Election of 2012....Who ya got?

Page 1 of 31 1236 ... Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Election of 2012....Who ya got?


    Ok guys, figured I would get us started early. With the Iowa Straw poll just yesterday, it seems that election/campaign season is strongly underway. With that said, who do you think will opposed Obama in 2012, and who do you think with be out C.I.C? Also, who would you want if you had your choice?

    If I had to place a wager now, I think Rick Perry will get the GOP nod, and probably lose to Obama in 2012.

    Out of those 2 choice, we are going in the wrong direction IMO regardless.

    If I had my druthers, I like Huntsman's more common sense approach, but he will not get any serious attention.

    So lets here it folks
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility

  2. Registered User
    RawStrength's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    197
    Answers
    0

    ::Grabs Popcorn::
  3. Registered User
    Bolanrox's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,096
    Answers
    0

    The GOP debates will be funny / disturbing enough that's for sure. Still though like you said who ever wins in the end we lose.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    Obama is very vulnerable, but Republicans can't win with who they will probably nominate. If they nominate Perry they lose (religious nuts don't play well in generals), if they nominate Bachmann they lose (see Perry quote, plus she's nuts), if they nominate Romney they lose (far right hates him).

    A moderate would have a real good shot I'd think, but I don't see it happening. Obama wins (imo) because the other side runs someone polarizing enough to scare the middle and the Dems into action.

    As for who I hope wins, Ron Paul of course. But that has no chance of happening.
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,131
    Answers
    0

    Name:  The-Douche-and-The-Turd.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  19.8 KB
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. Registered User
    omni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    540
    Answers
    0

    Politics is a game about winning. Who stands a chance against Obama? I like a lot of the candidates answers and solutions but, even if I like the person, I want Obama out and I only see one person who can beat him. Why spend so much time and money on who will just lose? I believe Herman Cain is the only one who can beat Obama. I like Cain and his idea's. He's a business man and more in touch with most Americans, IMHO.
    94% of Black voters voted for Obama. If it were 85% I wouldn't believe they voted according to race but they did. Obama's parents weren't Americans. His mom wasn't from America. His Dad was from Kenya. His value's aren't American.

    Herman Cain is Born and raised in America with the same cultural heritage as most of the Black AND White population. Obama is the opposite. Maybe Cain can teach people that the Republican party is not the "white" party, but the party for equality.

    Color aside, I like what he stands for and he isn't a career politician.
  7. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Answers
    0

    Obama is vulnerable, yes. I think he has more disappointment then approval. Hell, the rest of the world sees him as a push over and we don't think he can get anything done. But he is a strong standout representative for the democratic opinion. But he gets nothing from me... how dare you take down the American flag from the oval office to be replaced with a middle eastern nation's. You, sir, are not the leader of my country.

    With that being said, the republic party has NO face. There's too many potential people and not enogh backing to a single name. If I HAD to pick, Romney. Of course, we'd all love to see Ron Paul make waves but it just won't happen. The GOP is too scatterbrained to form a tangible front to take on the President.
    For me, it's not the "better candidate" rather than "the lesser of two evils." What we need is a moderate, someone to stop all this ripping at the seames. The problem is were so far gone into radical/progressive politics somone halfway will never get the chance.

    *Sigh* it's gonna be an interesting year. RawStrength, pass that popcorn.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  8. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by seccsi View Post
    Obama is very vulnerable, but Republicans can't win with who they will probably nominate. If they nominate Perry they lose (religious nuts don't play well in generals), if they nominate Bachmann they lose (see Perry quote, plus she's nuts), if they nominate Romney they lose (far right hates him).

    A moderate would have a real good shot I'd think, but I don't see it happening. Obama wins (imo) because the other side runs someone polarizing enough to scare the middle and the Dems into action.

    As for who I hope wins, Ron Paul of course. But that has no chance of happening.
    Overall this is more or less my stance, although Romney i'd say has more of a chance than Bachman or Perry. Ron Paul or Herman Cain would be my first choices, and at least Ron did well in the straw poll, so theres some hope.

    but Rodja has it right on the nose (hopefully i'm not the only one who knows that reference offhand )
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Answers
    0

    Herman Cain. . .

    but nothing is going to change, except the 'change' Obama was talking about - which is tearing apart this country.

    outside of the economy, debt, freedoms in danger, etc. that is wrong with this country, I would only vote for a leader who will stand for Israel.
  10. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Name:  Chris-Christie-Pointing.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  39.6 KB



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Overall this is more or less my stance, although Romney i'd say has more of a chance than Bachman or Perry. Ron Paul or Herman Cain would be my first choices, and at least Ron did well in the straw poll, so theres some hope.

    but Rodja has it right on the nose (hopefully i'm not the only one who knows that reference offhand )
    Perry and Bachman are a tad scary, when they start preaching. Or in Perry's case, leading a prayer service.

