities that i have on hand atm.

cheers guys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2011, 01:14 AM
  2. Need sum help are advice!!!!!!!
    By BxDoZa in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
  3. Mass stack advice for hair advice
    By Cupcakemafia in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 02:25 AM