bench shirt question???

  1. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    214
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    61.18%

    bench shirt question???


    i have been strictly a raw lifter and just bought a bench shirt b/c my bench is getting up into the weight to were i dont wanna risk injury but i wanna keep increasing my bench.

    i recently bought a inzer heavy duty closed back bench shirt and tried it out today and im actually benching less with the shirt than i am without it.

    is this just me needing to get the groove and wear the shirt in first or am i maybe putting it on wrong or something?

    i get hellish power from the bottom but halfway through and near ******* it becomes harder.

  2. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,508
    Rep Power
    1097385
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.5%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    it will take time to get into the normal groove with the shirt. Once you, you will notice fairly solid movement in weight
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  3. Professional Member
    pmiller383's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,005
    Rep Power
    2671
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Your grove and set up are probably off, and if you having trouble with the lock out you may be getting yourself way out of position. Some people may disagree with this but you might want to try working down on boards to learn the groove and break in the shirt. Also make sure the shirt is fully seated and staying in place during the press.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.38%

    It's tough to tell without seeing some video. One problem may be that you are not pushing hard enough out of the bottom. It's easy to kind of let the shirt get the weight started and then try to take over part of the way up. This usually leads to stalling in the mid-range. I did this for years in the shirt until I started consciously thinking to "fire your triceps" from the very bottom of the movement.
  5. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    214
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    61.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Your grove and set up are probably off, and if you having trouble with the lock out you may be getting yourself way out of position. Some people may disagree with this but you might want to try working down on boards to learn the groove and break in the shirt. Also make sure the shirt is fully seated and staying in place during the press.
    well it feels like i cant get enough tension in my lats and traps b/c the shirt is so tight. when i bring the weight down i try to tuck my elbows but its like the shirt doesnt want me to.
  6. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    332
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    14.38%

    Quote Originally Posted by stullsy View Post
    well it feels like i cant get enough tension in my lats and traps b/c the shirt is so tight. when i bring the weight down i try to tuck my elbows but its like the shirt doesnt want me to.
    Sounds like you need more upper back and lat work to keep your shoulders and back in good position in the shirt. I've seen this before with people who haven't used a shirt before. The shirt wants to pull your shoulders forward and you have to keep them pulled back. Think about pushing yourself up to meet the bar instead of letting the bar come down. This may help keep you in better position.
  7. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    214
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    61.18%

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Sounds like you need more upper back and lat work to keep your shoulders and back in good position in the shirt. I've seen this before with people who haven't used a shirt before. The shirt wants to pull your shoulders forward and you have to keep them pulled back. Think about pushing yourself up to meet the bar instead of letting the bar come down. This may help keep you in better position.
    ok, thanks for the suggestions, ill try to remember about the pushing yourself up to meet the bar thing.

    I tell ya what I use to bash bench shirts and thought that dudes only used them b.c it made their bench about 100-200 lbs heavier, but i gotta say there is more science and form to it using a shirt than not using one.
  8. New Member
    Chubbie's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    83
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    78.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by pmiller383 View Post
    Your grove and set up are probably off, and if you having trouble with the lock out you may be getting yourself way out of position. Some people may disagree with this but you might want to try working down on boards to learn the groove and break in the shirt. Also make sure the shirt is fully seated and staying in place during the press.
    This is exactly what I did and it help me. I also used reverse band presses, both raw and shirted, to help learn my groove. Board work is a must for shirted pressing in my opinion.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Bench Shirt
    By Swift in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
  2. Bench Shirt Query
    By nathan meyer in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 12:50 AM
  3. Bench Shirt Training
    By 2475 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
  4. Best bench shirt
    By jaybigboy34 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 02:57 PM
  5. bench shirt (not a typical question about them)
    By cpa5oh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in