What is a good powerlifting/mass routine for 3 days a week training? - AnabolicMinds.com

What is a good powerlifting/mass routine for 3 days a week training?

  1. TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38247

    Reputation

    What is a good powerlifting/mass routine for 3 days a week training?


    I can only train 3 days a week during the school year, other than 5x5 what are good training programs for size?
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html

  2. carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,605
    Rep Power
    83748

    Reputation Reputation

    Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST) is awesome for size.

    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
  3. bigpapa's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,955
    Rep Power
    1570

    Reputation

    i used to love like 8x3 when i was training for football. it would be something like this:

    Monday:
    Bench 8 x 3
    Inclines 8 x 3
    supporting excercises of your choice for back and biceps

    Wednesday:
    Squat 8 x 3
    Powercleans 8 x 3
    supporting excercises of your choice for shoulders and triceps

    Friday:
    Deadlifts 8 x 3
    supporting excercises for legs including lunges, curls, extensions and front squats if you'd like
    •   
       

  4. TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38247

    Reputation

    this put some nice mass on you?


    Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    i used to love like 8x3 when i was training for football. it would be something like this:

    Monday:
    Bench 8 x 3
    Inclines 8 x 3
    supporting excercises of your choice for back and biceps

    Wednesday:
    Squat 8 x 3
    Powercleans 8 x 3
    supporting excercises of your choice for shoulders and triceps

    Friday:
    Deadlifts 8 x 3
    supporting excercises for legs including lunges, curls, extensions and front squats if you'd like
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  5. SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    329

    Reputation

    Check out the 5/3/1 program e-book over at elitefts. It can be run 3 or 4 days per week. The e-book also has some assistance work templates to run with the program specifically for gaining size. Advantages of the program are its simplicity and the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how to progress over time.
  6. TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38247

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    Hypertrophy Specific Training (HST) is awesome for size.

    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
    so for this I would train legs all three days of week one, then chest all three days of week 2, etc...?
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  7. jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Honestly stick to the basics. Make sure you get some bench/inclines, militaries, squats, deads, rows, and chins/pulls in and you will be fine. leave out the fluff. I would keep the main movenemet of the day proggressive overload sets of 5-8 and then accessory work. Something like this

    Incline 3x5
    flat dumbell 3x10
    military standing 2x8
    skull crushers 3x10
    barbell curls 3x10

    squats 3x8
    hacks 2x20
    ham curls 3x8
    low back work
    calves

    deads 2x5
    chins/pullups 3-5x?
    bent rows 3x8
    rear delts 5x10 can do a few exercises
    side delts 2x12
  8. jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Check out the 5/3/1 program e-book over at elitefts. It can be run 3 or 4 days per week. The e-book also has some assistance work templates to run with the program specifically for gaining size. Advantages of the program are its simplicity and the fact that it takes the guesswork out of how to progress over time.
    If i was looking for a raw program i would definately trust wendler. I have not read the ebook yet though. I may pick it up next time i order something.
  9. TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38247

    Reputation

    this is what i usually do something similar, but Im interested in trying something else.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Honestly stick to the basics. Make sure you get some bench/inclines, militaries, squats, deads, rows, and chins/pulls in and you will be fine. leave out the fluff. I would keep the main movenemet of the day proggressive overload sets of 5-8 and then accessory work. Something like this

    Incline 3x5
    flat dumbell 3x10
    military standing 2x8
    skull crushers 3x10
    barbell curls 3x10

    squats 3x8
    hacks 2x20
    ham curls 3x8
    low back work
    calves

    deads 2x5
    chins/pullups 3-5x?
    bent rows 3x8
    rear delts 5x10 can do a few exercises
    side delts 2x12
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  10. TexasLifter89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,237
    Rep Power
    38247

    Reputation

    If I know my approximate 1 rep max how can i translate that into my 10 rep max for HST? I think I am going to give hst a try starting with 10 rep sets, not 15. Then work down to 5 reps, then negatives.
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  11. allstar504448's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    139

    Reputation

    sheiko is the ultimate strength training for bench/deadlift/squat at 3 days a week
    never seen someone say it didnt work for them
  12. brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    i vote wendler although i havent broken any plateaus, im finishing up my second cycle. Bench wise it really adds strength with the basics, i had really bad shoulder pain to where repping anything above 170 was hard. and i have slowly hit 3 x 5 on bench, 3 x 3 then 5,3,1 and my strength is creepin back up to wat it was. It will teach you that you dont need to work up to ur max every workout. It wont leave u in pain. You can do tons of hytrophy work if u dont wanna be huge and bulky. you do it four days a week maybe even 3 and u usually have something in the tank for cardio.

    i finally bought into it and i love it.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. my training routine,, good????
    By thebiggerpict in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
  2. 10 Week Routine Any Good?
    By JohnnyRambo in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 01:28 PM
  3. powerlifting routine...
    By loganccga in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 12:05 AM
  4. Training 3 days a week enough while on cycle?
    By DrakeC in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
  5. DAYS A WEEK of training
    By hawks31 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in