    Romney has the look and sound of a president, I just dont know if the right is galvanized behind him.

    Cain has already had a few off the wall things to say, and as much as there are certain things about Paul I like, he is a little too cooky for me.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Name:  Chris-Christie-Pointing.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  39.6 KB


    You cant be serious. Watch out to all public employees nationwide. Stay Puft is on the way
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  13. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post


    You cant be serious. Watch out to all public employees nationwide. Stay Puft is on the way

    Absolutely serious....and nobody in their right mind would think any union of any kind would vote Republican anyway.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post


    You cant be serious. Watch out to all public employees nationwide. Stay Puft is on the way
    Not knocking you personally but think of the quality of service you've received from public employees vs similar people in private industry. Do you think for that they deserve higher pay, more days off, basically free health care, and non contributory pensions after 20 years? I sure don't.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  15. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Not knocking you personally but think of the quality of service you've received from public employees vs similar people in private industry. Do you think for that they deserve higher pay, more days off, basically free health care, and non contributory pensions after 20 years? I sure don't.
    Neither does most of the country...


    Wisconsin just proved that....in a traditionally progressive state, their recall grabbed only 2 seats after the **** storm that governor got over the exact same issues.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Not knocking you personally but think of the quality of service you've received from public employees vs similar people in private industry. Do you think for that they deserve higher pay, more days off, basically free health care, and non contributory pensions after 20 years? I sure don't.
    I dont disagree....too a point. However, he has made them the villain when that is most certainly not the case. You and I both know the issues in NJ are far deeper than public sector. Christie just refuses to make any waves with the people that helped him get elected. He is also another one (like all politicians btw) that lie through their teeth on the campaign trail. Look for what he said about educators on the campaign trail. Too funny (and hypocritical)

    As an aside, with my new job, I have seen first hand what his new legislation is doing to "free" benefits. Yikes
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  17. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I dont disagree....too a point. However, he has made them the villain when that is most certainly not the case. You and I both know the issues in NJ are far deeper than public sector. Christie just refuses to make any waves with the people that helped him get elected. He is also another one (like all politicians btw) that lie through their teeth on the campaign trail. Look for what he said about educators on the campaign trail. Too funny (and hypocritical)

    As an aside, with my new job, I have seen first hand what his new legislation is doing to "free" benefits. Yikes
    No, he made the unions the villiain.....the unions then tried to cast that as Christie making the teachers the villain.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  18. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I dont disagree....too a point. However, he has made them the villain when that is most certainly not the case. You and I both know the issues in NJ are far deeper than public sector. Christie just refuses to make any waves with the people that helped him get elected. He is also another one (like all politicians btw) that lie through their teeth on the campaign trail. Look for what he said about educators on the campaign trail. Too funny (and hypocritical)

    As an aside, with my new job, I have seen first hand what his new legislation is doing to "free" benefits. Yikes
    I dunno, as with the teachers union I feel they are the villians to an extent. Maybe not the largest but still it needs to be dealt with permanently. I'm sill supportive of the right for workers to bargain collectively, but at this point unions are just a big special interest political group. Particularly in the public sector, I don't feel they should be able to hold the state over a barrel on excessive benefits and no firing policies. Again, my favorite example being the Hawaii public school system.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    No, he made the unions the villiain.....the unions then tried to cast that as Christie making the teachers the villain.
    thats just not true. Christie specifically targeted educators and used them in his speeches. Do you remember the "drug mule" commentary?

    At the end of the day, he is a fairly popular rock star outside of NJ right now, but on a national scene, his bully routine will make him a flop
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  20. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    thats just not true. Christie specifically targeted educators and used them in his speeches. Do you remember the "drug mule" commentary?

    At the end of the day, he is a fairly popular rock star outside of NJ right now, but on a national scene, his bully routine will make him a flop
    I disagree. He tried to differentiate the two plenty of times.

    And I think his platform would be very successful....Wisconsin showed that, even though Democrats and the media tried to portray the entire state against Walker....in the end, he won....and that union fight was MUCH more public than anything NJ had.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I disagree. He tried to differentiate the two plenty of times.

