Abortion protester

Status
Not open for further replies.
spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Well I was at the Yale Physics Olympics a little while back. On a corner near the university, there was an old dude (70 maybe), holding a sign. At the top in big letters was the word "CHOICE." Then there was what looked like a dead chicken below it. I didnt notice untill I got closer that it was a fetus. Here is the picture, or very close to the picture, of what was on his board...

Now im not here to voice my opinion on abortion, arguing on the web is pointless. I will say, however, that this pic deeply disturbed me.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Well I was at the Yale Physics Olympics a little while back. On a corner near the university, there was an old dude (70 maybe), holding a sign. At the top in big letters was the word "CHOICE." Then there was what looked like a dead chicken below it. I didnt notice untill I got closer that it was a fetus. Here is the picture, or very close to the picture, of what was on his board...Now im not here to voice my opinion on abortion, arguing on the web is pointless. I will say, however, that this pic deeply disturbed me.
I've seen worse. The one that really disturbed me was the video titled "Silent Scream." Basically I think it's an ultrasound of an abortion as it's being done, and it seems like you can see the fetus trying to scream as it's sucked out of the mother. Kind of makes me sick to my stomach thinking about that.

I empathize with people who are against abortion. I'm against it myself in principle. I do think those kids have the right to live, but they don't have the right to live at the expense of anyone else, the mother in this instance. Nor does anyone else have the right to live at the expense of anyone else. Self sovereignty to me is paramount in this issue.

Now of course this is a grey area. That logic taken to it's extreme means if no one is willing to help someone they should be left to die in the street. Both prochoice and prolife people have valid points that deserve serious consideration, and the extremists on both sides are misguided I think in not acknowledging that things aren't always so black and white. You're not just removing tissue from a woman's body when performing an abortion, nor can life be said to begin at conception with any certainty.

That's why I'd prefer the issue be left to the states. Whether Roe v Wade is constitutionally sound or not I have no idea. But, personally I'd prefer the abortion issue be left to the states to decide so no one-size-fits-all decision is forced on any one subpopulation within the US, and options along the entire spectrum of opinion are made available to all people.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I empathize with people who are against abortion. I'm against it myself in principle. I do think those kids have the right to live, but they don't have the right to live at the expense of anyone else, the mother in this instance. Nor does anyone else have the right to live at the expense of anyone else. Self sovereignty to me is paramount in this issue.
Well this is too tempting, so I have to give my 2 cents. I dont intent to offend anyone, but I'm sorry in advance if I do so.

There is 1 and only 1 case where I agree with abortion: When the mothers life is in danger.

Other than that there is no need to be performing one. Some say that there are more reasons to, but I bet to differ...

1) The mother is too young, say, under 18. In this case, the new grandparents should be responsible. They didnt raise her to be mature enough to not have a kid under 18, so this is there punisment. If I were to ever murder someone, my parents would get in some sort of trouble. Same with drugs. Why not with child birth?

2) Rape. Look at the wonderful opportunity you have. This baby's father was a rapist, so we can assume he wasnt a good guy. You can now raise this child to be a better person, and have a brighter future than the father. The father isnt sentanced to death for the rape, why should the kid? Even if you dont want to raise the kid, get it addopted. I would rather be in an orphanige than dead any day.

3) The mother just doens't want it. Well, the unibomber doesnt want to go to prison, so lets not make him. Sometimes you need to be RESPONSIBLE for your actions.

To end, unless there is a threat to the mothers life, there is no need to kill the baby. Worst comes to worst, adopt it.

PS- This is only my oppinion. I've been wrong before, and I'll be damned if I'm never wrong again.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
This is one issue that I really don't have a strong opinion on, and I don't think I ever will...which is not to say that I think it is unimportant. I tend to agree with CDB.

I have my own similar anecdote: While I was running a marathon several years ago there was a group of prolife demonstrators with gruesome posters that were probably about 3ftx5ft. They were staggered about every 20 yards for about a mile on a spot where you had to double back so that you would see them at about mile 16 and again at about 22. I observe the right to protest peacefully, and I can understand and possibly agree with their point of view, but graphic displays for people who are already nauseous and wiped out really serves no purpose. I felt a profound loathing for these demonstrators who I may have otherwise empathized with. Their classless display drove me further from understanding them.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
That picture is very bothersome, but as stated above, a touchy issue.

My own personal thoughts,a woman should have the right to an abortion, in a few cases, life threatening, and if raped.

