westside barbell book of methods WOW need help.

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

westside barbell book of methods WOW need help.

ok so basically ive tried to do westside templates for a year now and i just started again so im hoping im doing it right. Im reading the book and its just so confusing. Im mean double mini band and so many different boxes to squat off etcc... I mean im only squatting 325 full ATG. benching 265 and deadlift 440. so im guessing i dont need these chains and bands etcc for squats and deads but for bench i do use chains and boards. i mostly do this because my shoulders hurt from football in HS and i want to keep upping my bench without the full ROM.

A couple questions i got...

There is a speed Lower body day and ME lower body day. For max effort lower body day i do full ROM deadlift. I have no idea how to work squat in there, if i dont DL of the ground it simply doesnt go up? but on DE lower body day i squat then do rack pulls (which mostly strengthen my lower back.. so any suggestions on how to work a heavy squat into this?

also i can do a 45 degree hyper extentions, good mornings and cable pullthroughs for lower back but i cant do reverse hypers at my gym any suggestions on what to replace it with? or will i be fine with the ones i mentioned.

lastly can someone PLEASE follow my log i cant change the title but its the wendler 5/3/1 log the last page or 2 i switched to westside can someone please look at it and see if im on the right rack ... i can add it in my sig if that helps?

anyways i hope somoene can help me with all this

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.76%

Do a web search for Dave Tate's periodization bible article series. I will lay out the basic "Westside" template. Keep it simple at first and use primarily straight weight for everything. Pick 3-4 ME exercises for both the lower body and upper body and rotate those lifts every week. Use the equipment you have available. There are a million ways to strengthen your back, glutes, and hamstrings so don't get hung up on just one exercise.
    Follow the template as written and don't start screwing around with things. The way to "customize" the program is to pick ME exercises that will work best to fit your needs.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Do a web search for Dave Tate's periodization bible article series. I will lay out the basic "Westside" template. Keep it simple at first and use primarily straight weight for everything. Pick 3-4 ME exercises for both the lower body and upper body and rotate those lifts every week. Use the equipment you have available. There are a million ways to strengthen your back, glutes, and hamstrings so don't get hung up on just one exercise.
    Follow the template as written and don't start screwing around with things. The way to "customize" the program is to pick ME exercises that will work best to fit your needs.
    thanks man, thats what im doing i watched dave tates bench press cure. and for bench im using 3 board, 2 board, Floor press. and then 5-8 singles but i only use that every couple months. lower body max effort i use platform deads, rack deads, good mornings, squats..

Assistance for lower body i do hyperextentions, cable pull threws, back extentions , also rack deads from 2nd pin really hit the lower back.

Assitance for upper body i do INcline or flat db press, Tricep pulldowns to failure ( at the end). Then Db or barbell extentions, CG bench, board press etc..

i think i got this right but one of my main questions is do i push it to a 3-5 rep max on tricep assistance as well i have read that alot?
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.76%

Sounds like you have a reasonable exercise mix. As far as the heavy tricep work goes, once a week on ME day or DE day you can work up to a 3-5 RM on a "big movement" (close grip, board press, pin press, etc...). Keep the reps higher for the extension movements or you will likely start having some elbow problems. Some people do this heavy tricep work on ME day, others do it as a second exercise on DE day. I prefer to do this on ME day so all my "heavy" pressing is on one day. I've tried it on DE day before, but then it amounted to two heavy bench days per week and I had alot of problems with shoulder pain and minor injuries.
    My advice; on ME bench day do your first movement up to a max then do a heavy tricep movement for a few heavy sets of 3-5 reps (doesn't have to be a rep max all the time).

Similar Forum Threads

1. westside barbell routine
    By ukrlanser in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
  2. Can someone critique my Westside Barbell log?
    By DALLASxBROWN in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
  3. Westside Barbell - Looking for recruits
    By borobulker in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
  4. Anyone have the Westside Barbell videos?
    By BigVrunga in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 03:46 PM