Reducing prolactin - Cabergoline vs B6 vs Vitex

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%

Reducing prolactin - Cabergoline vs B6 vs Vitex

To my understanding, cabergoline, B6, and vitex all affect prolactin through different pathways. Cab does it by blocking d2 (dopamine) receptors. How does B6 and vitex do it?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.1%

would be interested in knowing this also.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.41%

bump.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%

Here's an excerpt from an article I found today.

The hypothalamus controls prolactin primarily through inhibition, not stimulation, and prolactin will rise abnormally if it is not properly controlled. Dopamine is the 'prolactin-inhibiting factor'. B6 reduces prolactin levels through stimulation of dopamine production. (USP's Powerfull also does this) Magnesium is also necessary for dopamine synthesis... Zinc may also suppress prolactin levels.... Hypoglycemia is a potent stimulus for prolactin release.

It also said that you can lower your dose of B6 by adding some magnesium.

I'm still not sure how vitex affects prolactin, but I'm still digging for info.
    Last edited by The_Reverend; 11-21-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: -mispelling-
  5. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

Quote Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
    To my understanding, cabergoline, B6, and vitex all affect prolactin through different pathways. Cab does it by blocking d2 (dopamine) receptors. How does B6 and vitex do it?
    The only way to lower prolactin is by raising DOPAMINE or by a Dopamine agonist.

Deprenyl, L-DOPA, Piribedil.

Cabergoline should be avoided considered it's effects on heart damage.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by RickForce View Post

Cabergoline should be avoided considered it's effects on heart damage.
    Yea but it has a great risk vs. reward IMO and is great if there is a prolactin flare up. Cured me after 3-4 doses of 500mcg. If I remember correctly the doses that showed heart problems were much higher than the recommended dose for prolactin control needed for bodybuilding purposes.
    Last edited by Distilled Water; 11-23-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: dose
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  7. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Yea but it has a great risk vs. reward IMO and is great if there is a prolactin flare up. Cured me after 3-4 doses of 500mcg. If I remember correctly the doses that showed heart problems were much higher than the recommended dose for prolactin control needed for bodybuilding purposes.
    But why take it if there are other dopamine agonists available that are safer?

Piribedil is a good example.
  8. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

But why take it if there are other dopamine agonists available that are safer?

Piribedil is a good example.
    The research done on cabergoline's safety was done for use as a parkinson's disease treatment. Regular dose is 2-4mg daily for parkinson's disease patients. Dose for a bodybuilder looking to control prolactin is 500mg one to three times per week.

Another commonly used dopamine agonist is bromocriptine.

I don't think trivastal is very established on the market. I couldn't even find anything about it on rxlist.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    The research done on cabergoline's safety was done for use as a parkinson's disease treatment. Regular dose is 2-4mg daily for parkinson's disease patients. Dose for a bodybuilder looking to control prolactin is 500mg one to three times per week.

I don't think trivastal is very established on the market. I couldn't even find anything about it on rxlist.
    From what I've heard, bromo isn't quite as effective as cab. What's the reasoning behind that?
  10. Recovering AXoholic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The_Reverend View Post
    From what I've heard, bromo isn't quite as effective as cab. What's the reasoning behind that?
    bromo and cab are both derivatives of the same pharmacophore (ergoline). Cab is just better.
    There's probably ergoline-based compounds better than Cab, but at the moment they're not available.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%

bromo and cab are both derivatives of the same pharmacophore (ergoline). Cab is just better.
    There's probably ergoline-based compounds better than Cab, but at the moment they're not available.
    Damn it! "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to thesinner again."
  12. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

Bromocriptine shares cabergoline's effects on damaging the heart.

Trivastal has been in the euro market for decades. I use it more as a nootropic but it's quite effective and more importantly much safer.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

There's no proof that a dose of 500mcg 2x's a week of cabergoline is unsafe. If you find somthing to state other wise I'll retract my statement.

To the same effect, if someone were to dose B6 too high, that can have an extreme negative effect of the nervous system if my memory serves me correct.
  14. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

There's no proof that a dose of 500mcg 2x's a week of cabergoline is unsafe. If you find somthing to state other wise I'll retract my statement.

To the same effect, if someone were to dose B6 too high, that can have an extreme negative effect of the nervous system if my memory serves me correct.
    Most drugs can be more safely used at lower dosing and used only twice a week. My point was Piribedil is safer in general use.

However you do have to realize there are no studies showing cabergoline is safe dosed at 500 mcg 2x week since that use is not FDA approved.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%

Most drugs can be more safely used at lower dosing and used only twice a week. My point was Piribedil is safer in general use.

However you do have to realize there are no studies showing cabergoline is safe dosed at 500 mcg 2x week since that use is not FDA approved.
    Yes I'm aware. I'm not too fimilar with Piribedil but I'll take your word and look into it.

Caber worked for me just after 3 doses
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

The employment of B6 is overlooked to often... Although there can be issues with taking to much, it IS WATER SOLUBLE, meaning that you cannot overdose per se.. the trick is to space your dosing out.

Pergolide is a great dopaminergic IMO... Bob touched on caber a bit, so I won't reitterate.

IMHO, prolactin problems can be easily avoided, therefore preventing the 'need' for said protocols.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.52%

Quote Originally Posted by RisingAgainst View Post
    The employment of B6 is overlooked to often... Although there can be issues with taking to much, it IS WATER SOLUBLE, meaning that you cannot overdose per se.. the trick is to space your dosing out.

Pergolide is a great dopaminergic IMO... Bob touched on caber a bit, so I won't reitterate.

IMHO, prolactin problems can be easily avoided, therefore preventing the 'need' for said protocols.
    I completley agree. I now use about 200-300mg/day of B6 with breakfast/lunch/dinner. So far so good. Sadly It wasn't enough for the powers of the all mighty M-1-T.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%

I completley agree. I now use about 200-300mg/day of B6 with breakfast/lunch/dinner. So far so good. Sadly It wasn't enough for the powers of the all mighty M-1-T.
    I usually dose 200mgs, 5 times daily when I have need to do so lol.
  19. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.1%

Quote Originally Posted by RisingAgainst View Post
    I usually dose 200mgs, 5 times daily when I have need to do so lol.
    I would suggest using P-5-P form of B-6 it's safer and a lower dose is equally effective.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%

I would suggest using P-5-P form of B-6 it's safer and a lower dose is equally effective.
    Although I agree, I use that form in a different manner than for it's dopaminergic properties. I dose b-vitamins orthomolecularly, so when I add in B6, I avoid the p-5-p form because I use it in a fair dose already. The 1gram dose I was referring to is 100% seperate from my normal regimen.
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.93%

can we get more on this also why does vitex help
    ~ IRON LIVERô________ *[It's just advice man, that's all it is! You can take or do whatever the FCUK you wanna do!]

Similar Forum Threads

1. Levitro vs b6
    By swollz in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
  2. Cabegoline vs B6/L-Dopa for Pheraplex
    By monsterbox in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
  3. Vitamin B6 vs. P-5-P and NERVE DAMAGE
    By pudzian2 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 8