Sadly in my line of work I see it used as a form of birth control, which sickens me.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I can see this turning out to be one of those neverending, back and forth type arguments. Here's a site might make you think twice about being pro abortion.

http://www.abortiontv.com/

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Well I have to commend the posters here. No personal attacks just stating their own opinions. VERY nice.

BTW does it seem like a large number of people who are out to protect animals, their rights and nature are pro choice/abortion?

CROWLER

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Well I have to commend the posters here. No personal attacks just stating their own opinions. VERY nice.

BTW does it seem like a large number of people who are out to protect animals, their rights and nature are pro choice/abortion?

CROWLER
It does annoy me that some people believe in putting animals rights in front of humans rights. Pretty ass backwards if you ask me.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

CROWLER
Just as there are ppl who are pro-life who favor the death penalty and support the iraq invasion...

People frequently (too often IMO) take positions on issues based on emotion instead of logic and that protester is using that very approach. He is using a gory display to trigger an emotional reaction supporting his position.

Where is the debate on the social and economic costs as well as the impact on human and civil rights? Trying to settle issues and differences emotionally is all but futile.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
The thing that gets me about abortion is the grey area. As a man, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling a woman to get an abortion if she got raped or if her life was in danger due to the pregnancy. But IMO, abortions are murder if you get them just because you weren't responsible

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Just as there are ppl who are pro-life who favor the death penalty and support the iraq invasion...
Theres a big difference between the death penalty and abortion. The baby hasnt even been given the chance to do something wrong, while the person being executed is likly a murderer.

Sadly in my line of work I see it used as a form of birth control, which sickens me.
Whats your line of work?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That picture is very bothersome, but as stated above, a touchy issue.

My own personal thoughts,a woman should have the right to an abortion, in a few cases, life threatening, and if raped.

Just playing devils advocate here... But technically speaking... isnt that exactly what it is... a form of birth control. The only 100% effective one.

Adams

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If the potential for life IS life, then I have murdered millions...thoughtlessly washing them down the drain of the shower. I think that there are compelling arguements on both sides, but what you are calling a "baby" is hardly such, and I am surprised to see such illogical arguements on this board. Digging up an acorn before it becomes an oak tree is hardly the same thing as cutting down a tree that is living and established. And further to say that "alot of people that support animal rights seem support abortion" and thus, they are putting animal rights above human rights is really reaching. Rational discussion is one thing, but this is just an "I feel" type of argument going on, and will never reach a satisfactory end.

That being said, I am glad that people feel strongly in this issue, as I too value human life. I have, however, seen what happens to unwanted children and suffice it to say that maybe not having ever "lived" may sometimes not be the worst case scenario.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If the potential for life IS life, then I have murdered millions...thoughtlessly washing them down the drain of the shower. I think that there are compelling arguements on both sides, but what you are calling a "baby" is hardly such, and I am surprised to see such illogical arguements on this board. Digging up an acorn before it becomes an oak tree is hardly the same thing as cutting down a tree that is living and established. And further to say that "alot of people that support animal rights seem support abortion" and thus, they are putting animal rights above human rights is really reaching. Rational discussion is one thing, but this is just an "I feel" type of argument going on, and will never reach a satisfactory end.

That being said, I am glad that people feel strongly in this issue, as I too value human life. I have, however, seen what happens to unwanted children and suffice it to say that maybe not having ever "lived" may sometimes not be the worst case scenario.
That is a very week argument... You are comparing tree to a human being??? But again... that is why you are entitled to an opinion... I fully believe it is a baby. Even though the other side might say Hardly such.

Adams

foo.c

Board Supporter
Awards
That pic kinda freaked me out. My wife is pregnant with twins and we just had our first ultrasound this week.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
That pic kinda freaked me out. My wife is pregnant with twins and we just had our first ultrasound this week.
Congrats and good luck. You're gonna need it with two cryin' babies. :D

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I guess from the previoius posts, I'll probably get savagely beaten by you guys...

1) The mother is too young, say, under 18. In this case, the new grandparents should be responsible. They didnt raise her to be mature enough to not have a kid under 18, so this is there punisment. If I were to ever murder someone, my parents would get in some sort of trouble. Same with drugs. Why not with child birth?
So a 12 year old girl should have a baby as punishment?! I believe the girl would be punished as much as the "grandparents." Or is it that the girl can go on living like a 12 year old (with no responsibility of the child), and her parents would take care of the child?!