    And I think his platform would be very successful....Wisconsin showed that, even though Democrats and the media tried to portray the entire state against Walker....in the end, he won....and that union fight was MUCH more public than anything NJ had.
    I disagree. He has specifically come out and called teachers lazy and selfish. He has also gone after cops and firefighters as well. Hell....he cut cops in Newark of all places

    Walker and Christie are very different. Christie comes off as a bully. Walker is more polished (personality wise) imo
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  22. Registered User
    Bolanrox's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,096
    Answers
    0

    does anyone really like Christie? at this point hasnt he pi$$ed off just about everyone in the state?
  23. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolanrox View Post
    does anyone really like Christie? at this point hasnt he pi$$ed off just about everyone in the state?
    Right now most states as well as the federal government are faced with choices that require pissing off everyone. Deficit spending doesn't work in the long run, someone has to pay the bill eventually.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  24. Registered User
    vinnythestick's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    55
    Answers
    0

    In my experience serving in the federal government, and attending the ****e-y public schools that I did; I'm fairly confident in saying that a good number of people enjoying their guaranteed stipend, free health care, and 30 day vacations don't hunger for advancement. THEY'RE LAZY!! lol. And every military general knows he's getting a nice comfy chair as a board member somewhere. it's a system.
  25. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I disagree. He has specifically come out and called teachers lazy and selfish. He has also gone after cops and firefighters as well. Hell....he cut cops in Newark of all places

    Walker and Christie are very different. Christie comes off as a bully. Walker is more polished (personality wise) imo

    Sometimes the truth hurts. Some ARE lazy and selfish.

    A bully is someone who picks on those less powerful.....the unions are by no means, less powerful.


    The problem unions have, especially public employee unions, is the more you complain about your benefits and having to pay more into your retirement, the rest of the population within the private sector arent even sure they can keep their job. Until they realize that, they are on the losing side.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Sometimes the truth hurts. Some ARE lazy and selfish.

    A bully is someone who picks on those less powerful.....the unions are by no means, less powerful.


    The problem unions have, especially public employee unions, is the more you complain about your benefits and having to pay more into your retirement, the rest of the population within the private sector arent even sure they can keep their job. Until they realize that, they are on the losing side.
    I agree, SOME are lazy and selfish, the same as in the private sector. However, as you and I know, to compare public and private sector jobs is ridiculous. At the end of the day, everyone has a choice about what field they want to go in, and to purposely go after those that chose a safer situation is silly. There is greater risk/reward in the private sector. However, the reason that many of us chose private sector jobs was the idea of security, to all of a sudden reopen collective bargaining sets a bad precedent imo. Hell, when things were going well, the unions did not ask to reopen and get more did they?

    To assume that the unions have the sway as the governor and his cronies is ill advised, and his behavior is the quintessential bully routine. He looks downright foolish.

    So keeping this on target with the topic, Christie will not run in 2012, and even if he did, he would not get far. Once his financial situation comes to the forefront (as well as the helicopter to his sons baseball game) he's done.

    I am hopeful that the GOP comes up with someone of relevance that can make this a race, as I am itching to find someone to believe in. I dont think that person is there though.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    At the end of the day, everyone has a choice about what field they want to go in, and to purposely go after those that chose a safer situation is silly. There is greater risk/reward in the private sector. However, the reason that many of us chose private sector jobs was the idea of security, to all of a sudden reopen collective bargaining sets a bad precedent imo. Hell, when things were going well, the unions did not ask to reopen and get more did they?
    Actually when a contract was set to expire soon, the unions very much played heavy handed with extracting maximum benefit. But you are wrong, there isn't both more risk + reward in the private sector, public sector employees are higher paid by education level than private sector, and paid higher per hour worked than public sector.... so they've gotten to where they have less risk, and more reward.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  28. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,581
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I agree, SOME are lazy and selfish, the same as in the private sector. However, as you and I know, to compare public and private sector jobs is ridiculous. At the end of the day, everyone has a choice about what field they want to go in, and to purposely go after those that chose a safer situation is silly. There is greater risk/reward in the private sector. However, the reason that many of us chose private sector jobs was the idea of security, to all of a sudden reopen collective bargaining sets a bad precedent imo. Hell, when things were going well, the unions did not ask to reopen and get more did they?
    In the private sector, its very easy to fire employees. As a teacher in NJ, its not....there is a major difference.

    To assume that the unions have the sway as the governor and his cronies is ill advised, and his behavior is the quintessential bully routine. He looks downright foolish.
    Actually they did in the past...And he looks good to a LOT of people. Some people think the unions need to get bullied around.

