how does this look?

hamr9

Awards
goal is strength, i dont have a whole lot of fancy equip at my gym so i can only stick to the basics, no bands or chains either im lucky they let me use chalk. not even a box for box squats unless i drag a bench over but i think that is too high

Monday Legs
back squat 5x5 /or front squat alternating every other leg day
reverse lunge 4x6
step up 3x12

Tuesday Chest
Flat BB bench 5x5 or 6x4
weighted dips 4x8
inc db press 3x8
lat raise 2x10
cable tri extension 3x8

Wednesday Back/DL
DL 8x3 or 6x4 /or roman DL alternating each back day
pull ups weighted max 4 sets
db swing 4x8
single leg DL 3x8
bent row 3x8

Thursday OFF/ Light cardio maybe some ab wheel

Friday Repeat with legs
Sat chest
sun back
mon off

overall i hit each group once every 4 days

Im looking for feed back on this program is this too much, not enough, am i missing anything, imbalances? etc?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
You don't need that much volume on the deadlift. I would do some pullthroughs, and back extensions. I would pick up a few bands, i love doing pullthroughs with them, and they can add tension on back extensions. Once exercise i like for accessory deadlift work is take a bar, and put in front of the 45 degree hyper, load it up with 25's and do them with the bar in your hands. This should fry your glutes. Dimmel deads are explosive high rep romanian deads, also a good hammy exercise. If you have aerobic steps, you can put those together to make a box, that is what i did, you can also use them as a platform to deadlift off. Make sure not to ingore Goodmornings. Doing bent rows that late in a workout may be tough, try some chest supported. Look up tri accesory work for the bench, the cables are not it. Drop the single leg deads for gm's. Just some random thoughts.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
5 x 5 for bench is overrated. id try to do like 5 x 3 on rest pause singles. alternating with floor press.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
5 x 5 for bench is overrated. id try to do like 5 x 3 on rest pause singles. alternating with floor press.
Not my cup of tea either, i am doing 3x5 now then 2 sets of incline. My training partners are doing 5x2 working up in weight. 5x5 doesn't seem to let me use enough weight to get used to heavy weights.

jason2459

jason2459

Awards
Sorry, I have no input on your workout plan (I'm a fan of the conjugate system myself). But for box squats if your gym has those step platforms with risers you can stack up the risers to the right height, put the platform on top, and sit back on that. I had to do that when I first started and lifted at a commercial gym.

Here's a vid from back then. Walkout and form is a little sloppy but hope you get the idea.

YouTube - ME Low Box Squat 405x1 PR

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
Not my cup of tea either, i am doing 3x5 now then 2 sets of incline. My training partners are doing 5x2 working up in weight. 5x5 doesn't seem to let me use enough weight to get used to heavy weights.
i think 5 x 5 is way over rated gains wont come nearly as fast as if using lower reps. best way to raise bench press is singles so far what i like the best

hamr9

Awards
i think 5 x 5 is way over rated gains wont come nearly as fast as if using lower reps. best way to raise bench press is singles so far what i like the best
how many sets of singles are you doing? doubles?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I have a good bench routine for you, i will write it up later. I got it from a thrower on the Canadian national team.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
please doo i have an intresting one called the buckeye blast u do 8 rep 6,4,2,1,4 and it adjusts the pounds for u . ill post that up if anyone wants it.

Also a routine i thougt about using ed coands rep scheme with my own modifcations
Week 1 190x2x10 (190 will be 95 pound DB bench not barbell)
Week 2 190x2x10 (190 will be 95 pounds in DB bench not barbell again)
Week 3 200x2x8 (using the 100 pound DBs)
Week 4 210x2x8 (using 100 pound dbs)
Week 5 220x2x5 (back to barbell bench)
Week 6 230x2x5
Week 7 240x2x5
Week 8 250x2x3 (will use 250 but for doubles or singles for minmum of 5 reps)
Week 9 260x2x3
Week 10 270x2x2
Week 11 190x2x10
Week 12 300x1

i found 2 problems with my bench
1. the longer i go without a break of flat bb bench the worse my form gets
2. going to heavy too much (doesnt everyone?)

so anyways with the first 4 weeks i work the stablizers and have a break from flat bench. Next 4 weeks i get form and heavy weight get back into the swing of barbell benching.

