Am I the only one who feels this way about Obama ?

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I feel like a lot of people are supporting Barack Obama because it is the 'trendy' thing to do.

A lot of this support is sort of like saying, 'I'm anti-Bush and at the same time I'm progressive because I support a non-white canidate'.

There was a pro-Obama stand that was handing out stuff, so I walked up to the people there and said that I wasn't sure how I wanted to vote yet and why I should vote for Barack Obama and what views did he stand for ?

First person said I should because, 'Bush sucks'.

The second person said 5 things, 4 of which Obama really dosen't support directly.

I would like to think that the majority of the people who are voting are educated, well-informed individuals, however, for some reason I feel like they are not.

pro-Obama is more of a trend vs. actual politics.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like to think that the majority of the people who are voting are educated, well-informed individuals, however, for some reason I feel like they are not.

and a racial hotbutton.

duh on the educated well informed individuals. Its just like the news anymore, its not there to impart information, its there to get people excited. no one can really tell what obama stands for so its hard for someone voting based on details to want to vote for him

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I think that is what voting is about is being educated on each canidates stances. People turn on the news and think, 'Damn those racists,I'm gonna vote Obama and show them.'

I can say this because I'm not white, but a lot of African Americans don't really know all the views on the Democratic party. They just think, 'Damn the white man' when they go in to vote (Democratic).

It is a very lame tactic and we all know racism exists, that's no secret.

Furthermore, unless you actually 'follow' politics, people just vote on a wim.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
i feel pretty much exactly how you feel about it. it's similar to the "vote or die" campaign that mtv ran in 2004....where every celebrity involved talked about how cool it is to vote democratic. i am not criticizing all obama supporters, but there are a llot of college age kids who fit your description quite well

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I feel like a lot of people are supporting Barack Obama because it is the 'trendy' thing to do.

A lot of this support is sort of like saying, 'I'm anti-Bush and at the same time I'm progressive because I support a non-white canidate'.

There was a pro-Obama stand that was handing out stuff, so I walked up to the people there and said that I wasn't sure how I wanted to vote yet and why I should vote for Barack Obama and what views did he stand for ?

The second person said 5 things, 4 of which Obama really dosen't support directly.

That's great man. I knnow exactly where you're coming from. I still think it will be interesting to see in the fall how many people actually go out and vote. It's one thing to talk about it, but another to actually do it. What is it? About 35% participation in presidential elections lately?

Arnold for Pres!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
yeah voting has a pretty poor turnout. People don't want to wait in lines b/c it is inconvient. Also too certain states (like Texas) will never be democratic, so democratic individuals have less incentive to truely vote.

Vote or die was a lame campaign in 2004. Democrats lost and P.Diddy looked more like an idiot than he already does due to ripping off songs from other artists then calling it his own.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's great man. I knnow exactly where you're coming from. I still think it will be interesting to see in the fall how many people actually go out and vote. It's one thing to talk about it, but another to actually do it. What is it? About 35% participation in presidential elections lately?

Arnold for Pres!
nah, tons will go out and vote if its obama, they will just run buses from the projects to the voting booths

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
nah, tons will go out and vote if its obama, they will just run buses from the projects to the voting booths
You laugh, but they does this often in New Orleans. They run buses to the projects and treat the voters to a chicken dinner as well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh I don't laugh, I know for sure with obama they'll have them lined up for miles

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
what I wanna know is where was this support movement during alan keyes' presidential runs? :)

btw, reaper, i like the new sig a lot

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
true, I just bet they'll get even more turnout with him.

young4life

Awards
  • Established
Made a mistake and deleted the response to post # 13. Here it is.

Uh yea I heard of them. They do that EVERY election year right? Not because Obama's running.

Sorry for the confusion.

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
Personally I think he's all talk. He also seems naive in a way. Like when he takes office everything will all the sudden be ok, which of course with the problems we're having is highly unlikely. I agree with everyone in this thread. :wave:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."
-- Winston Churchill

teribleturtle

Awards

I actually feel that Presidential elections in general have become trendy, something like a glorified, albeit smarter version of American idol. All of the major news networks are beginning to resemble the tabloids making a big deal of the most mundane and irrelevant issues related to a candidate. The candidates themselves stand on so called "platforms" that are so vague that they can almost resemble anything. The elections have become nothing more than popularity contests. But then again voter participation is so low in the U.S. that if the elections and campaigns became "smarter" or more "intellectual" and focused on real issues and policies, the masses would likely see it as boring and be even less inclined to vote.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
He gave a speech awhile back that got compared to Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech.

Lame.