2) Rape. Look at the wonderful opportunity you have. This baby's father was a rapist, so we can assume he wasnt a good guy. You can now raise this child to be a better person, and have a brighter future than the father. The father isnt sentanced to death for the rape, why should the kid? Even if you dont want to raise the kid, get it addopted. I would rather be in an orphanige than dead any day.
I'm sure if you were raped, you'd want a constant reminder of such an awful event. Every time you looked at the baby, you'd think how horrible it was when it was conceived. Oh, and not to mention when the child grows up...
"Mommy, where's daddy?"
"Oh he's in prison for raping me...and your the result of it"
I'm sure that wouldn't have any effect on the mother or the child.
I'm all for the adoption angle, but once again it should be the mother's choice whether to have it, not anyone elses.

I would rather be in an orphanige than dead any day.
I don't think you're really aware of what's going on. I don't remember swimming around in the womb...

3) The mother just doens't want it. Well, the unibomber doesnt want to go to prison, so lets not make him. Sometimes you need to be RESPONSIBLE for your actions.
Blowing people up is a crime, so you have to go to prison...having an abortion is legal.
If the mother doesn't want it, you want to FORCE her to have it?!
I'm sure that wouldn't cause the mother to resent the child and possibly abuse it. Is that better?!

Of course, as said previously (Nitrox)...what about the economic/social issues?!
If you don't have the money, how are you going to give the child a decent life?!

Yes, I believe that people shouldn't use abortion as birth control, but I also believe it should be the woman's choice. Adoption is always the best option, but once again, that's for the woman to decide, not you.
I read that the majority of schools don't even teach birth control, but instead focus on abstinenance. Get real! A study just came out showing that this doesn't work, and that kids taught this actually have higher instances of STD's, and pregnancies!

Ok, enough of this ranting....

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Theres a big difference between the death penalty and abortion. The baby hasnt even been given the chance to do something wrong, while the person being executed is likly a murderer.
The original point was that some people who support abortion are apparently hypocritical in their beliefs. I was illustrating the opposite. As far as the degree of difference between the two, that is debatable. It could come down to whether or not one human should be allowed to take the life of another. In that case there is no difference...

If you feel so strongly that other people should be made to take responsibility for others (ie the parents or grandparents) then why not take it one step further? If all pregnancies must be carried to term then there should be a draft amongst all pro-lifers to be adoptive parents for unwanted children. How many can you take Spatch?

If the abortion issue was so simple it would have been solved by now.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
a woman's choice is just that. it's much easier for us to point the finger when we haven't been in that position. however, i do believe there should be some sort of guidelines in qualifying for the procedure.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ah... already see where this is going... might as well close the thread soon.

Adams

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established

Whats your line of work?
Social work for now, lots of educating familes, training for jobs, making sure they have medical insurance or can get afforable insurance. I do it all this year as far as what I have gotten involved in, getting mothers already admitting to having abortions because they had no birth control! So i send them to get birth control, but its sadly like holding a child's hand, if I don't hold there hands it dosent get done.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure if you were raped, you'd want a constant reminder of such an awful event. Every time you looked at the baby, you'd think how horrible it was when it was conceived. Oh, and not to mention when the child grows up...
"Mommy, where's daddy?"
"Oh he's in prison for raping me...and your the result of it"
I'm sure that wouldn't have any effect on the mother or the child.
I'm all for the adoption angle, but once again it should be the mother's choice whether to have it, not anyone elses.
So far this thread has been about 100% debate, and little/no pointless personal attacks. I'll try to keep it that way :cheers:

Within that child the mother holds the key to the future. Sure she could think of the rape when she looked at the kid. However, when the kid graduates school, gets a job, and becomes a productive citizen, she can know she changed, and possibly saved, a life.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It was not an argument, it was an analogy. And yes, I was comparing a tree to a human, though not in a sense of worth rather to get a sense of the fact that it is highly unlikely that you are aware of the physiology of the fetus at the time most abortions are performed.

An acorn is no more an oak tree than MOST aborted fetuses are humans. Furthermore their brains lack a paradigm for which to compare/associate any nerve impulses including those along the pain pathways, and thus cannot truly experience pain and fear as we can.

To an extent this misunderstanding is due to anthropomorphism on the part of the beholder. We know that there are living cells, and we know that there is a possibility that those living cells will someday become a human being. This does NOT a human make. Each of the millions af sperm in each male ejaculation are living cells and are potential human lives. We needn't hold a mass funeral with millions of little coffins every time we come since potential requires actuation to become.

