1. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Deadlift Suit Discussion

So has anyone on here ever tried using a deadlift suit for a conventional pull? I am going to switch back to conventional for a little while because my sumo pull is just to hit or miss and I am looking for opinions on different suits. Right now I currently use a Metal IPF King v-type for sumo pulling and although I like the pop off of the ground I always find myself getting into a horrible pulling position. At my last meet I missed my opener of 500lbs because the suit threw me forward, but after that I took my next two attempts with the straps down and ended up pulling 550.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.55%

I've had good luck with the Metal pro deadlifter. You do have to make sure it's not too tight or you won't be able to get down to the bar in good position. It will also take some practice getting down in good position.
  3. AsylumLifter

I highly recommend the Metal DL suits for conventional pulling. I think the name is Metal King Pro or something, it has the adjustable straps. I can definitely tell a difference when lifting raw and with suit.
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.45%

Quote Originally Posted by AsylumLifter View Post
    I highly recommend the Metal DL suits for conventional pulling. I think the name is Metal King Pro or something, it has the adjustable straps. I can definitely tell a difference when lifting raw and with suit.
    Yeah, I have heard pretty good things about Metal's DL suits. Are you getting substantial carryover or a just a little pop out of the bottom?
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.55%

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Yeah, I have heard pretty good things about Metal's DL suits. Are you getting substantial carryover or a just a little pop out of the bottom?
    I think your carryover is largely dictated by where your weak area of the lift is. My problem has always been from the floor to the knees and I was able to get 50-80# out of DL suit. I've seen others who miss their lifts at the top not get much out of a suit. It also depends on how well you are able to load up the suit and stay in good position.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.45%

Yeah, I usually miss right below the knees but rarely do I miss if Im in a good pulling position. I am switching back to conventional because whenever I would pull sumo in my suit I would not be able to sit back or I would lose my balance.
  7. AsylumLifter

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    I am very good off the floor with our w/o a suit. I can get just about anything(within reason) off the floor and it its too much I typically fail around the knee area. With the suit I get a little bit more velocity with the bar that helps to carry me through my sticking point(knee area) and in to the easy hip thrust area. I have not maxed on DL without my suit in quite a while, but I would guess I good for about 725-745, and I have done a suited 760 without a hitch and 800 with a hitch.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.99%

The metal pro is all i have worn, i don't usually use it unless i am pulling singles before a meet so i don't know my carryover. but i will say if you are having trouble getting to the bar pull the legs up in the front. I have found it to be useful more so that i can pull singles out from a meet and not get really beat up.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  181 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.03%

Honestly, I always liked my inzer suits. Last comp I pulled 535 at 178 bodyweight (cut for the 181's and over shot it a bit) with all white lights. But the suit gave me a nice little pop w/out throwing me too off kilter. I DL with a strict conventional stance, too.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.83%

I prefer briefs for deadlifting. I get bugger all out of equipment on the conventional stance deadlift in terms of kg. What it does give me is the confidence, if i can pull the same weight RAW then im definitely gonna make it in briefs, if you get me. I use a pair of loose METAL Pro briefs. I've just received a pair of tighter briefs so perhaps it may give me a pop but i can't see an increase of anymore then 5kg.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%

The form is whats important and using power breaths in rythem withe heavy weights
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

P...
    Take a look at my TRX. It was extremely hard to pull conventional in it, as I often do. I went for more of a hybrid stance with decent luck. The pop off of the bottom was unreal but the mid tapered and the top was 99% raw. Quite interesting. This was my first day in lower gear.
    YouTube - Casey Bard - USPlabs Six-Pack Stack Week 2 Deadlift 545x1
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.99%

casey, i believe John Bernor pulls with a hybrid stance in that suit. I know he did last i saw and talked to him. He thought it was excellent for it.
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.45%

I was using a hybrid type pull myself but I had a lot of balance issues with it. I am sure I will come back to it eventually but I have been pulling conventional lately just because I am a lot more consistent that way. Also I think squats build up your sumo/ wider stance pulls enough that training your pull conventional is going to increase your strength for pulling more so than sumo pulling would (I hope that made sense ). Your getting to be a pretty big gear wh@re huh
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

haha i havnt touched gear since my trip to Adirondack barbell... ouch.
    \\ USPlabs Alpha Ginger //
  16. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.45%

Quote Originally Posted by borobulker View Post
    haha i havnt touched gear since my trip to Adirondack barbell... ouch.
    My bad, I just thought you were joining the club lol.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift discussion
    By fritzer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 07:53 PM
  2. Pro Power Suit
    By pizzathehut in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
  3. new squat suit
    By Beelzebub in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 2