Combo it with the race card, and you have an unbeatable royal flush.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I actually feel that Presidential elections in general have become trendy, something like a glorified, albeit smarter version of American idol. All of the major news networks are beginning to resemble the tabloids making a big deal of the most mundane and irrelevant issues related to a candidate. The candidates themselves stand on so called "platforms" that are so vague that they can almost resemble anything. The elections have become nothing more than popularity contests. But then again voter participation is so low in the U.S. that if the elections and campaigns became "smarter" or more "intellectual" and focused on real issues and policies, the masses would likely see it as boring and be even less inclined to vote.

I agree, and the canidates will do whatever they want once they are elected, despite it deviating from their original stance.

Majority of individuals though do not even know what the canidates are 'claiming' at all.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I actually feel that Presidential elections in general have become trendy, something like a glorified, albeit smarter version of American idol. All of the major news networks are beginning to resemble the tabloids making a big deal of the most mundane and irrelevant issues related to a candidate.
its also a problem with our media in general. Their success or failure isn't based on their truths or quality of reporting, its by advertising they sell. The more people watch them the more adverstising they sell. So the more exciting their news is the more succesful they are, so we get newstertainment instead of journalism.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
its also a problem with our media in general. Their success or failure isn't based on their truths or quality of reporting, its by advertising they sell. The more people watch them the more adverstising they sell. So the more exciting their news is the more succesful they are, so we get newstertainment instead of journalism.

I definetly concur with that.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
yeah see this is why making a big deal out of race/gender in politics is such a bad thing, all anyone wants to talk about is obama's blackness, and hillary's womanhood, and this whole time, it's distracting us from thier goals, and the intended methods of execution, which is the only important thing!

young4life

Awards
  • Established
yeah see this is why making a big deal out of race/gender in politics is such a bad thing, all anyone wants to talk about is obama's blackness, and hillary's womanhood, and this whole time, it's distracting us from thier goals, and the intended methods of execution, which is the only important thing!
Great post. This black/white, gender thing is definitly a distraction from the real issues. I wouldn't care if they were fu@kin green as long as they can get this economy kick started and give the average working person some hope.

young4life

Awards
  • Established
Personally I think he's all talk. He also seems naive in a way. Like when he takes office everything will all the sudden be ok, which of course with the problems we're having is highly unlikely. I agree with everyone in this thread. :wave:
Yes, he's a great speaker. He definitly know how and what to say to real you in. Besides being naive, he's also slick. He's telling us that he'll change NAFTA but sending his reps to Canada, telling them it's just political rhetoric.

Yes I hate NAFTA!!!!!!!

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
housing projects? never heard of them before?
I would like to thank you in advance for your ignorance. How would you feel If I said they will be running buses from the trailers to the voting booths. Inflamatory rhetoric is what divides the almost haves and have nots while the rich get richer and we argue amongst ourselves. Wake up.

:bruce3:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Isn't that pretty much how it goes in every presidential election?

young4life

Awards
  • Established
I would like to thank you in advance for your ignorance. How would you feel If I said they will be running buses from the trailers to the voting booths. Inflamatory rhetoric is what divides the almost haves and have nots while the rich get richer and we argue amongst ourselves. Wake up.
:clap2:
You read my mind. Some of his post in this thread makes me wonder.
I wanted to come at Easy like this but I held my tongue (or typing finger). The people up top can care less about the people on the bottom with nothing.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
:cheers:

You have hit the proverbial nail on the head sir, reps to you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up on free school lunches and salvation army clothes... I chose as a young adult to take a path that would lead me to not having to live that way and stuck with it, putting lots of effort in.

Inflammatory rhetoric isn't why they remain havenots, using excuses for their lack of effort educating themselves and dedicating themselves to improving is why they remain havenots. Sitting in the trailer drinking natural light while they watch NASCAR instead of doing something to better themselves keeps them in the trailer. And not emphasizing eductation, deadication and hard work keeps their children there.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established

:bruce3:
um, but what he said is true. It happens in every campaign. Busses to and from projects, to and from nursing homes. It is dirty politics sure, but it does exist.

I do not disagree with the second half of your post regarding inflammatory rhetoric being used to divide the electorate so that the Masters of the Universe get richer, but I don't think that Easy is in on it, nor do I think that his rhetoric was inflammatory.

young4life

Awards
  • Established
I grew up on free school lunches and salvation army clothes... I chose as a young adult to take a path that would lead me to not having to live that way and stuck with it, putting lots of effort in.
OOOOOK, now lets not forget where you came from and stop stepping all over and on them.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who said anything about stepping on them? There is no inherent nobility in using your sperm to impregnate a woman to have children you can't afford to raise because you have no useful skills and would rather spend your time drunk, high, playing video games or watching tv than upgrading those skills. And even worse is not spending the time to be involved in those childres lives.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."
-- Winston Churchill
And any man who loses the heart of his youth in gaining his maturity is just an ignorant jerk (BTW you might want to clean up that "quote").

