how often to do rack pulls? - AnabolicMinds.com

how often to do rack pulls?

  1. New Member
    underdog13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  130 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    how often to do rack pulls?


    how often should i do rack pulls? im really trying to focus on my weak points which seems to be my entire back. sometimes lifting feels really heavy for my back and i have trouble getting much past my knee whereas i know my grip would take it. so frustrating!

  2. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Are you trying to improve your deadlift, or improve your back?
  3. New Member
    underdog13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  130 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    77

    Reputation

    improve deadlift strength
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,380
    Rep Power
    956429

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I usually do them once a week, and my other back day I focus more on deads. Might seem like overkill at times, and if so, I would alter and do RP's every other week
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  5. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by underdog13 View Post
    improve deadlift strength
    I personally would not do rack deads to improve the deadlift. I never felt they helped much. If you want to overload the top use accomadating resistance (bands chains). You also should work on your glutes and hams and hips. The back is really not involved all that much with locking out deads, it has more to do with getting your hips through and flexing your glutes. Granted your back should not be week. It is a shame everyone does not have access to a reverse hyper because it is probably the greatest deadlift accessory. You may want to read up on Dimmel deadlifts, they can help you learn to really get your hips throug and flexing the gluetes.
  6. Advanced Member
    CJPopovich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    427

    Reputation

    I agree with jcp2. Rack deads never did much for me except make me sore and maybe better at rack deadlifts. If you need to fix a lockout issue, pulling against bands/chains is the way to go.

    I had a terrible lockout for a long time, and the best thing I ever did for my lockout was to work on hip flexor stretching and get my quads a little looser. It made a giant difference in my overall deadlifting ability.
  7. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    329

    Reputation

    At your level, don't worry too much about rack pulls. You simply need to get stronger at the basic lifts (SQ, DL, BP, overhead press, rows). You can deadlift once a week, doing 1-5 reps per set. Again don't work up to an absolute max, simply get some good quality "heavy" reps (whatever weight is heavy for you). Do some back raises or something similar for higher reps and do some heavy ab work. About 90% of the time I've seen people having lockout issues with the DL, it's because they get rounded over and are in such poor position by the time the bar gets past the knees they have no chance to finish the lift.
    Don't worry too much about weak points at this time. Everything needs to get stronger. You also need to make sure your technique is good and you should always seek to improve it.
  8. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    im not really a fan of them tried them and can do way less on rack pulls then regular DL...if ur getting stuck at the bottom of the deadlift its too heavy.. if ur getting stuck at lockouts id do heavy ass shrugs on the barbell. and practicing just holding heavy weight for ur grip. if ur getting stuck above mid way to good mornings heavy and maybe to a ORM..

    and i think if u can effectively use the bonce in ur deadlifts it would help alot... if ur repping from a cold stop do that and as u feel urself about to be burned out start using a little bonce.. That way it forces out more reps which will make u more powerfull for a ORM.
  9. Diamond Member
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,014
    Rep Power
    33557

    Reputation
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    im not really a fan of them tried them and can do way less on rack pulls then regular DL...if ur getting stuck at the bottom of the deadlift its too heavy.. if ur getting stuck at lockouts id do heavy ass shrugs on the barbell. and practicing just holding heavy weight for ur grip. if ur getting stuck above mid way to good mornings heavy and maybe to a ORM..

    and i think if u can effectively use the bonce in ur deadlifts it would help alot... if ur repping from a cold stop do that and as u feel urself about to be burned out start using a little bonce.. That way it forces out more reps which will make u more powerfull for a ORM.
    I don't think shrugs have any carryover to a deadlift, atually some really good deadliters look like they are at the bottom of a shrug when their deadlift is completed. You really don't need to do that overexagerated lean back and shrug the bar up at the end that is seen alot in the gym, in all reality if you ever want to compete that causes you to unock your knees and could cuase a redlight, and i would never bounce a deadlift, you are asking to get hurt. The deadlift is a lift from a dead stop. If you don't want to reset you can touch and go them, but i still would not bounce at all.
  11. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    i meant more of a touch and go. not a stop and go, actually i read a couple articles saying starting the deadlift from a complete stop causes injuries if ur doing them for reps..