    So keeping this on target with the topic, Christie will not run in 2012, and even if he did, he would not get far. Once his financial situation comes to the forefront (as well as the helicopter to his sons baseball game) he's done.
    Nobody cares about his finances....as was the case with Obama....and nobody cares about the helicopter incident...except people who want to make it an issue and would never vote for him anyway. Most of the public could care less.

    I am hopeful that the GOP comes up with someone of relevance that can make this a race, as I am itching to find someone to believe in. I dont think that person is there though.
    Nope..they won't. Romney is a pure politician and Bachman and Perry are both idiots.



    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  29. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

    Actually when a contract was set to expire soon, the unions very much played heavy handed with extracting maximum benefit. But you are wrong, there isn't both more risk + reward in the private sector, public sector employees are higher paid by education level than private sector, and paid higher per hour worked than public sector.... so they've gotten to where they have less risk, and more reward.
    This is wrong. I get paid far less with 2 masters degrees than if I was inure private sector.

    On your example, what happened when the unions played games? Nothing until it expired. That's why what the governor did was legally wrong.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  30. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    This is wrong. I get paid far less with 2 masters degrees than if I was inure private sector.
    not than you would doing the same job in the private sector. Moreso than for educators, i'm talking about just high school graduates working in the public sector though. From the US Dept of Labor

    Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $28.10 per
    hour worked in March 2011. Total employer compensation costs for State and local government
    workers averaged $40.54 per hour worked in March 2011.

    On your example, what happened when the unions played games? Nothing until it expired. That's why what the governor did was legally wrong.[/QUOTE]

    The other option was for the state to declare bankruptcy, rendering all labor contracts null and void then renegotiating from nothing. It was good enough for Obama to do with GM, including stealing money from the bondholders to give to the unions, why isn't it good enough to be used the other way around?
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  31. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    In the private sector, its very easy to fire employees. As a teacher in NJ, its not....there is a major difference.
    Agreed, but I'm a teacher and you need to know part of the reason for things like tenure. Look it IS too hard to get rid of crap teachers, but it's also arguably too easy to get rid of them before tenure. Take me for example, before tenure I could basically be fired if a parent had a significant beef with me or a board member (and I teach at a small school so pissing off a board member enough would be like a death sentence). You don't face that in the private sector. Generally speaking if you do a good job you will keep your job (unless the company goes under). You won't have a board member with an agenda (he gave Johnny a D) or a parent with an agenda colluding with the board member.

    Until the crap system that is school boards running schools is changed then something like tenure is all but going to be necessary. Does it protect some crap teachers? Certainly and it's a crying shame. But it also has kept some of the best teachers ever teaching. Comparing teaching to the private sector is foolish, they have little in common. Keep in mind doctors and lawyers answer to other doctors and lawyers. Teachers answer to citizens who usually have never taught and who often have an agenda.

    Small schools (enrollment around 600 or less) in Kansas generally have 7 board members all of whom usually have agendas. They only run while their kid is in high school, and the vast majority of them have never taught. It isn't anywhere near like the private sector.

    Granted I haven't followed nor know or care about the situation in New Jersey. I did find it sort of ironic that Christie said teachers should have taken a salary freeze to be part of the "shared sacrifice", but doesn't he usually clamor against Obama when he talks of shared sacrifice? The hypocrisy of politicians is sometimes mind numbing.
  32. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    As far as unions go I'm mixed. I'll admit we have a lot of problems stemming from some of them, but let's not forget many of us take for granted things unions gave us. I'm talking safety in the workplace, a 40 hour work week, paid vacation, etc. I'm not saying that they aren't filled with their share of issues, but let's not forget that a lot of us are significantly benefiting from actions in the past by organized workers. We could still have children working 18 hour days if not for some of the actions of organized workers.

    Another thing is as far as I'm aware here the public employees don't have anything that legislators didn't put into law. So to act like they are hijacking it at least here is not really accurate. Shockingly I hear legislators here talking about changing my pension, but I don't hear them talking about changing the pension they have.