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Easy, I could NOT agree more with both of those last statements you just typed.

This is what I see EVERY day...95% of black people are just plain SORRY. And believe me on this, it isn't the skin color at all. Its the culture and this disgusting cycle of parents passing it onto their kids and then the young adults just grow up in the drugs and POS jobs that is OK because their parents said so.

There are white people just as bad, I see them too. Its all a culture, not a skin color. But the culture is VERY prominent in blacks.

Like Easy was saying...all you have to do in America to be successful is WORK. Make a decision at a young age that you don't want to be a sorry piece of **** like your father is, and DO something about it. I don't even care if you have college degree or not. If you are willing to work and put in effort, you will make good money, and will also be promoted.

Sad...it really is.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have no college degree, i've broken making 100k the last couple years. My wife didn't even graduate high school (has a GED) is puerto rican and by 30 was making 50k a year. Not in commission based jobs or sales jobs, i'm in technology, she is in marketing. Sure maybe we're the exceptions, but are we the exceptions because we are among the few willing to put in the effort? I don't think its random or luck.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established

This is what I see EVERY day...95% of black people are just plain SORRY. And believe me on this, it isn't the skin color at all. Its the culture and this disgusting cycle of parents passing it onto their kids and then the young adults just grow up in the drugs and POS jobs that is OK because their parents said so.

There are white people just as bad, I see them too. Its all a culture, not a skin color. But the culture is VERY prominent in blacks.

Like Easy was saying...all you have to do in America to be successful is WORK. Make a decision at a young age that you don't want to be a sorry piece of **** like your father is, and DO something about it. I don't even care if you have college degree or not. If you are willing to work and put in effort, you will make good money, and will also be promoted.

Sad...it really is.
great posting! Unfortunately you'l be called a racist for saying this kind of stuff even though it is very true. People who have nothing make pathetic excuses about why they have nothing. "The rich get richer, the poor get poorer" well for fcks sake how about trying to be one of those rich people. Being born into a wealthy family has huge advantages compared to those brought up in poor environments but the world is a cruel place and unless those people make a serious effort to better their lives they will always be poor for generations to come. Anyone can go to a local library and pick up Rich Dad Poor Dad or a Warren Buffett book. All it takes is some belief that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Obama is playing the race card.

Clinton is playing the 'womanhood' card.

Bush was playing the morality card back in '04.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have no college degree, i've broken making 100k the last couple years. My wife didn't even graduate high school (has a GED) is puerto rican and by 30 was making 50k a year. Not in commission based jobs or sales jobs, i'm in technology, she is in marketing. Sure maybe we're the exceptions, but are we the exceptions because we are among the few willing to put in the effort? I don't think its random or luck.
Then you need to be taxed more for the "greater good".

:)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"The rich get richer, the poor get poorer" well for fcks sake how about trying to be one of those rich people.
Because its easier to get elected or come into power by pitting the rich against the poor (and playing on the emotions of the young). Its the same blueprint that is used throughout history. Those who make billions are evil...didn't you know that? You are a victim..please act like one. :lol:

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Because its easier to get elected or come into power by pitting the rich against the poor (and playing on the emotions of the young). Its the same blueprint that is used throughout history. Those who make billions are evil...didn't you know that? You are a victim..please act like one. :lol:
I am a billionare..........in Turkey:lol:

young4life

Awards
  • Established
DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM Blackjack - 95%:confused: Don't hold back, let it all out.

As sorry as it is, the rest of your statement is true. The black community is definitly holding themselfs back. The parents are DEFINITLY not pushing their children to achieve their full potential and let's not start with this rap culture bullsh!t, but 95%???

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM Blackjack - 95%:confused: Don't hold back, let it all out.

As sorry as it is, the rest of your statement is true. The black community is definitly holding themselfs back. The parents are
DEFINITLY not pushing their children to achieve their full potential, and let's not start with this rap culture bullsh!t, but 95%???
Honestly I am starting to feel similarly after the true radical leftist nature of the black church has been exposed by this Reverend Wright debacle. The amount of black people defending Wright is startling. A large majority of them are complete political radicals it seems.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OJ Simpson and Marion Barry.....

I have sympathy for Reverend Wright, and can believe that he experienced things in his youth that left him feeling that way. That doesn't mean it is how the world is today however, and thats the piece he is missing, he's holding onto bitterness.

young4life

Awards
  • Established
CNorris, Reverend Wright is a complete JACKASS. Don't let that fool define the rest of the black community, although, a lot of blacks do listen to that sh!t. I don't understand why.

Hopefully they are sensible enough to disregard the bullsh!t when they hear it.

Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robinson does not define white America for me.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

Sad...it really is.

Maybe you should let the African Americans in your local area know that you think they are sorry. Voice your opinion.