1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ideal Rest period for Deadlift?

So I've been deadlifting for little over a year now and depending on the routine i see different rest periods. So far what seems to work best for me resting from 5-10 minutes even up to 15 when going heavy deadlift. What i have noticed is that I get the most gains when i hit fewer reps, higher weight, longer rest.

Now is this because im still relatively new to deadlift or making sure you rest properly between sets the way to really boost your deadlift?

The rest of my back lifts i dont need to rest as much (i.e. bent over row, pull down, pull up, seated row etc).

Some advice for this newbie?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.81%

lifting a few reps of the highest weight you can handle is the quickest and best way to achieve gains in terms of upping the weight you're capable of lifting.

generally 5 minutes is the minimum when lifting like this. but if 15 minutes is what it takes for you to lift your best then go ahead. deads hit many more and larger muscles than what you're dealing with in the exercises you described as not needing to rest as much for. you'll up the weight faster repping 455x3 w/ 10-15 min rest than you will repping 365x8 w/ 5 min rest. just do whatever it takes to help you get the heavy wt is what im saying.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

after 5 minutes your body has recruited as much muscle fiber as its going to. this sounds like a mental thing to me. Id keep my rests between 3-5 minutes on heavier weights at 80% of your rep max and higher. And dont physch yourself out, dont even think about it just grip and rip. lift the light weights like their heavy and lift the heavy weights like their light.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

I have probably waited up to a half hour before, probably not needed, but the deadlift is so much mental as you never feel the weight until you start the lift. You have to be in the right frame of mind, and it at times takes me a few minutes to recover, and even a few minutes to open my hands after a heavy set of 5, especially when using chains.

I remember reading an article by Jim Wendler, he was talking about deadlifting with Dave Tate and he was saying they would just open folding chairs in front of the platform and they would lift when they felt ready, sit down talk, and when they felt ready lift again.

Deadlift training should be approached a little differently, at least i do, one rep calculatores don't work, rest is a little different, some people can't even do it every week. I also don't think sets of more than 5 are all that useful.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.72%

Quote Originally Posted by GoHardOrGoHme View Post
    So I've been deadlifting for little over a year now and depending on the routine i see different rest periods. So far what seems to work best for me resting from 5-10 minutes even up to 15 when going heavy deadlift. What i have noticed is that I get the most gains when i hit fewer reps, higher weight, longer rest.

Now is this because im still relatively new to deadlift or making sure you rest properly between sets the way to really boost your deadlift?

The rest of my back lifts i dont need to rest as much (i.e. bent over row, pull down, pull up, seated row etc).

Some advice for this newbie?
    When I work out on cycle or of cycle I always do the 5x5 routine. When it comes to deadlifts I do five sets of five and rest about a minute between sets. Never been a problem been doing it for 3 years. And I keep the weight the same throughout all sets performed. Rarely I drop about 20 lbs on my last set if really tired.

One more thing when performing sets the interval rest period if you want to get big should be in between 50-60 secs. You want to take advantage of the trophic state your muscle is in without leting it go to waste. If your looking for strenth training then waiting 2 minutes in between sets would be the way to go.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.06%

i have been deadlifting for about 4 months and have manged to get my dl to 545lbs i max out rest 10-15 min then do 1-2 sets of 3-5 reps 1 a week or every other week
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

deadlifting took an hour today, finished thew workout with 495 plus 120 lbs of chain for 3, then decided to go to 495 plus 160 lbs of chain for a double. Probalby took 15 minutes between sets.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.72%

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    deadlifting took an hour today, finished thew workout with 495 plus 120 lbs of chain for 3, then decided to go to 495 plus 160 lbs of chain for a double. Probalby took 15 minutes between sets.

Thats something out of my league. I just noticed this thread is in the strongman section. Im just a harcore lifter whos trying to get bigger lean muscles and burn fat. My bad
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift3 View Post
    Thats something out of my league. I just noticed this thread is in the strongman section. Im just a harcore lifter whos trying to get bigger lean muscles and burn fat. My bad
    building muscle is more so in your diet than in your training.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Quote Originally Posted by stullsy View Post
    This is why people train like crap today because for some reason this has been pushed down peoples throats for the last 10-15years.