Next 4 weeks i go heavy singles and up the intensity. im not expecting on getting to 300 but 12 weeks to get to 285 or so would be worth it.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Brownstone the routine is 8 singles followed by 5x5

You have to start a little light and you can only go up or stay the same in the same workout and from week to week. I usually start out around 350 or so and will do a few at 350 than 355 then 360, the next week you have to start at 360, you can do all 8 at 360 if you feel you must but you cannot go down. You have to pace yourself. I usually try and add 10 lbs a week and the last week i will run it up until i fail. After you are done with your 8 singles you do 5x5 at 80% of your last single.

This program has worked for everyone that has done it with me. You also become very explosive from the singles, i get faster from doing this than i ever did from speed work. It is also the only bench work i do that day. I may do some incline or incline dumbells on another day. I usually do it for 6 weeks, but it can be done, i would say, for 4-8 without a problem.

hamr9

Awards
damn isnt that overtraining?
it comes to 33 reps total which i dont think is too bad, but i will have to see how i feel after my workout tonight, it is chest day so ill give this a shot and see....stay tuned for update tomorrow.

my max is 315 so i think i will do 8x1 at 275/285 range then do the 5x5 at 225

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
damn isnt that overtraining?

no, becuase remember you are starting lower than your max. And 80% of your last rep is not as bad as you think when you start conservatively. The last 2 weeks of the 6 week cycle are tough usually. The first one are two are tough just because you are getting used to it. I usually do it twice a year.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
it comes to 33 reps total which i dont think is too bad, but i will have to see how i feel after my workout tonight, it is chest day so ill give this a shot and see....stay tuned for update tomorrow.

my max is 315 so i think i will do 8x1 at 275/285 range then do the 5x5 at 225
That is too high if you plan on doing it for 6 weeks.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
deffinetley liek this will do it but jcp2 you have any idea when im training why my i dont feel anything in my shoulders its like im pushing with all arms and chest nothing in my shoulders? even if my elbows are falred out or tucked?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
deffinetley liek this will do it but jcp2 you have any idea when im training why my i dont feel anything in my shoulders its like im pushing with all arms and chest nothing in my shoulders? even if my elbows are falred out or tucked?
Brownstone, i have no clue. Shoulders are not something you need to learn to use like lats. I personally have had a hard time activating my pecs the last few weeks since i have been dieting. My training partner was trying to figure it out yesterday. One thing that always helps me is lifting with the same person all the time. They notice when you do things differently and your form changes, because sometimes you don't.

Intrigued

Awards
jcp2 I am really looking forward to giving this a go! I just have a few quick questions! Firstly what rest periods would you advisein between the singles and the 5x5.Also would it be overtraining to throw in weighted dips on this day or even on shoulder day!

I was thinking of doing this for 4 weeks so if i was working off a max of 230, should i start by doing singles in the 200/210 range??

hamr9

Awards
That is too high if you plan on doing it for 6 weeks.
yea i quickly realized that when I started last night so i dropped to 260 and ill move up to 265 next week, i still did 225 for my 5x5 and that felt good.

my rest periods for the 8x1 was about 90 seconds and my rest for the 5x5 was also 90 seconds.

oh yea and im a bit sore today in the chest, I guess I am not used to doing 8 explosive singles!

hamr9

Awards
JCP, what are your splits for using this program once every.....how many days?

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
JCP, what are your splits for using this program once every.....how many days?
I do it once a week. I usually am pretty banged up after 6 weeks, but i definately get stronger doing it.

hamr9

Awards
I do it once a week. I usually am pretty banged up after 6 weeks, but i definately get stronger doing it.
stronger...yes i like that, thats what i was thinking too once a week, the DOMS is still coming in...

Big_Spaz

Big_Spaz

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I agree as well. No need to do 5X5 when going simply for strength.

I always stuck to double's and at the most triple's.

-Spaz

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
i personally respond best to 10x3, but mixing it up is how you get your body to adapt to different workloads, so no way is really overrated its just knowing what your body responds to best and knowing other ways to get you through plateus

hamr9

Awards
What is the general opinion on squats 5x5?, this has been working for me for the past few weeks and i am able to add 5-10lbs each week. idk how long that will last but just wanted some feedback on squat reps.

stullsy

Awards
  • Established
What is the general opinion on squats 5x5?, this has been working for me for the past few weeks and i am able to add 5-10lbs each week. idk how long that will last but just wanted some feedback on squat reps.
i think 5x5 is a good starting point for powerlifting whether it be squats deads or bench