Good program for strength? Yes or No?

  1. New Member
    DaveWalton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    160
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    40.64%

    Lightbulb Good program for strength? Yes or No?


    Just wondering if you guys think this is a good program for significant strength gains?

    I mainly ask because it seems like my bench press strength is diminishing after 3 weeks with the program, and it's depressing!

    Reps for valuable input!

    Workout is below:


    Day 1
    Deadlift from ground: 3 sets of 5 reps.
    Deadlift partials (bar set 18” from ground): 2 sets of 5 reps, 2 sets of 2 reps
    Stiff legged deadlifts: 3 set of 10 reps.
    Leg Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Bent over rows: 3 sets of 10 reps. (straight bar for 2 hand) (kettlebells or dumbells for 1 handed)
    Shoulder Shrugs: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps.
    15 minutes of various ab crunches
    Stretch

    Day 2
    Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps
    Triceps extension: 5 sets of 10 reps (kettlebells can be used for seated of lying extensions)
    Biceps curl (straight bar) 4 sets of 10 reps
    Dips (weighted if you can) 6 sets of 10 reps
    Power Cardio: Suggestions –farmer’s walk with dumbbells, Carry 100lb plates, carry and load sand bags
    Stretch

    Day 3
    Off

    Day 4
    Squat or Leg Sled: 3 set of 10 reps, 4 sets of 5 reps
    Leg Curl: 4 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises: 5 sets of 20 reps
    Power Cardio: Suggestions -carry and load sand bags, push or pull vehicles, stadium stairs carrying weight
    Stretch

    Day 5
    Military Press: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps
    Kettlebell Isometric Shoulder Exercises: front raise and hold, side raise and hold. These are great for training for the Crucifix Hold in Strongman
    Power Cleans: 3 set of 10 reps, 2 sets of 5 reps
    Full Pull with Kettlebell or One Armed Snatch with Dumbell: 3 sets of 10
    15 minutes of ab work with a medicine ball
    Stretch

    Day 6
    Build Endurance!
    Big Power Cardio Day
    Work with Strongman Implements you have or just find some heavy items and lay out a carrying medley

    Wind Sprints at 80 percent effort
    5 – 100 yards 5 – 50 yards (then add as you need)
    This is great for building endurance and wind!
    Stretch

    Day 7
    Off
    Suggestion: Get a massage on this day

  2. Advanced Member
    wontstop985's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    510
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    43.37%

    You appear to have forgotten to mention what program you are talking about...
  3. New Member
    DaveWalton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    160
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    40.64%

    Quote Originally Posted by wontstop985 View Post
    You appear to have forgotten to mention what program you are talking about...
    LOL at me and thanks for pointing that out.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.3%

    I think it's less than ideal if you are going to do a big day of strongman events and a bunch of sprints. Most people who train strongman events and alot of strength endurance work only do 2-3 days of work in the gym. If you are going to have a big strongman/sprint day, only do 2-3 days of regular gym workouts. I would combine my SQ and DL days in the gym and maybe scale back on the upper body stuff depending on whether any overhead events are included on your strongman day. This should help with overall recovery.
    For the bench press, what kind of progression are you using? Doing five sets of five doesn't tell us anything. Did you start with a weight that wasn't too difficult to complete 5x5 or did you start at your 5x5 max? With those types of schemes you need to start with a reasonable weight and add 5 lbs. per week to gain some momentum over time.
  5. New Member
    DaveWalton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    160
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    40.64%

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I think it's less than ideal if you are going to do a big day of strongman events and a bunch of sprints. Most people who train strongman events and alot of strength endurance work only do 2-3 days of work in the gym. If you are going to have a big strongman/sprint day, only do 2-3 days of regular gym workouts. I would combine my SQ and DL days in the gym and maybe scale back on the upper body stuff depending on whether any overhead events are included on your strongman day. This should help with overall recovery.
    For the bench press, what kind of progression are you using? Doing five sets of five doesn't tell us anything. Did you start with a weight that wasn't too difficult to complete 5x5 or did you start at your 5x5 max? With those types of schemes you need to start with a reasonable weight and add 5 lbs. per week to gain some momentum over time.
    Thanks for the input! Appreciated. Concerning the bench, I started with a weight I could get for 3x5 and then 1 x4 and 1 x3. What should I have started with for the 5x5?
  6. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.3%

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWalton View Post
    Thanks for the input! Appreciated. Concerning the bench, I started with a weight I could get for 3x5 and then 1 x4 and 1 x3. What should I have started with for the 5x5?
    Whatever that weight was, drop it by at least 20 lbs. and make sure you can get 5x5 without killing yourself the first week. Then add 5 lbs. each week. This should be heavy enough to cause a training adaptation, but still allow you to add weight for several weeks. When you get to a point that you can't complete the 5x5, try again the next week with the same weight. If you still fail, drop the weight down (but not quite as low as the when you started) and ramp back up again over several weeks. If you do this correctly, you should reach a higher peak 5x5 each time. Also make sure you are eating plenty since as this training should support size gains if you eat enough.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Good program for strength? Yes or No?
    By DaveWalton in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
  2. Need help with strength program
    By Emerge in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  3. 3x3 program for strength
    By warriorway in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 06:16 PM
  4. strength program...
    By sepheus61 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in