The more logical arguments center on when life begins, and that my friends is another thread at the least.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
It was not an argument, it was an analogy. And yes, I was comparing a tree to a human, though not in a sense of worth rather to get a sense of the fact that it is highly unlikely that you are aware of the physiology of the fetus at the time most abortions are performed.

An acorn is no more an oak tree than MOST aborted fetuses are humans. Furthermore their brains lack a paradigm for which to compare/associate any nerve impulses including those along the pain pathways, and thus cannot truly experience pain and fear as we can.

To an extent this misunderstanding is due to anthropomorphism on the part of the beholder. We know that there are living cells, and we know that there is a possibility that those living cells will someday become a human being. This does NOT a human make. Each of the millions af sperm in each male ejaculation are living cells and are potential human lives. We needn't hold a mass funeral with millions of little coffins every time we come since potential requires actuation to become.

The more logical arguments center on when life begins, and that my friends is another thread at the least.
:goodpost: word

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
This argument I have to say I never agreed with. Those people would argue they are against killing someone who has not done something to deserve that kind of punishment. It's the difference between killing an innocent and killing someone whose a convicted murderer. Of course, innocents are killed in wars and these people know that, so we're back in the grey area.

Where is the debate on the social and economic costs as well as the impact on human and civil rights? Trying to settle issues and differences emotionally is all but futile.
True, but people have very different views on those issues. Arguments about social costs taken to their extreme lead to very unpleasant circumstances. The underlying point that I think should never be lost is people disagree on whether or not a fetus counts as a human life and if so is deserving of human rights.

Many people argue that steroids and other drugs should always be illegal and the punishments for possession, use and sale should be taken to extremes, and they often point to what they consider to be the social costs of drug use. And, they ignore or don't see the social costs that arise from the extreme violation of individual's rights that are necessary to enforce such laws.

Loads of unwanted children can have social costs. But, I don't think anyone is worried about unwanted rich kids. Some, liberal and conservative and even prochoice and prolife, woud question the 'quick fix' aspect of abortion as I'd call it. What would we do with all those kids? How many would grow up to be criminals? How many unwanted rich kids will grow up to be corporate creeps?

I think bringing up the social costs of not allowing abortions sort of covers up a more major issue that needs attention: why are there so many unwanted kids, and why are so many parents seemingly incapable of raising them so they don't turn out to be criminals, of any stripe or income level?

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
CDB...have you read Freakonomics?
Heard of it, never read it. Sadly enough these days I barely have enough time scratch my balls much less read the way I used to.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I guess from the previoius posts, I'll probably get savagely beaten by you guys...
No, but one small point...

Blowing people up is a crime, so you have to go to prison...having an abortion is legal.
This isn't a good argument. Legality is not the same thing as morality, which is what people are concentrating on when they discuss this issue. Trying to meld the two is a big mistake in my opinion.

For example, were abortion to be made illegal in the near future I'm sure you wouldn't change your mind on the morality of the issue. A law making abortion legal doesn't make it moral anymore than a law making abortion illegal makes it immoral. That's just the law, and as I'm sure we all know here the law can be very misguided and outright wrong quite often.

I'm sure that wouldn't cause the mother to resent the child and possibly abuse it. Is that better?!
No, but I'm sure that now you are here you're probably on balance happy you weren't aborted. The fact, alluded to in a part of your post I didn't quote, that the child isn't conscious, or that their life might no be as pleasant as others doesn't negate the argument from human rights. It's still arguable that they have the right to that life, no matter how vile it may turn out to be.

A person who is incapacitated and in a vegetative state still has rights, and the situation is especially clear if they've left a living will. What if they have the potential to recover? No matter how remote it is, is someone else justified in pulling the plug, and is it moral and legal to force someone to keep the machines going in the hope they will one day wake up?

Grey area.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
True, those arguments are a lot more logical. But we are not a nation of Spocks, and to take the analogy further, Spock (logic) and Kirk (passion) were very weak characters when dealt with seperately. Their chemistry was in how they worked together. Logic is a process, it still needs premises to be plugged in, and those premises have moral and ethical aspects to them.

Even were we to get everyone to agree on what constitutes a human life (not going to happen), and then center in perfectly on when that life begins (probably impossible), the moral issues still remain. Constantly aborting potential lives can be argued to be morally wrong too, if not from the abortions but from the behavior that leads to them.

