Question about labs (never done steroids)

WGR3

Awards
Hi, I'm new...basically signed up for some help with my situation. I hope I posted in the correct forum. Before I say anything, I should make clear that I've never done any steroids or 'cycled' anything in my entire life.

I'm 28. I have had low testosterone levels I guess for years, and have always thought it was due to my weight and diet. I was confident I would get them back once I changed my lifestyle. In 2014, my tt level was 357 ng/dl, I was told I was borderline but "fine". I was a little over 300 lbs. It was only later I found out that the level was "fine" for someone 80 years old.

Around November of 2015, I began a significant change in lifestyle. I began the paleo diet (cut out sugar, gluten, dairy - stopped all of them cold turkey), drank nothing but water and green tea, started taking a number of vitamins (Omega 3, Zinc Picolinate, L-Arginine, etc.) and got a moving job in January - very labor demanding job lifting heavy items and moving around alot. Last week I weighed 248 lbs at my doctors visit. I was about 298 lbs in December of last year.

Here are my results from labs last week:

TT - 472.0 (Range 241.0 - 827.0)
LH - 8.6 (Range Males 1.5 - 36.4)
FSH - 13.4 (Range Males 1.4 - 18.1)
TSH - 1.00 (Range 0.465 - 4.680)
I also had a CBC and CMP panel.

I have done as much research as I can online about this, and am scared that my testicles are failing (primary hypo). I'm only 28, haven't had kids yet, and want to be fertile. My sexual health is not optimal at all, I can feel it. I feel out of control and unvirile. Even with some improvement (I did go from no morning wood at all when I was 300 to weak, but consistent, morning erections now) I have to do something to improve my quality of life.

I go back to the GP in 2 days to discuss my results. During our first visit, before I left, I asked him "Is it realistic is it to expect that testicular atrophy can be reversed" and he reassured me that there's always a very good chance.

Any opinions or advice would be great, I am pretty concerned about my future at this point...

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Not sure what you're so concerned about when everything in that result panel is trending in the right direction? Your hormones and fat didn't appear overnight so you can't expect it to return that fast either. These things take time and patience. Listen to your doctor, be patient, and stay the course.

WGR3

Awards
So you don't think that my LH and FSH are high? I mean, I don't really know if I understand the reference ranges the lab gave for those (LH is pretty dang wide). Why do most of the labs I have researched use an lh range of like 1.7 -9.3? Same with FSH...

I mean I really hope you're right - that I shouldn't be concerned. But I just know how I feel, and how reduced my genital size has become. It sucks just saying that.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So you don't think that my LH and FSH are high? I mean, I don't really know if I understand the reference ranges the lab gave for those (LH is pretty dang wide). Why do most of the labs I have researched use an lh range of like 1.7 -9.3? Same with FSH...

I mean I really hope you're right - that I shouldn't be concerned. But I just know how I feel, and how reduced my genital size has become. It sucks just saying that.
Think of how you feel now vs a few months ago... Better, right? Maybe not perfect, but improved. That's part of the course.

The body strives for homeostasis. It doesn't like changes and adjustment to those changes takes time. Months and years even.

Also remember, you're asking for advice from random bro's on an online forum while you (who are admittedly ignorant when it comes to hormonal issues) question your doctor (someone who studied this and gets paid to understand and advise on it for a living).

Be. Patient.

Listen to your doctor.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

They are both in normal range, how can they be too high?