Do I have what it takes?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.1%

Do I have what it takes?

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong section or something, but I've always been interested in competing - specifically for the deadlift.

I weigh 183lbs and my max was 520 (this was in the summer), I feel that I can possibly get 530 at my next attempt. But what I want to know is, is 520 good for a 183 pounder? Or is that nothing out of the ordinary? I'd like to know if that stat is good enough to compete and if so, how would I go about entering a competition? Sorry if these q's are extreme noob lol.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

yes thats really good. now ur talking straight barbell deadlift with a belt right
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.47%

Anyone who can perform the lifts can compete. I've seen some of the weakest lifters at a meet get the most applause and support because of the effort and determination they showed.
    Go to powerliftingwatch and search for a meet that is near where you live.
    How you compare your strength to others is all relative. Compared to the average gym-goer you are extremely strong. Compared to world record holders in your age and weight class, not so much. Don't worry about how you compare to others at your first meet. Just go and establish a meet PR. Then do another meet a few months later and try to beat it.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.1%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    yes thats really good. now ur talking straight barbell deadlift with a belt right
    of course lol, i try not to use any assisting equip such as belts, bench shirts, or straps - though using a belt is a must when maxing for deads lol

that's really interesting, i had no idea about the info you gave me SRS. i'll def look into it, thanks dude.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.17%

That is alot of weight bro. Good Job!
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hitsquaddd View Post
    of course lol, i try not to use any assisting equip such as belts, bench shirts, or straps - though using a belt is a must when maxing for deads lol

that's really interesting, i had no idea about the info you gave me SRS. i'll def look into it, thanks dude.
    lol well im use to the HS football players at my gym saying oo i deadlift over 400-500 and off course it in the triangle bar or whatever you call it. but u can get like some crazy number in there even if its ur first time lol.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.79%

Awesome advice!!!Don't worry about others, although it is human nature to always compare your self to others in order to properly evlauate yourself...we all do it. But the bottom line is, your always competing against yourself in a PL competition, always trying tyo grt a newe meet PR regardless if its a state or world record, who cares as long as you improve each and every meet. Eventually, you may find yourself putting up records that are on a state or even world record level. I caution you though, a "World Record" is a term used vert loosely in the PL world because there are so many federations and divisions within those federations (Equipped, non-equipped (raw), junior, seniors, Etc). A world record in one federation may not even come close to cutting the mustard in another federation even in identical weight classes.

Good Luck and 520 at 183 is an outstanding deadlift. If you can trim down 2 pounds and lift in the 181 weight class your lookin good.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.57%

That is an outstanding deadlift for what little I know! CONGRATS!
    Keep up the hard work bro! Good luck in a meet, I think you would do great!
    Like they said...ignore those records, and just work to keep beating yourself and improving.
    Grip it and rip it!
    DH
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.1%

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I'm looking to compete sometime in the summer, if I do I'll def. record it and hopefully I can get to 550 if I stay at a solid 180 lbs. You guys have given me a lot of great info and ways to motivate myself, and thanks DH for the rep pts

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
  2. DIM gives me wood and TMG takes it away. whats up???????????
    By dynomite in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
  3. Asking if some one takes juice, yay or nay?
    By warbird01 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
  4. Do I have what it takes?
    By dhuge67 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 04:16 PM