another freakin bench question - AnabolicMinds.com

another freakin bench question

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

another freakin bench question

ok this is like the forth million one and im sure you all get sick of reading this but..

my bench is stuck i tried to do board press cycle well my lockout is strong but since i have not been doing full ROM heavy benching im getting stuck of my chest now. Ive been working back with heavy rows to still not enough.

I did heavy singles 80% of ORM with chains after 8 x 3 on dynamic effort day the bar weight i use 205-225 + 40 pounds chains but ME day is still no gains on flat bench. My best max was in may i hit 265 and within the last two months i hit 255. Today i hit 245 could have hit more but i just wanted to see where i was at and 245 kinda hard.

anyways any suggestions on what to do for flat bench? im thinking about doing dropping floor press and working up to a 3 rep max on floor press and try doing heavy singles on ME day.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Here are some things I see:
    1) Your DE bench is WAY too heavy. Your DE work should be about 135 based on your strength levels.
    2) For ME day, do mostly full range or near-full range movements. If I had to set up an ME rotation I would do full range BP, incline bench (pinkie on rings), 1-board, and standing military press.
    3) After you work up to your heavy single on ME day, drop the weight to ~80% and do 1-2 sets of 5 reps.
    4) Do high rep DB bench presses (20 reps) for at least 3 sets once a week. You can do this as a second or third movement on ME day or DE day.
    5) Gain weight.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Here are some things I see:
    1) Your DE bench is WAY too heavy. Your DE work should be about 135 based on your strength levels.
    2) For ME day, do mostly full range or near-full range movements. If I had to set up an ME rotation I would do full range BP, incline bench (pinkie on rings), 1-board, and standing military press.
    3) After you work up to your heavy single on ME day, drop the weight to ~80% and do 1-2 sets of 5 reps.
    4) Do high rep DB bench presses (20 reps) for at least 3 sets once a week. You can do this as a second or third movement on ME day or DE day.
    5) Gain weight.
    1.alright so DE day i use 135 and 20pound chain each side you saying drop the chains and just use the bar? and should i keep the 3 singles at 80% of max or no?

2. I like the rotation ill definitely start it but where should i do floor press because that does alot for my Bench it seems.

i like the dropping to 80% and doing reps and also i am working on gaining weight!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

If your getting stuck on your chest the weight is too heavy.
    what works for one person may not work for you so you may find the answer to your problem today, tomorrow or not until next year. Just take your time and dont get frustrated.
    First thing your going to have to do is make sure your technique is good.
    -feet planted
    -shoulder blades together
    -nice arch (should be feel weight on your traps)
    -row the weight to your chest
    then if your tight and your flex your lats it should move your arms an inch or so by themselves.

my suggestion would be LOTS of lat work. dumb bell rows/ pull ups/ lat pull downs etc..
    and weighted dips.
    on top of your routine do
    100 dips a week. 50 if you do weighted dips
    100 pull ups

make sure your not add dropping exercises everytime your on here. move slow so you can determine what works and what does not.
    keep us posted on your progress. good luck
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Len View Post
    If your getting stuck on your chest the weight is too heavy.
    what works for one person may not work for you so you may find the answer to your problem today, tomorrow or not until next year. Just take your time and dont get frustrated.
    First thing your going to have to do is make sure your technique is good.
    -feet planted
    -shoulder blades together
    -nice arch (should be feel weight on your traps)
    -row the weight to your chest
    then if your tight and your flex your lats it should move your arms an inch or so by themselves.

my suggestion would be LOTS of lat work. dumb bell rows/ pull ups/ lat pull downs etc..
    and weighted dips.
    on top of your routine do
    100 dips a week. 50 if you do weighted dips
    100 pull ups

make sure your not add dropping exercises everytime your on here. move slow so you can determine what works and what does not.
    keep us posted on your progress. good luck
    ahh see this is where more confusion comes in. i have done weighted dips and can do 135 for 5 BW i can hit close to 100. and i do lat pulldowns pretty damn heavy. and my DB rows i do them like matt kroc to failure and i hit the 100s no straps in the 20-25 rep range each side with no rest....

im thinking my problem is more of the board pressing worked my lockouts but i need off the chest strength which i figured floor press would work if not i can try incline its so confusing.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    1.alright so DE day i use 135 and 20pound chain each side you saying drop the chains and just use the bar? and should i keep the 3 singles at 80% of max or no?

