Everyone knows all too well by this point that President Obama promised to cut the deficit in half during his first term. The results are in; and it has been an epic failure. So, although President Obama promised to make the "tough choices necessary to restore fiscal discipline, cut the deficit in half by the end of my first term in office, and put our nation on sound fiscal footing.", and it seems he fell just a bit shy.
Not wanting to take anyone else’s word for it, I have performed an analysis on my own, employing own math skills (and I had to do some of that "this number goesinta that number" type of thing), and here are the results:
1. At the outset of the Obama Presidency, it is generally accepted that the deficit was approximately $10,000,000,000,000; and
2. At the current time, it is generally accepted that the deficit is approximately $16,000,000,000,000; and
3. President Obama committed to cutting the deficit by half (note to self, you need to divide the original (starting) deficit number by two); and
4. $10,000,000,000,000 divided by two does not equal $16,000,000,000,000; and
5. Based on President Obama's promise to reduce the deficit by 1/2, had President Obama accomplished this, the deficit would now be $5,000,000,000,000; and
6. $5,000,000,000,000 does not equal $16,000,000,000,000; and
7. $16,000,000,000,000 is over three times as much as $5,000,000,000,000 and 1.6 times as much as $10,000,000,000,000; and
8. Neither “over three times as much” or “1.6 times as much” equals one half (1/2).
(Wow, this math stuff has been sort of hard, I'm going to need to take a break to sharpen my pencils).
So here is my question. If President Obama followed all of the steps outlined below, would it help get him out of this dilemma?
Steps to Possible Solution:
1. Have Attorney General Eric Holder send out an internal communication (sort of like they did with "Fast and Furious") regarding his observation that President Obama never made any attempt whatsoever to reduce the deficit by one half, and state that he (Attorney General Eric Holder) has details that indicate it would have been impossible for President Obama to do so, even though both Attorney General Eric Holder and President Obama would then (and also) claim President Obama was never informed about the economy or the deficit, that the two have never discussed the economy or deficit; and then
2. Attorney General Eric Holder sometime later rescinds the internal communication (similar to what they did with “Fast and Furious”); and then
3. President Obama asserts executive privilege over the documents Attorney General Eric Holder says he has regarding the deficit, even though he and President Obama have already claimed that President Obama was never informed about the economy or deficit, that the two have never discussed the economy or deficit; and then
4. President Obama says he get got confused, stating he thought "this economy stuff" was about "cleaning up the air, reducing carbon footprint, and that Green Peace crap"; and then
5. President Obama disclaims any knowledge at all about the economy or deficit; and specifically claims it was Bush, not Obama, who promised reduce the deficit by one half; and then
6. President Obama holds a press conference in the Rose Garden and claims if he had a son, it would look just like Attorney General Eric Holder.
I think it will work.