I read posts on here about young guys so worried about the exact number of calories they take in and what supplement stack they are using, but the training boards go completely under used. God forbid you question them on something, you get the old "i know what i am doing" The truth is if you put most posters in a button down shirt and pants you would probably not be able to tell they even lift weights. Some of the most muscled guys i know at the gym just eat like regular people, but somehow they have managed to get big as f*ck over the years.

Now you are not going to reach potential in strength or aesthetics without proper nutrition but i would not say it is more important than training. The biggest guys lift the most usually, have put in a decade or so minimum under the bar, and are consistent week in week out, month in month out, year in year out.

A great diet and flys and pushdowns is not going to do sh@t for you.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.34%

jcp2 thats how i think too. Im no pro but I think if you eat healthy and enough, and train as hard as you can you should be pretty good. If I gain some unwanted fat I simply run it off.
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Quote Originally Posted by jrhutton View Post
    jcp2 thats how i think too. Im no pro but I think if you eat healthy and enough, and train as hard as you can you should be pretty good. If I gain some unwanted fat I simply run it off.
    With some dedication most can ripped in 12 weeks which is a pretty short amount of time when you look at how long it actually takes someone to get big.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.03%

With some dedication most can ripped in 12 weeks which is a pretty short amount of time when you look at how long it actually takes someone to get big.
    Exactly. It's alot harder to build 20 lbs. of muscle than it is to lose 20 lbs. of fat. Yet everyone seems to want to try and get bigger and stay super-ripped at the same time.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

This is why people train like crap today because for some reason this has been pushed down peoples throats for the last 10-15years.

I read posts on here about young guys so worried about the exact number of calories they take in and what supplement stack they are using, but the training boards go completely under used. God forbid you question them on something, you get the old "i know what i am doing" The truth is if you put most posters in a button down shirt and pants you would probably not be able to tell they even lift weights. Some of the most muscled guys i know at the gym just eat like regular people, but somehow they have managed to get big as f*ck over the years.

Now you are not going to reach potential in strength or aesthetics without proper nutrition but i would not say it is more important than training. The biggest guys lift the most usually, have put in a decade or so minimum under the bar, and are consistent week in week out, month in month out, year in year out.

alright keep powerlifting and eat only 2500 calories a day, and tell me how much mass you put on in 6 months
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.03%

alright keep powerlifting and eat only 2500 calories a day, and tell me how much mass you put on in 6 months
    Almost no large powerlifter only eats 2500 calories a day. Most of them train well and simply eat more of the regular foods that almost everyone else does. What most don't do is micromanage every little detail of everything they eat.
    I think the point is that it doesn't matter if you eat 5-6 times a day instead of 3-4 or if you get 200g of protein or 250g if your training program sucks. What 99% of people need to do is train properly and simply eat more if they aren't gaining size.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Almost no large powerlifter only eats 2500 calories a day. Most of them train well and simply eat more of the regular foods that almost everyone else does. What most don't do is micromanage every little detail of everything they eat.
    I think the point is that it doesn't matter if you eat 5-6 times a day instead of 3-4 or if you get 200g of protein or 250g if your training program sucks. What 99% of people need to do is train properly and simply eat more if they aren't gaining size.
    thats kind of what i meant when i said what i said and if you wanna put on size your gonna have to eat more than 3-4 times a day
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

thats kind of what i meant when i said what i said and if you wanna put on size your gonna have to eat more than 3-4 times a day
    I know alot of guys who only eat 3-4 times a day and have gained quite well. Not everyone with thier work schedule can just stop and eat whenever they feel the need. I think you would be surprised at just how many people truly don't follow what everyone feels is a "must do". **** my training partner would be awesome if he would eat 4x a day.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