2. I like the rotation ill definitely start it but where should i do floor press because that does alot for my Bench it seems.

i like the dropping to 80% and doing reps and also i am working on gaining weight!
    If you are doing regular benches as part of your ME rotation, there's no reason to work up on DE day for now.
    You can either add floor press to the rotation I mentioned, or replace 1-board work with floor press.
    The key for me with a Westside template was to learn the difference between a training max and a competition max. In other words, don't get all fired up and go out of your mind on ME day. You should work up to a heavy single you can do with a minimal psych up. Going crazy every ME day will burn you out quickly and limit your progress.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

If you are doing regular benches as part of your ME rotation, there's no reason to work up on DE day for now.
    You can either add floor press to the rotation I mentioned, or replace 1-board work with floor press.
    The key for me with a Westside template was to learn the difference between a training max and a competition max. In other words, don't get all fired up and go out of your mind on ME day. You should work up to a heavy single you can do with a minimal psych up. Going crazy every ME day will burn you out quickly and limit your progress.
    so im guessing yesterday the heavy 245 which in reality wasnt too heavy at all is what i should aim for. Then maybe 250 to 255 next week then go to different part of the rotation and keep going on with the cycle and only go for a true max in competion?
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Try to beat what you did last time for every ME movement. So if you did 245 last time, then when you come back to flat bench again in 4-5 weeks, try to beat that. If next time you try 250 or 255 and it feels heavy, then stop there. If you take one of those weights and absolutely kill it then take one more at 260 or 265.
    Save the all-out max primarily for competitions. If you don't have any competitions for a long time, hit a max SQ, BP, and DL every 8-12 weeks just to see where you are at.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Try to beat what you did last time for every ME movement. So if you did 245 last time, then when you come back to flat bench again in 4-5 weeks, try to beat that. If next time you try 250 or 255 and it feels heavy, then stop there. If you take one of those weights and absolutely kill it then take one more at 260 or 265.
    Save the all-out max primarily for competitions. If you don't have any competitions for a long time, hit a max SQ, BP, and DL every 8-12 weeks just to see where you are at.
    alright see thats what im thining the 245 was easily a little struggle at the midway point i felt like i could have hit 250 maybe 255. It was my first week back to full ROM bench press. I think ill do 255 this week or next then move to a different ME. sounds ok?
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

Sounds OK. If you are doing each ME movement more than one week, be sure to not go too crazy the first week. Eventually you will want to go to rotating your ME movement every week.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Sounds OK. If you are doing each ME movement more than one week, be sure to not go too crazy the first week. Eventually you will want to go to rotating your ME movement every week.
    alright when flat benching i realized that singles i can always go up usually 15 pounds first time i tried them i went
    225 to 240. Then 240 to 255 but i have to wait awhile in between cycles. i was hitting 5-8 singles on this... It just gets to me that my max hasnt gone up since march, but back then 225-245 felt hard now those go up easily no matter how bad of a workout im having so i guess thats good ? if that even made sense lol
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.

If you're just interested in bench try smolov jr for it. Mine had stuck for 2 years and i added 22lbs in 4 weeks to it on this.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=239158

look at bottom of page for details
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiBulimic View Post
    If you're just interested in bench try smolov jr for it. Mine had stuck for 2 years and i added 22lbs in 4 weeks to it on this.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=239158

look at bottom of page for details
    im deffintely going to try this in the future. however i started the coan one today. ill stick with that because i will get a chance to do 10 reps 8 reps etc and work down i mean i cant even tell u the last time i used 10 reps.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  248 lbs.

i found the coan/philipi DL prog more productive than his bench prog but that's just me.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiBulimic View Post
    i found the coan/philipi DL prog more productive than his bench prog but that's just me.
    His bench routine works for me usually adds 10-15 lbs. His DL one did too. I tried the squat it worked but i did Squat and DL in the same week and it became too much
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

If your getting stuck at the bottom id try heavy dumbell presses or standing military presses....... do your standing military presses by tucking your elbow at the bottom and flaring them to lockout at the top, that will help you with your bench form.

Remember your only as strong as your weakest link..... if you have a big fast muscle car with bad tires, do you change the tires or buy a new car.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

You're changing to a different BP program? Your biggest problem right now appears to be program jumping. Pick a proven template or program and stick with it for a while. You'll never get anywhere if you start a new program every month.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

You're changing to a different BP program? Your biggest problem right now appears to be program jumping. Pick a proven template or program and stick with it for a while. You'll never get anywhere if you start a new program every month.
    I meant that i will follow threw with the coan program. Im just going to put his recommended 2 x 10,8,6,4 etc.. in as the ME movement.

Similar Forum Threads

1. bench shirt question???
    By stullsy in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 05:41 PM
  2. another freakin gyno question- sorry guys
    By Brian5225 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
  3. Incline Bench Press Question
    By MaDmaN in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
  4. bench shirt (not a typical question about them)
    By cpa5oh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 10:50 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 10:12 AM