    I don't really want to get into the union debate, because a lot of it depends on what union we are talking about and acting as if they are all the same is pretty pointless.
  33. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    Triple post what

    Total employer compensation costs for private industry workers averaged $28.10 per
    hour worked in March 2011. Total employer compensation costs for State and local government
    workers averaged $40.54 per hour worked in March 2011.
    This is pretty misleading. Almost 46 percent of the workers in the private sector have no more than a high school diploma while almost half of the public sector workers have at least a college degree. Your statistics don't mean anything as far as proving his assertion that he would make more in the private sector (though arguably neither would mine as obviously it clearly depends on where he works). I think his point is that the average ceiling is much higher in the private sector for someone as highly educated as himself.
  34. Registered User
    vinnythestick's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    55
    Answers
    0

    Small schools (enrollment around 600 or less) in Kansas generally have 7 board members all of whom usually have agendas. They only run while their kid is in high school, and the vast majority of them have never taught. It isn't anywhere near like the private sector.
    Then why teach? Why work in such a flawed system? Teachers represent the future of the country! In a situation in which I knew my job could be put at risk by someone with an 'agenda', I would leave. This is the reason the public sector is lazy, because there is no pressure. Public sector doesn't have to create a profit, they just need to balance the checkbook. Thats it. Work with a budget. So the senior management is getting baited by business entities, and they just do whatever to stay out of the newspaper, but so long as the money they use this year is in the budget, then they consider themselves god's gift to earth.

    So senior management is lazy, and junior management just falls in line.

    You are perpetuating a broken system. By dealing with it, you enable it. Simple.

    The US military is probably the most wasteful business entity there is. They have been deemed unauditable for several years now, if I read correctly. But they say "oh my god we die for you" and no one complains about them, no one can.

    The structure of the public system enables mediocre success, but I think Christy isn't getting himself anywhere speaking like that.
  35. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by seccsi View Post
    Take me for example, before tenure I could basically be fired if a parent had a significant beef with me or a board member (and I teach at a small school so pissing off a board member enough would be like a death sentence). You don't face that in the private sector. Generally speaking if you do a good job you will keep your job (unless the company goes under).
    Full of incorrect In the private sector, most states have a 90 day probation period - they can fire you for no reason, no recourse for you, no unemployment. Even beyond that, they can fire you for no reason, employment is at will by both parties. Sure you may still be eligible for unemployment but big whoop. And the politics or a pissed off customer are reason enough to fire someone. And who was having the layoffs during the last 5 years? Not public sector employees. Since 2004, total number of federal government employees has grown from 4.1 million to almost 4.5 million, while the private sector has lost jobs. Not sure about state and local though, I can't find anyone who collates them all.

    Tenure occurs far too soon. Perhaps it made sense at the 10 year mark, but 2 years out of college having a job for life (with non contributory pension) unless you ritually sacrifice a child during class is ridiculous.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  36. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Full of incorrect In the private sector, most states have a 90 day probation period - they can fire you for no reason, no recourse for you, no unemployment. Even beyond that, they can fire you for no reason, employment is at will by both parties. Sure you may still be eligible for unemployment but big whoop. And the politics or a pissed off customer are reason enough to fire someone. And who was having the layoffs during the last 5 years? Not public sector employees. Since 2004, total number of federal government employees has grown from 4.1 million to almost 4.5 million, while the private sector has lost jobs. Not sure about state and local though, I can't find anyone who collates them all.

    Tenure occurs far too soon. Perhaps it made sense at the 10 year mark, but 2 years out of college having a job for life (with non contributory pension) unless you ritually sacrifice a child during class is ridiculous.
    Buzz, ding, wrong How many private sector people are firing people who do a great job because of a parent? How many private sector people are firing people because a school board member is mad? Generally speaking if you do a great job in the private sector you will have a job (assuming the company doesn't go under). Sure a boss can fire you for any reason, but the purpose of tenure is to protect the unique nature of the teaching job. And it's usually three years. People bitch about tenure, but it's necessary in a flawed system with school board. Its too difficult to get rid of bad teachers, but let's not act as if the private and public sector are the same in regards to teaching.

    Also it isn't true that teachers have a job for life after 2 (actually three years). You can still get fired for many reasons. Agreed that it is more difficult than it should be (usually) to get rid of crap ones. But part of that is because it is difficult to gauge exactly what makes a good teacher in measurable terms.

    Am I in an alternate reality? Where is all this non contributory pension? Mine certainly isn't, in fact I pay more than my legislators and yet they receive more when they retire. Where are these ideas that big businesses don't hire illegals? Where are all these false ideas coming from? Honestly I don't know where you guys get some of these falsehoods from. Only 31% of public sector employees belong to a union, and pensions average 2.9 percent of state funding according to figures.
  37. Registered User
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    679
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnythestick View Post
    Then why teach? Why work in such a flawed system? Teachers represent the future of the country! In a situation in which I knew my job could be put at risk by someone with an 'agenda', I would leave. This is the reason the public sector is lazy, because there is no pressure. Public sector doesn't have to create a profit, they just need to balance the checkbook. Thats it. Work with a budget. So the senior management is getting baited by business entities, and they just do whatever to stay out of the newspaper, but so long as the money they use this year is in the budget, then they consider themselves god's gift to earth.