There are people born without the ability to feel pain. That doesn't make it okay to engage in actions that would, if they could feel pain, hurt them. Hold their hand to a fire and they're still burned, whether they felt it or not.

Personally I think life began a very, very long time ago and has never ended since. I'm never going to tell anyone what to do with their own body, whether they want to take drugs or abort a fetus. Self sovereignty. But, I can still judge their behavior and at the very least use that as guide in my life to help me determine right from wrong.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
No, were not forcing her to have a baby, were saying she shoud have to give birth bc she wasn't smart enough to use birth controll or not have sex if she didnt want to deal with the consequences.

Repeat after me... Re-spon-si-bil-i-ty

Again, this isnt a personal attack, just debaiting

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
No, were not forcing her to have a baby, were saying she shoud have to give birth bc she wasn't smart enough to use birth controll or not have sex if she didnt want to deal with the consequences.

Repeat after me... Re-spon-si-bil-i-ty

Again, this isnt a personal attack, just debaiting
Legally restricting her access to an abortion is forcing her to have the child, so that is in fact what you are saying. All laws are backed up with the threat of force. Just because that force is legally sanctioned doesn't change that basic fact.

brogers

Awards
  • Established
Abortion is quite possibly the worst act the human race has ever committed.

I can't even fathom how abortion became a "right" that trumps the most basic right we have... the right to life.

Burner

Awards
Abortion is quite possibly the worst act the human race has ever committed.

I can't even fathom how abortion became a "right" that trumps the most basic right we have... the right to life.
I agree. One of my best friends was born from a rape, she is an amazing person that is very glad her mother didnt abort her, despite the rough times she has had.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
What I dont get is how some people are agains eating animals but for abortions. My motto- REAL MEN EAT MEAT :food:

Also, if I have the "choice" to remove a baby from my body, I'll be damned if I dont have the choice to use PCP, heroin, anabolic steroids, crack cocane, or anything else I so deem necessary.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
What I dont get is how some people are agains eating animals but for abortions. My motto- REAL MEN EAT MEAT :food:
It's kind of disgusting, but when I've been at accident scenes where people have been horribly burned, it smells like a good BBQ. Sick but true. You never look at a rack of ribs the same way again.

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
Morality aside, I truly do not understand our government's stance on issues of life. Allowing abortion is a decision on when life begins by the government is it not? In my eyes it has to be or the laws of homocide would apply.
So the government decides a fetus is not life. Agree or disagree but that is the decision.
But then I've seen incidents where a drunk driver kills a pregnant woman and is charged with two counts of vehicular manslaughter.
So is want of a child the deciding factor? Is desire for life a requiste for it?
If the government decides desire for life is the deciding factor then why is doctor assisted suicide illegal?

I don't understand laws in place that would allow me to drive my girlfriend to an abortion clinic without penality, get in a accident on the way home that leads to a murder charge of an unborn victim, prevent a doctor from giving me a lethal injection upon my request if I was distraught over it, or sentencing me to death because of it.

*This post is not intended to support abortion, suicide, drunk driving, or the death penalty*

jvangard

Awards
2) Rape. Look at the wonderful opportunity you have.
I'm sorry but..."a wonderful opportunity"? Dude, are you luck my wife doesn't read this forum. I wonder if you would feel the same way if you had to endure the rape, carry the baby to term, and raise it?

If you force a woman to be pregnant by a rapist, the rapist wins. He doesn't get to win. He is a criminal.

BTW, that "carcass" looks like a monkey or perhaps something cobbled together. Head is far too small, appendages too long compared to the torso. Also, dead tissue does not usually stay red. Skeletal muscle perhaps, but skin and most other tissue turns white or blue from anoxia. I am a biologist and have seen enough preserved human fetuses to recognize a fake when I see one.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
I am 100% pro-choice.
Again, not an attack, but saying you are pro "choice" is a joke.

In my oppinion, if you are not against abortion, you are for it. Allowing someone to have the "choice" of an abortion is like saying someone should have the "choice" of opening a concentration camp.

