investing in knee wraps

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
hey guys I am running a 5x5 routine currently. it's in my sig if any are interested in following. Anyways, my squat weigh I am working out with uppper 200's and middle to upper 300's 3 times a week... what weight would you all recommend getting knee wraps?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
to me it depends on your comfort level with the weight, and if you have had difficulty with your knees previously. I have seen some smaller guys barely breaking 225lbs on squats using them, and others around 500lbs not using them. Very subjective IMO

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
well they ache sometimes. but I occasionally have kneww pains in the bottom inner side of my knee cap. I think it is because this program calls for squats so frequently. I was thinking about just grabbing a knee brace to offer some support... but I don't know what everyone recommends between the two

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I would try knee sleeves before you go with wraps. They keep the joints warm and protect them without being too restrictive. I think Inzer sell them Are you training to compete in powerlifting?I only use them for heavy singles, doubles and triples. I don't think i go heavy enough on my 5 rep sets to warrant using them, and trust me, if someone strong wraps them on you you won't want to have them on for 5 reps as the pain can take some getting used to!

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I would try knee sleeves before you go with wraps. They keep the joints warm and protect them without being too restrictive. I think Inzer sell them Are you training to compete in powerlifting?I only use them for heavy singles, doubles and triples. I don't think i go heavy enough on my 5 rep sets to warrant using them, and trust me, if someone strong wraps them on you you won't want to have them on for 5 reps as the pain can take some getting used to!
That, and you feet fall asleep eventually :laugh:

SOLRAC

SOLRAC

Awards
well they ache sometimes. but I occasionally have kneww pains in the bottom inner side of my knee cap. I think it is because this program calls for squats so frequently. I was thinking about just grabbing a knee brace to offer some support... but I don't know what everyone recommends between the two
If it starts to hurt thats a warning sign. Dorian Yates, previous Mr. Olympia said if it hurts you're lifting too much weight. I try to live by that, although I go pretty heavy also, but normally only 1 heavy set on leg press/hack squats (gave up squats because of the pressure on my knees), followed by sets of 8-12. For me a heavy set is 6 - 8 reps, I try to avoid anything lower than that.

I did the Max OT program for a year, and got very strong, but at a price. Anyway getting a little off topic. Before going to knee support/wrap I would invest in wearing boots, anything that will stabilize the ankles. I never do legs without them. Great stability in doing any kind of heavy pressing, squatting movements. You really feel the difference.

Spankyswrekd

Awards
I just tried knee wraps too see if they would make a difference. I didnt like the way they felt and I found myself concentrating on that instead of my lifting. I have never used them and I think my knees have evolved and kept up with everything else so I dont see a need. It seems people that use them for every set will always have to use them. I find the same is true with straps and weight belts.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Tex,
Check out the Knee Sleeves that APT sells, they are pretty solid and reasonably priced. Like some of the guys already said, for knee wraps to be effective they are not at all comfortable and take a lot of getting use to. Are you free squatting or box Squatting? Do you have a video of you squatting? My guess would either be that you are not sitting back but rather going straight down and breaking at the knees first OR you need to strengthen your VMO by doing some Terminal Knee extensions.

ILiftBig

Awards
hey guys I am running a 5x5 routine currently. it's in my sig if any are interested in following. Anyways, my squat weigh I am working out with uppper 200's and middle to upper 300's 3 times a week... what weight would you all recommend getting knee wraps?
Here is my experience in training in supportive gear practically since it was invented. The gear, knee wraps in this case, enable you to train with heavier weight. This means you are also going to work the muscle much harder. If you have ever seen any of Ronnie Coleman's videos on training the squat, he uses a lifting suit and knee wraps on his heaviest sets on his power days. Now grantedd what is heavy for Coleman and what is heavy for you is relative. If you are doing ~250 - 300 for 5, that is heavy for YOU. I would invest in some knee wraps and use them in your sets of 5 anyway. You will be surprised at how much quicker your PR's go up. Try the Inzer. Here are Inzer's recommendations for which wrap to buy:

When your goal is:

Powerlifting

Intense competition Powerlifting: IronWraps-Z, 2.0 meter length, True Black Wraps 2.0 meter.

Pro-Level Powerlifting: IronWraps-Z, 2.5 meter length, True Black Wraps, 2.5 meter.

Competition Powerlifting, beginning to moderate level: Power-Surge Red Line

Bodybuilding, Fitness and Weightlifting

Heavy training and overload work: IronWraps-Z, 2.0 length. True Black Wraps, 2 meter.

High repetition sets, comfort support, and various leg work: Power-Surge Red Line

Strength Training and all Sports

Heavy overload training for all sports: IronWraps-Z, 2.0 meter length.
True Black Wraps, 2 meter.