    and i meant shrugs would help with pure grip strength. personally thats a problem for me i get it off the ground and to lockout but when im locking out it feels like the bar is slipping out my hand so i use heavy shrugs to get use to holding heavy weight.
  12. Advanced Member
    CJPopovich's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    696
    Rep Power
    427

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    i meant more of a touch and go. not a stop and go, actually i read a couple articles saying starting the deadlift from a complete stop causes injuries if ur doing them for reps..
    Doing deads for reps from a stop will not cause an injury unless you let your form slip.

    Doing deads for reps using touch and go has been beneficial particularly to those who are weak at the lockout, IF they have been mostly doing their pulls from a dead stop. I wouldn't do it all the time though.
  13. Advanced Member
    jcp2's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    862
    Rep Power
    575

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by CJPopovich View Post
    Doing deads for reps from a stop will not cause an injury unless you let your form slip.

    Doing deads for reps using touch and go has been beneficial particularly to those who are weak at the lockout, IF they have been mostly doing their pulls from a dead stop. I wouldn't do it all the time though.
    I can see touch and go working here, but i would still opt for accomadating resistance. That is me though, everyone has their own way of doing things.
  14. Senior Member
    buster0371's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    986

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    At your level, don't worry too much about rack pulls. You simply need to get stronger at the basic lifts (SQ, DL, BP, overhead press, rows). You can deadlift once a week, doing 1-5 reps per set. Again don't work up to an absolute max, simply get some good quality "heavy" reps (whatever weight is heavy for you). Do some back raises or something similar for higher reps and do some heavy ab work. About 90% of the time I've seen people having lockout issues with the DL, it's because they get rounded over and are in such poor position by the time the bar gets past the knees they have no chance to finish the lift.
    Don't worry too much about weak points at this time. Everything needs to get stronger. You also need to make sure your technique is good and you should always seek to improve it.
    thats messed up, "at your level" what are you trying to say? hmmmm.....
  15. Senior Member
    brownstown89's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    1091

    Reputation

    yea i deffinelty feel touch and go helps u from below knee caps and up... and hows that messed up? hes just saying when ur not putting up above average numbers u can get by with what ur doing i wouldnt start worrying bout rack pulls till i was pulling like 450+ i wouldnt bench with chains bands etc till i max 315 regularly.
  16. Professional Member
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Rep Power
    23616

    Reputation

    personally, what has helped me deadlift strong has been rows and squats. My deads about up to 500 and i hardly ever even do deads anymore, and im a tiny guy. Heavy squats help the glutes and hams out to get that lockout and the rows helps with back and keeping it strong through the lift.
  17. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    329

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    thats messed up, "at your level" what are you trying to say? hmmmm.....
    The OP is listed at 130 lbs. and sounds like a relative beginner. I don't think rack pulls are the best way to build his DL. My best pull is 675 and rack pulls don't seem to help me much either. I still need to work on pulling from the floor and doing assistance work for the low back, glutes, and hamstrings. Sorry if you took my original statement as somehow offensive.
  18. New Member
    stullsy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    291
    Rep Power
    211

    Reputation

    dont know your training routine. but as once said hip flexor weakness is the main cause of a stalled deadlift at your knees. where as rack pulls and heavy shrugs work the lockout at the top. id suggest using good mornings and walking lunges as assistance work. and oh yeah work on your squat, my deadlift always seemed to be better when my squat was strong.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. rack pulls or full deads on back day?
    By aztec02 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
  2. Proper form for rack pulls?
    By b9cist in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM
  4. Rack Pulls
    By MrTotality in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
  5. Pulls Out His Own Heart !!!
    By anabolicrhino in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 12:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in