If you force a woman to be pregnant by a rapist, the rapist wins. He doesn't get to win. He is a criminal.
No,

If you kill the baby, you are worse than the rapist. Yes, rape is probably the second worst crime on the planet. Killing someone is worse, even if there father is a rapist.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Morality aside, I truly do not understand our government's stance on issues of life. Allowing abortion is a decision on when life begins by the government is it not? In my eyes it has to be or the laws of homocide would apply.
So the government decides a fetus is not life. Agree or disagree but that is the decision.
But then I've seen incidents where a drunk driver kills a pregnant woman and is charged with two counts of vehicular manslaughter.
So is want of a child the deciding factor? Is desire for life a requiste for it?
If the government decides desire for life is the deciding factor then why is doctor assisted suicide illegal?

I don't understand laws in place that would allow me to drive my girlfriend to an abortion clinic without penality, get in a accident on the way home that leads to a murder charge of an unborn victim, prevent a doctor from giving me a lethal injection upon my request if I was distraught over it, or sentencing me to death because of it.

*This post is not intended to support abortion, suicide, drunk driving, or the death penalty*

8 words came to my mind after reading that.

"Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee"

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Again, not an attack, but saying you are pro "choice" is a joke.

In my oppinion, if you are not against abortion, you are for it. Allowing someone to have the "choice" of an abortion is like saying someone should have the "choice" of opening a concentration camp.
I thought me saying pro choice meant I'm for abortion.

There are times when having a child is not beneficial for anyone. Why have the child grow up in a bad environment (poor, single parent, or parent who abuses drugs, etc.) or ship them off to adoption where they might go in foster care where the child has different parents or abusive parents who use them to get more government money?

What if the woman was raped and the rapist was HIV positive. How fair is it for the kid to have HIV problems all his life? To me, its better to spare the child the pain of HIV and have the child aborted. Its better to spare the child a life of living in the dregs of society where he gives up on hope and becomes a criminal. Its better to spare the child the pain of where he moves between abusive foster parents and noncaring foster parents.

jvangard

Awards
If you kill the baby, you are worse than the rapist. Yes, rape is probably the second worst crime on the planet. Killing someone is worse, even if there father is a rapist.
Let's get something straight. I am not talking about using abortion as birth control steming from consensual sex. If birth control and sex education were emphasized more, we wouldn't be having this conversation--but I digress.

Rape is assault. It's violence against another person, and a horrible ordeal--something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemies. Just because a rapist’s sperm finds its way into a woman, doesn't mean it has any right being there. The woman is a victim, and that his sperm finds her ovum is part of her injury. Victims have surgery to correct gunshot wounds or other injury that results from other violent crime, in fact we would think them fools if they didn't. Much of the damage that occurs from violent crime can't be undone, thankfully this can.

I am guessing from your comments, that you do not have children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and child rearing is no small thing. In fact it is huge, and scary, and dangerous. Next to death of a loved one it is probably the biggest life-altering event that anyone is likely to experience. Yet, unlike death we have the ability to choose to go through this experience. People do it for various reasons, but the fact is that ultimately the vast majority those who do it, do it because they want to, which is how it should be.

No one should be forced to go through something this big without their consent. Just because a man can break in and hold a woman down does not give him the right to change her life fundamentally and forever.

Again, I think if it was your body, you might have a different opinion.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
No, it's not. Opening up a concentration camp and throwing living, breathing adults who are clearly alive in there when they have committed no crime is obviously wrong. Abortion is not so obviously wrong. No one is sure when the child's conscious life begins, no one is sure where and when the point is for granting that child legal rights, and even granting we knew those two things the child has to live at the expense of the mother for 3/4 of a year, which is in violation of her rights if she does not wish to support anyone against her will.

A more apt analogy for rape would be a mentally retarded person breaking into your home for shelter during a blizzard. It would be cruel, immoral and unethical to throw them out, but it should not be illegal to do so. It's your property, just as it's her body. How you use it regarding others raises moral and ethical questions, but legally your right to your own property, especially in the form of your own body, should be absolute.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
No one should be forced to go through something this big without their consent. Just because a man can break in and hold a woman down does not give him the right to change her life fundamentally and forever.

Again, I think if it was your body, you might have a different opinion.

Your right, I might have a different oppinion, thats why there oppinions, and not facts. You might have a different oppinion if it was your son, daughter, nephew, etc. being thrown in a trash can. I guess we can just agree to disagree on this one.

If a woman should have to have a baby with out her concent, why should a baby be killed with out its concent?

PS- I gave you a positive rep point for this post. While I 100% disagree with you, you present your point very well, unlike people who would say "your 17, get a life, and shut up."

Status
Not open for further replies.