Endurance sports: 1. Knee Sleeves XT. 2. Power-Surge Red Line

High repetition work, various leg work, cardio: 1. Power-Surge Red Line,
2. Knee Sleeves XT

Adventure sports, Xtreme sports, motor sports: Knee Sleeves XT

Strongman competition

Most strongman events: Knee Sleeves XT

Strongman deadlift: Knee Sleeves XT

Various squat events: IronWraps-Z, 2.5 meter length. (can cut length to suit yourself)
True Black Wraps 2.5 meter. (can cut length to suit yourself)

Physical Rehabilitation

Mobility training: Knee Sleeves XT

Reduce/control joint swelling: Power-Surge Red Line

Weight training: 1. Power-Surge Red Line. 2. IronWrapsZ, 2.0 meter
True Black Wraps, 2 meter.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
If you are 'thinking' of buying them then you probably should or will need to in the near future. Only you can tell if you think your body needs them. I don't necessarily think there's a percentage of weight to lift with straps vs not. Comfort and safety is key when it comes down to it. I have a set of Inzer everything - shirt, squat pants, wrist wraps and knee wraps. All quality stuff and well worth it.

Beefcaker

Awards
Yeah I agree with the above post. If you THINK you may need it, just go ahead and get it and try it out. It's better than making your knees worse than they are (if they're bad already):dl:

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
My old man swore by em, i am also running a 5x5 right now and considering getting them. Its probably a good idea, but i like the sleeve idea, as opposed to the wraps.

SOLRAC

SOLRAC

Awards
Just used my 1st set of knee bands ever today. Tommy Kono sleeves...work great! Squatted 495 for 12X10, and 2 descending sets, Vert leg press 1080 for 10, 3 descending sets. Felt great, no soreness afterwards, very satisifed for 1st time. I am amazed at how tight these sleeves are, hopefully they'll last.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
IMO, they shouldn't really be necessary. Unless you've had prior medical diagnoses regarding knee health, the aches and pains you have are potentially just being caused by improper form.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
As far as anything i have ever read they may make the knee temporarily feel better but they do not help in preventing knee injury or "wear and tear". Powerlifters wear them becuase the get weight out of them. I am not the best squat critiquer, but i would assume that if i saw a vid of you squatting your knees flare quiete a bit over you feet. Try squatting with a little wider stance, toes pointed outward slightly and pushing your knees out a touch when you go down. This style of squatting should take some pressure off your knees. If you can post a vid.

Knee sleeves are bit difference, they are going to keep the area worm and supportive, but I have also never really seen evidence that they help prevent any knee problems. But i doubt you should be having joint problems with the amount of weight you are using.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
Just used my 1st set of knee bands ever today. Tommy Kono sleeves...work great! Squatted 495 for 12X10, and 2 descending sets, Vert leg press 1080 for 10, 3 descending sets. Felt great, no soreness afterwards, very satisifed for 1st time. I am amazed at how tight these sleeves are, hopefully they'll last.
I have a set of these, they do keep the knee warm, mine fell apart quickly though. Next set i get i will get the Rehbands. Nice squatting.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
As far as anything i have ever read they may make the knee temporarily feel better but they do not help in preventing knee injury or "wear and tear". Powerlifters wear them becuase the get weight out of them. I am not the best squat critiquer, but i would assume that if i saw a vid of you squatting your knees flare quiete a bit over you feet. Try squatting with a little wider stance, toes pointed outward slightly and pushing your knees out a touch when you go down. This style of squatting should take some pressure off your knees. If you can post a vid.

Knee sleeves are bit difference, they are going to keep the area worm and supportive, but I have also never really seen evidence that they help prevent any knee problems. But i doubt you should be having joint problems with the amount of weight you are using.
I think 3 times a week was just too much for me. I have dropped it down to 1-2 times a week and I feel alot better. Also using upper 300's now which is nice for me.

jcp2

Awards
  • Established
I think 3 times a week was just too much for me. I have dropped it down to 1-2 times a week and I feel alot better. Also using upper 300's now which is nice for me.
If you are going to get something though, go with sleeves. Knee wraps are powerlifting equipment designed to give an advantage, meaning comp tight inzer wraps will give someone 30-50 lbs on thier squat. Hope some of this helps. The Tommy Konos are good, the rehbands are more expensive but better.

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
most people have problems with the knees caving in, usually do to weeak hip abductors and flexors. I found for myself that a slightly wider stance worked well, but good stretching and hip work are pretty important especially when squatting heavier, just my opinion.

NJbreed

Awards
  • Established
the best wraps on the market (HANDS DOWN!) are made my apt prowriststraps ive been using them for years. superior quality to everything else =)
but how I pick a good lenght? im 5'11

i wanted the blue mamba with velrco

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I feel like wraps are not the best option for non-competitive lifters, they give a false sense of security, sometimes contributing to injury. Same reason I dont use a belt, if it cant be accomplished without pain, most likely somthing is wrong, form/too much weight etc.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just recently squatted 405 cleanly after having my knee reconstructed with a 6hr surgery 2 years ago.

So it REALLY depends on your level of technique and strength. Make sure to try to spread the floor with your feet and force your knees OUT.

You may not be sitting back far enough causing your knees to travel over your feet, putting the fulcrum of tension in your knees instead of ham/quad.

I'd check your form first, check out some good sites like westside-barbell.com or elitefts.com , read articles and youtube forms.

I did invest in some knee sleeves just because I'll always be nervous going heavy on my knee.

Hope this helps TL!

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
but how I pick a good lenght? im 5'11

i wanted the blue mamba with velrco
the longer the better. the longer they are they more times you get to wrap around your knees which results in more support and results in an improved weight performance. (i use the black mamaba 3 meter and sometimes 2 meter). PM me if you have any questions. also you can email the owner of the page (Alan) and he will suggest you something based on your needs/preferences.