I know alot of guys who only eat 3-4 times a day and have gained quite well. Not everyone with thier work schedule can just stop and eat whenever they feel the need. I think you would be surprised at just how many people truly don't follow what everyone feels is a "must do". **** my training partner would be awesome if he would eat 4x a day.
    my point exactly.

i tell ya what, just eat once in the morning and once before you go to bed and drink beer through the middle of the day, it will work, trust me you'll end up looking like ronnie coleman
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

my point exactly.

i tell ya what, just eat once in the morning and once before you go to bed and drink beer through the middle of the day, it will work, trust me you'll end up looking like ronnie coleman
    You said to put on size you have to eat more than 3-4 times a day. I said, my partner would be awesome if he would eat 4x a day, he eats 2x a day and is around a 350 comp raw bencher at 165. I have no clue what you are even saying at this point. Now you are talking about eating twice a day and beer. Your story is all over the place.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

You said to put on size you have to eat more than 3-4 times a day. I said, my partner would be awesome if he would eat 4x a day, he eats 2x a day and is around a 350 comp raw bencher at 165. I have no clue what you are even saying at this point. Now you are talking about eating twice a day and beer. Your story is all over the place.
    Its called sarcasm.

Yeah, hes 165 lbs. Thats great he can bench press 350, hes still 165 lbs. Hmmm, i wonder why hes 165 lbs??????
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.41%

If your total calories eaten in the day exceed the total calories expended in the day you will gain weight no matter if you eat 2 a day or 10 times a day. However it may not be the best weight gain. Timing of meals before and after a workout will enhance your muscular gains. Many people because of work and family can't eat 5 times a day... just not possible.
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

Its called sarcasm.

Yeah, hes 165 lbs. Thats great he can bench press 350, hes still 165 lbs. Hmmm, i wonder why hes 165 lbs??????
    Because he wants to be, it is his weight class so he stays their. He is more competitive thier. Maybe you dont' get actually competing, or weight classes, this is a powerlifting forum correct?
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.72%

Right on JCp you gota lift hard, eat big and rest long and your sure to see results. Training is just as important as resting or eating.
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

my reply towards this. And your reply was somewhere on the lines of this is shoved down everyones throat and it is wrong
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.33%

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift3 View Post
    sorry, it was my reply towards this
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.72%

my reply towards this. And your reply was somewhere on the lines of this is shoved down everyones throat and it is wrong

LMAO! I see where your coming from dude your right if you wana get big you gota eat 4-5 daily. And keeping in mind that you gota rest and lift hard too!
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%

You can eat in surplus all you want, if you train like a *****, like most people, you will never ever gain much past the initial little bit from being completely untrained. You will just be a chubby guy who goes to the gym. We have quite a few of them.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  184 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.72%

You can eat in surplus all you want, if you train like a *****, like most people, you will never ever gain much past the initial little bit from being completely untrained. You will just be a chubby guy who goes to the gym. We have quite a few of them.

Oh yeah Ive seen those. I personally train like a beast in the gym pushing myself to the limit. On cycle it was even more intense with vein popping work outs. My girlfriends cuzin is a short little dude about 5 7-8". I Was cracking up the day I saw him do his arm workout. The dude is not fat nor big but he swares hes strong and muscular. He was curling two 5lb weights in the little curl bar. It wasnt even the regular long 45 lb bar. Come on I usually curl on my first set 40 lbs on each side of the curl bar. And in the long 45 lb bar at least 30 in each side. I was reading one day in a article that if you want to get big you gota lift hard heavy weights preferably the highest you can possible (while maintaining good form) and low in low repititions. Those people who lift weights and say "Im going to do low weights high reps in order to get cut" are full of it. This is proven in tests performed by doctors. You might as well stick to cardio if you want to get cut. Because you aint doing nothing lifting like a *****. You gota lift hard eat big and rest alot.
  29. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.92%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

i leave for a couple of days and the wall goes from great to amazing.....~note to self:check AM every day!~

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fish Oil. Period.
    By madds87 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM
  2. Period question
    By wrestler4life in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 03:23 AM
  3. Rest period between HIT
    By nelix in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2