EMBARRSSING board press moment - AnabolicMinds.com

EMBARRSSING board press moment

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

EMBARRSSING board press moment

ok so i had to get up after only 4 hours of sleep and do Max effort upper body. i was doing 4 board press which is an awkward place for my low bench press to be stuck anyways..

i was doing going for 290 i hit 285 last week. i completely missed it. i unracked it i think unrolled my shoudlers and right when i hit the board i got stuck. my spotter was ****ty and couldnt get it up! so i just had to get the board pulled out bottom line ****ING sucked with 290 pushing a 4 board into my chest. thank god i got out quick. my chest kinda hurts tho..

any advice I dont think im injured just hurts a bit.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

How in world could your spotter not get the weight off of you? Did you quit pushing completely? A teenage girl should be able to spot you on that one as long you were still trying to push the bar.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    How in world could your spotter not get the weight off of you? Did you quit pushing completely? A teenage girl should be able to spot you on that one as long you were still trying to push the bar.
    well that dumb **** was distracted by MY PHONE going off , who cares if it was mine... and i started pushing and his hands werent under and it came down and had no strength to push so i was stuck i had to push again and then kinda had him get it off... it sucked tho !!!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.

only tip I could give you is stop unracking the weights yourself and let the spotter give you the lift-off. Once I start my worksets I get a lift-off on every one, allows me to stay tight and keep the blades pinched....
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.

Unless you're unusually tall, or doing shirt work, a 4 board isn't a great max effort exercise. I've done it; it's good leading into a meet, but it's not that great for building useful strength for full range or raw lifting. Again, if you're super tall this may not be the case.

Demand more from your spotters. Unless you're a doctor or waiting for an important call, leave your phone in your car/locker or shut it off.
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

lol 4 board press is your ME bench movement?
    SFW and GFH
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    lol 4 board press is your ME bench movement?
    dude you can quit trying to grill on all my posts, first you were on my ass about that jim wendler 5-3-1 **** cuz i only used those percentages for squats..

and yes its my max effort movement because thats where i get stuck, weird place to get stuck i know.. but ur trying to be a dbag about it i mean your numbers arent great at all for weighing 225 so i dont know why your trying to sound cool.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CJPopovich View Post
    Unless you're unusually tall, or doing shirt work, a 4 board isn't a great max effort exercise. I've done it; it's good leading into a meet, but it's not that great for building useful strength for full range or raw lifting. Again, if you're super tall this may not be the case.

Demand more from your spotters. Unless you're a doctor or waiting for an important call, leave your phone in your car/locker or shut it off.
    i had to have my phone on because my parents were leaving outta town and needed to get ahold of me. but idk why he had to look at it.

but also its really weird i get 270-275 way of my chest way past mid way its literallly like the last 1-2 inches its that small of an area i get stuck in! so thats why i picked the 4 board this week.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    dude you can quit trying to grill on all my posts, first you were on my ass about that jim wendler 5-3-1 **** cuz i only used those percentages for squats..

and yes its my max effort movement because thats where i get stuck, weird place to get stuck i know.. but ur trying to be a dbag about it i mean your numbers arent great at all for weighing 225 so i dont know why your trying to sound cool.
    Im not trying to sound cool. Why do a 4 board press as your main movement? Why not do it as accessory work? You should try doing rack/pin presses instead if you are having problems with spotters. it makes more sense.
    SFW and GFH
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Im not trying to sound cool. Why do a 4 board press as your main movement? Why not do it as accessory work? You should try doing rack/pin presses instead if you are having problems with spotters. it makes more sense.
    read above i answered that for someone else.. my sticking point is literally 1-2 incles from lockout idk why it just is. ive dont it the last two weeks i think im going for 270 this week so well see if it worked
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    read above i answered that for someone else.. my sticking point is literally 1-2 incles from lockout idk why it just is. ive dont it the last two weeks i think im going for 270 this week so well see if it worked
    I don't understand why you max out almost every week but good luck nonetheless. If you're having trouble with lock out's do some CG bench and focus on strengthening your triceps. Im sure you already know this though.
    SFW and GFH
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

I don't understand why you max out almost every week but good luck nonetheless. If you're having trouble with lock out's do some CG bench and focus on strengthening your triceps. Im sure you already know this though.
    max out every week? i cant remember the last time i maxed out? if im following a westside template your suppose to max out on a certain lift every week. i havent flat barbell max bench pressed forever.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.

A general rule of thumb is to train board 1-2" below your sticking point. Your weakest point is typically just below where the bar stops. Remember the bar had some upward momentum before your weak point and thus the momentum will carry it up a little further than your actual weakest point. So if you stick at ~4 board level, add some 2 and 3 boards into your ME rotation.
    I don't know exactly what board level your sticking point correlates to, but that gives you an idea of how to target it some. Also, if you're missing 290 off a 4-board don't get too caught up in weak points since everything is probably weak at this point. It's OK to target your weak points a little, but most of your focus should be on getting stronger at full range or near-full range movements.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    A general rule of thumb is to train board 1-2" below your sticking point. Your weakest point is typically just below where the bar stops. Remember the bar had some upward momentum before your weak point and thus the momentum will carry it up a little further than your actual weakest point. So if you stick at ~4 board level, add some 2 and 3 boards into your ME rotation.
    I don't know exactly what board level your sticking point correlates to, but that gives you an idea of how to target it some. Also, if you're missing 290 off a 4-board don't get too caught up in weak points since everything is probably weak at this point. It's OK to target your weak points a little, but most of your focus should be on getting stronger at full range or near-full range movements.
    alright thanks man...ive been all 3 board and 2 board just the last two weeks i figured i would try 4 board... i think ill try to do 270 full ROM. and see whats weak then wait another 6-8 weeks b4 maxing.. my deads are going up consistantly not bench tho !
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Smith Machine Behind Neck Press vs Dumbbell Press
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  2. Dumbbell Press or Chest Press -- Do you go all the way down?
    By Markusrulezzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM
  3. How to create a Board Press
    By brownstown89 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
  4. Advice on 3-board press
    By rxp1997 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 07:33 AM