competition bench height. - AnabolicMinds.com

competition bench height.

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

competition bench height.

My Question is about the bench press height. I read that a competition bench press height from the floor to the bench pad is 17.5 inches. However the bench i train on is 21 inches of the ground. I have tried benching of a competition height bench and i loose 25 pounds of my bench any suggestions?

this is the best way to sumerize my problem..when im benching i usually use a realatively close grip. However it seems like when i do that on a competition style bench press its not my strongest way of pressing anymore. I have to use a wider grip.. Also the whole unrack it from behind your head and with ur elbows not all the way extended kills me benching of a competition bench...

i just need some idea of how i would approach this if i was going to do a competition. Ive read that for competition you can adjust the jhook things to wherever u would like it to unrack however im still worried about the height of the ground...

i was thinking if a better arch would help my competition bench? idk just need experts opinons.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Yes, the hook heights can be adjusted on a competition bench. In fact, that's part of the meet is getting your rack heights so don't worry about that.

The only thing you can do as far as bench height is try to bring your feet up. Either use some of those steps that you find in the 'group fitness' room in your gym, or find a couple 100lb plates. Your gym might not have 100s, but they're thicker than 45s. The steps are better because you could move your feet back and forth to get set up, just put one on each side. They will give you 3 or 4" off the ground which will make it feel more like a comp bench.

One of these, you shouldn't need the height blocks, just the top step will give you 3-4".

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Yes, the hook heights can be adjusted on a competition bench. In fact, that's part of the meet is getting your rack heights so don't worry about that.

The only thing you can do as far as bench height is try to bring your feet up. Either use some of those steps that you find in the 'group fitness' room in your gym, or find a couple 100lb plates. Your gym might not have 100s, but they're thicker than 45s. The steps are better because you could move your feet back and forth to get set up, just put one on each side. They will give you 3 or 4" off the ground which will make it feel more like a comp bench.

One of these, you shouldn't need the height blocks, just the top step will give you 3-4".

thanks man that was a big help. Now im hoping this question makes sense..

I want my competition bench form to make it feel like im still using my 21 inch bench at home. How would you advice i do that? would tucking my feet back a little more than i usuallly do on my 21 inch bench do the trick? or would you recommend something else?
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. GH and Height
    By rlp92 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
  2. Flat Bench vs. Incline Bench
    By noviceiron in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM