Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.44%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks for the info. Maintaining strength is a priority. I think I am going to try a 4 week cycle before I start a cycle of Prime. Looking forward to the Prime for sure.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.15%

How long before you guys are stalling on any lift on 5/3/1? I'm into my 5th mesocycle and the bench is starting to slow down big style but hasn't halted; yet.

What did you do? change ME lift (e.g. flat bench to incline or deadlifts to rack/deficit deadlifts)? or recalculate weights and start again?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  164 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.14%

Quote Originally Posted by SemiBulimic View Post
    How long before you guys are stalling on any lift on 5/3/1? I'm into my 5th mesocycle and the bench is starting to slow down big style but hasn't halted; yet.

What did you do? change ME lift (e.g. flat bench to incline or deadlifts to rack/deficit deadlifts)? or recalculate weights and start again?
    I am on my 7th cycle and have yet just the other day, missed my prescribed reps by 1, but I think I will be recalculating my #'s...it's also what he recommends, but a change in the main lift may help.

I know a couple of ppl switched from the military press to the push-press with success.

By the way, the 5/3/1 is a solid program. I understand that it's a "slow" program and for those that don't follow it to a "t", recognize that you/it will not work. Even Wendler says that.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%

I dropped the the SMP from my 5/3/1 completely. After two weeks of SMP and benching, my shoulders were already screaming. Has anyone else done this? For me personally, I think it's too much stress on the shoulders when training raw. I am now benching on Mondays, deadlifting on Wednesday and squatting on Saturday or Sunday. I'm doing an extra day of accessory work on Friday or Saturday, depending what day I squat on. This week is my deload week, so I think I should be able to tell a difference in my shoulders possibly tonight when I bench, but by next week for sure when the cycle starts over. Curious what you guys think about this...
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I got mine setup like this...

Tues - OHP
    Wed - DL
    Fri - BP
    Sat - SQ

I added band work into everything except OHP. My shoulder arent hurting but Im definately looking forward to the deload next week.

Keep in mind that the OHP is an accessory lift to the BP, I wouldnt drop it. Id switch to a push press or if that wasnt possible a seated press
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.28%

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhyde View Post
    I dropped the the SMP from my 5/3/1 completely. After two weeks of SMP and benching, my shoulders were already screaming. Has anyone else done this? For me personally, I think it's too much stress on the shoulders when training raw. I am now benching on Mondays, deadlifting on Wednesday and squatting on Saturday or Sunday. I'm doing an extra day of accessory work on Friday or Saturday, depending what day I squat on. This week is my deload week, so I think I should be able to tell a difference in my shoulders possibly tonight when I bench, but by next week for sure when the cycle starts over. Curious what you guys think about this...
    I would just do a BP assistance workout in place of your OHP day on the program. Some moderate assistance work could help build your BP without beating up your shoulders too much. One thing that worked for me before my last raw meet was doing a BP assistance day were I did very light DB overhead presses for 2-3 sets of 30-40 reps and then some light tricep and upper back work. This kept me fresh on my main BP day, but let me get some work in on another day.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.14%

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I would just do a BP assistance workout in place of your OHP day on the program. Some moderate assistance work could help build your BP without beating up your shoulders too much. One thing that worked for me before my last raw meet was doing a BP assistance day were I did very light DB overhead presses for 2-3 sets of 30-40 reps and then some light tricep and upper back work. This kept me fresh on my main BP day, but let me get some work in on another day.
    That's exactly what I had in mind. I was going to keep an extra assistance day anyway, and I was thinking I would add either a chest or shoulder exercise, but keep the weight fairly light. Just enough to stimulate the chest and shoulders. I felt like the OHP was also taking away from my bench day because my shoulders were already so fatigued. Thanks for the input, bro.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.15%

my 5/3/1 regime is staggered so i'm not hitting the heavier weights on each lift all in the same week. i.e. this week i'm in my 3rd week in the mesocycle of squatting, 1st week in benching, etc. etc. this wasn't intentional initially but with regards the shoulders it means i'm not hitting them super heavy in the same week. that and plenty of light accessory and rotator cuff work, 50% cissus and they're fine so far.
  9. Cutting Sucks!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.81%

I figured I would chime in on this again since I have been doing 5/3/1 for quite a while now. I have gotten to where I mainly use it for deads and OHP. When I started 5/3/1, my deadlift PR was 500x5. Today, I pulled 565x3 with some left in the tank. This is over a period of 6-7 months. For me, that's awesome progress as that 500x5 stood for a while. As a reference, I am setting up my next cycle with a 565 max which is around 90%. Do not run this program with your true maxes. I think that really needs to be stressed. OHP is a huge weakness of mine. Over the same time frame, it went from 185x5 to 205x5. 20 pounds may not seem like a lot, but it's a solid gain to me. Overall, I'm a big fan of this program. I have a lot of experience with it so any questions are welcome.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.28%

Sounds like you're making great progress. Whatever you are doing, you should keep it up. How often do you go for rep maxes on the DL? I've struggled to make progress with my DL because I end up killing my lower back going for rep maxes.
  11. Cutting Sucks!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.81%

I usually will do it once per cycle. Usually on the 5/3/1 day on the last set. It really depends on how I feel. I don't feel the need to go for a rep max on the last set of each workout. I will usually leave a rep or two in the tank. I haven't done a true 1RM in a while. I'm training for a PL comp right now so that will happen soon. I also will give myself an extra day to recover sometime. I space out my heavy squats and deads pretty far apart. My hamstrings tend to stay sore from squatting so I will postpone my deads sometimes. If the deads are getting your low back, don't be afraid to back off on the percentages a little.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.46%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Im not pulling as much as you but I dont go all out on deadlifts either, prolly could do 1-2more. My form gets worse and worse the more fatigue I experience, regardless of the exercise. I dont wanna pull or hurt myself for an extra rep
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.34%

I pulled a rep max every week and hit PR's for 3+ months straight on my deadlift doing 5/3/1. Went from 430x6 to 490x6. I also ran an oral cycle but I hit pr's before the cycle and 3 weeks straight after the cycle.

Squats improved a lot as well. Bench, not so much. MP got weaker...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone experience this on ZMK?
    By liddodragon in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
  2. TRT experience
    By RickM in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 06:20 PM
  3. My HRT experience
    By Michael T in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 6