decent deadlift??

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  163 lbs.
    Answers

decent deadlift??

what would be a decent or healthy deadlift for a 17 year old with a small frame, 5'11", and 162 pounds? Currently im at 3x5 260 and 1x4 280 and 1x2.5 280. Ive been DL for about a month and just need a basic goal. I'm doing the SL 5x5 too, any insight on that? Thanks in advance

2. Registered User
    Answers

At least double bodyweight is a decent starting goal.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

When I was 19 at 5'10" and 130lbs my max deadlift was 300lbs. Haven't done deads in ages, but puting them in my next training phase.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  163 lbs.
    Answers

and i also stop at the bottom for like a second or two, making sure i have good form, should i continue to do this or lower the weight so i can do proper technique with a higher intensity?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Take that pause at the bottom. I usually reset my grip between reps.
    The Truth is, there is no Truth.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Triple your weight and your a monster. lol
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I'm 40 and a natural low carb eating non competitive BB who weighs 225.

I have 10% BF right now and deadlift 405 for sets of 5. When I eat carbs for a week (and smooth out my abs) I can do 540 plus & I 'd say that sux so you should do a lot more by 20 yrs old. Keep trying.

I can say I at least match my deads with my squats and believe it or not....for a guy, my bench went from 405 to about 200 because I moved to dumbbells 18 years ago. however, my chest grew 4X's as big so I look like I can do more which helps me more so as I grow old.

As shallow as this sounds.........I pound on my buddies daughter's friends when they come to his house to try to bang her and it is fun.

Those tiny white guys wearing backwards baseball caps and droopy pants who think they are gang bangers in our hick town north of Boston kill me. I made it through Iraq twice (hoo rah) and I am not about to let some needle d*ck beat my ass in my town over some under age beaver.

Rock on men!

Rike!!
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rike View Post

I have 10% BF right now and deadlift 405 for sets of 5. When I eat carbs for a week (and smooth out my abs) I can do 540 plus & I 'd say that sux so you should do a lot more by 20 yrs old. Keep trying.

I can say I at least match my deads with my squats and believe it or not....for a guy, my bench went from 405 to about 200 because I moved to dumbbells 18 years ago. however, my chest grew 4X's as big so I look like I can do more which helps me more so as I grow old.

As shallow as this sounds.........I pound on my buddies daughter's friends when they come to his house to try to bang her and it is fun.

Those tiny white guys wearing backwards baseball caps and droopy pants who think they are gang bangers in our hick town north of Boston kill me. I made it through Iraq twice (hoo rah) and I am not about to let some needle d*ck beat my ass in my town over some under age beaver.

Rock on men!

Rike!!

LOL
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

im 5-7 175ish and DL 405 x2 when on stims XD
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Rock on men!

Rike!!
    lmao
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Don't limit yourself! Go as far as you can and as heavy as you can. After you max out, I suggest that you back down to about 50% of your max, maybe 60% and do a set of 20. This is good muscular endurance, but first make sure you max yourself our every week or at least every other week!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by loganccga View Post
    Don't limit yourself! Go as far as you can and as heavy as you can. After you max out, I suggest that you back down to about 50% of your max, maybe 60% and do a set of 20. This is good muscular endurance, but first make sure you max yourself our every week or at least every other week!
    I don't think doing 60% for a set of 20 in the DL is a good idea. I don't know of any big deadlifter who would do this. Even if you were capable of this, your form could be compromised enough to cause an injury late in the set. Sets of 20 are fine for back extensions or something like that, but not a 60% DL.
    If you are training specifically for a DL reps contest that's another story, but in my opinion this isn't the best way to train for max strength.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  212 lbs.
    Answers

doing triples always helped me. 3 reps at 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% and then back down with strict form helps me if im plateauing on anything. try doing this for 4 weeks then try and go for a new 1 rep and i bet it will be at good 10lbs more than it was before.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

**** 20 reps on deadlift for a set i would die
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

If your muscles cant handle the endurance and the length that the max rep might take you then you have to increase your muscular endurance so that you can push through as long as it takes to complete the lift!
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Answers

The endurance from a 20 rep set isn't going to carry over well to a 1 rep max. I've been to plenty of powerlifting meets and tons more training sessions and I can't say I've ever seen anyone miss a max attempt because their endurance wasn't good enough. They either didn't maintain technique or simply weren't strong enough.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Answers

If u wana get a big dead, do singles. Period. Just go up 5lbs/week and only do deads once a week. Right now im at about 500 w/ no wraps and 520 with. Bodyuweight is a tad over 180. No point in reps if you wana get strong. Do heavy singles. good luck, bro. Dont neglect squats.
    CELTIC LABS REP
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Answers

lol hell yea dude hit triples and dont even go for a heavy triple i might triple 315 and go up 50-70 pounds and try to hit a new PR every time if u feel over worked take a week of deads and avoid lifts that stress ur lower back then go back to it.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Rock on men!

Rike!!
    Best. Post. Ever.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.
    Answers

Rock on men!

Rike!!
    Hit that sh*t!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Decent Gains?
    By xx Zues xx in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
  2. Decent Stack??
    By Brandon 04 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
  3. What is a decent deadlift weight for beginner?
    By firstbat71 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 11:19 PM
  4. Is this a decent gain?
    By glaze1353 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
  5. Decent Muscle Mags??
    By bLacKjAck. in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 10:28 PM