leg press = upper shin pain - AnabolicMinds.com

leg press = upper shin pain

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

leg press = upper shin pain

So i decided to try my new apt knee wraps last night and did some impressive weight (for me) on the leg press. After my last, and heaviest set, i have pain in the right above my upper shin, few inches below my knee cap. Isolated to a small bone/bump that is b/w my upper shin and below my knee.

Does anyone know what caused this/ what the bone is

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

You're probably feeling either the medial or lateral condyl of your superior tibia (top 2 bumps of your shin bone on either side). Not sure why you'd be having pain there, unless it a tendon or ligament strain/inflammation. Most likely a strain of your anterior tibialis, that's the biggest muscle on the front of your lower leg that just happens to stretch over those bony prominences.

Keep icing it for a few days, probably nothing serious.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

thx much man. i will ice and it is the top two bumps that are on the front, about an inch to the right of the center on the left. and inch to the left on the right. Could it have been since i did half reps on some of the presses? Put a lot of strain on the area instead of the quad?
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

I can't tell what area you are talking about. If it's the bump right in front that's just below the knee, that's where the patella tendon attaches. If it's off to the sides it is the condyles of the tibia. If it's the patellar attachment, be careful and don't max on the leg press. If it's the condyles it might just be the tightness of the knee wraps.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

this is off subject but do any of you feel the leg press is not worth it when it comes to powerlifting? I mean i feel stress on my knees and no carryover to squat. Nor do i get a pump from them. Hack Squats are way better IMO for size and pump and maybe even strength.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

my pain in below the tendon that is below the knee cap. few inches lower at the top of the shin. 1/2 inch to the right on left front leg
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

I wouldn't be using knee wraps to go that heavy on the leg press then. I don't think it's all that beneficial to go really heavy on the leg press anyway. Use it as an assistance exercise for the squat and save the heavy stuff for squats.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

do you think that the pain was from using wraps on the leg press or just from going heavy
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Could be a little of both. Leg presses can put somewhat unusual stresses on the knee joint depending on the foot position. There's also the potential to load the joint with tremendous forces. If you're stressing that patellar tendon to the point of pain, there is a chance of tendon injury or rupture. These are really bad injuries to try and rehab and would likely require surgery. The good news is that you appear to be OK at this point, but you may have to tread carefully so this doesn't turn into a problem. Tight wraps will be uncomfortable and could leave you a little bruised or sore. Regardless of what is causing the pain, here's what I would suggest:
    1) Ice the area daily until any pain or swelling goes away.
    2) Keep the weights moderate for more reps on the leg press (nothing that would require knee wraps).
    3) Save the knee wraps for heavy squats.
    4) If you want something to just keep the knees warm, get some neoprene knee sleeves.
    5) Pay attention to your body and if it still hurts, keep things light until it gets better.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

sounds like a great plan. i probably over loaded it and its inflamed
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    this is off subject but do any of you feel the leg press is not worth it when it comes to powerlifting? I mean i feel stress on my knees and no carryover to squat. .
    Yeah I agree. I get wierd and all sorts of pain from leg press. Definetly shin pain, knee pain and the worst is groin pain when the lift gets heavy enough. I can't do leg press heavy. I just avoid it altogether. It's not worth it IMO.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.

so then on leg day. i just squat then use leg press a light secondary exercise like extensions?
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    Yeah I agree. I get wierd and all sorts of pain from leg press. Definetly shin pain, knee pain and the worst is groin pain when the lift gets heavy enough. I can't do leg press heavy. I just avoid it altogether. It's not worth it IMO.
    hell yea i noticed it helped my squat 0% and if i try them for hytrophy i either use a light weight and get no pump or if i go heavy it feels like a squat gone bad and i use my lower back alot.... sure it looks sweet with that thing loaded up with plates but the real life strength carryover is zero i would say.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shin pain during leg extensions
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
  2. Pain in upper arm
    By hammad76 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 12:27 AM
  3. Shin splints/pain while on Havoc?
    By 300Fan in forum Anabolics