    So senior management is lazy, and junior management just falls in line.

    You are perpetuating a broken system. By dealing with it, you enable it. Simple.

    The US military is probably the most wasteful business entity there is. They have been deemed unauditable for several years now, if I read correctly. But they say "oh my god we die for you" and no one complains about them, no one can.

    The structure of the public system enables mediocre success, but I think Christy isn't getting himself anywhere speaking like that.
    I don't know what you do, but I'm pretty sure a lot of systems are flawed. This would be like saying why work at Microsoft because you disagree with the amount of breaks. I teach because I want to teach and I coach because I want to coach. It's what I choose for my career and despite all the flaws I love my job for the most part. I generally look forward to going to work all the time. I'm in a unique position to shape young people's lives. Yeah a lot of things are messed up about it, but anytime you try to educate the entire nation the system is going to be messed up to some extent.

    Unlike businesses I can't get rid of bad product. I can't tell a kid from a broken home to go to hell. I can't not teach a kid because he isn't as smart as others. We have a lot of things wrong with public education, but I wouldn't give up my job for anything in the world. I love it.

    And you really show your complete bias by talking about the public sector being lazy. You know how many people work in the public sector? This would be like saying all auto mechanics are lazy because you know of one. I would put the hour I work during the year up against almost anyone. With football now I'm going to work at least 12 hours a day usually 6 days a week. I'm practicing basketball during Christmas break. I'm watching game tape on Sundays. I'm doing my lesson plans Sunday afternoon because I'm too busy to do them during the week.

    The VAST majority of people in the private or public sector couldn't keep up with me. I have tons of friends working "private sector" jobs who marvel at the amount I work. And you want to talk about me being lazy? You can feel free to keep your myths going (hell other people do), but it doesn't make them true in the least bit. I would love to have the salary and hours of many of my "private sector" friends.

    Yet I wouldn't assume just because I know some private sector people who work less than me that all private sector people work less than me or aren't hard working. Then again I know the problems with making large scale generalizations so I don't do it.
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by seccsi View Post
    Triple post what



    This is pretty misleading. Almost 46 percent of the workers in the private sector have no more than a high school diploma while almost half of the public sector workers have at least a college degree. Your statistics don't mean anything as far as proving his assertion that he would make more in the private sector (though arguably neither would mine as obviously it clearly depends on where he works). I think his point is that the average ceiling is much higher in the private sector for someone as highly educated as himself.
    The ceiling is much higher in the private sector. I used to work in the private sector and in my mid 20s made more than I did teaching in my 30's. That has now changed since I am in admin. However, I made the switch for the security purpose, as I knew the private sector could be uncertain
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,353
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Full of incorrect In the private sector, most states have a 90 day probation period - they can fire you for no reason, no recourse for you, no unemployment. Even beyond that, they can fire you for no reason, employment is at will by both parties. Sure you may still be eligible for unemployment but big whoop. And the politics or a pissed off customer are reason enough to fire someone. And who was having the layoffs during the last 5 years? Not public sector employees. Since 2004, total number of federal government employees has grown from 4.1 million to almost 4.5 million, while the private sector has lost jobs. Not sure about state and local though, I can't find anyone who collates them all.

    Tenure occurs far too soon. Perhaps it made sense at the 10 year mark, but 2 years out of college having a job for life (with non contributory pension) unless you ritually sacrifice a child during class is ridiculous.
    Tenure is dependent on the state. Most states are between 3-5 years (at least in the NE). That is a huge difference from 90 days
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  40. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,868
    Answers
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14
    Tenure is dependent on the state. Most states are between 3-5 years (at least in the NE). That is a huge difference from 90 days
    But in the private sector you can still without cause be laid off at any time, just after 90 days you are eligible for unemployment. And seccsi seems to want to make up reality here that the private sector jobs ate normally for life too, apparently never having worked in the private sector and ignoring what's happened to US employment the last 5 years. Once a teacher hits tenure its a real job for life, with virtually no chance of firing unless they go to jail for something
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. The 2012 bug is catching on!
    By bmcjames in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 442
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 10:35 PM
  2. Mdrol 53426 Oct.2012
    By Nova1723 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
  3. M-DROL batch 52707 MAY 2012.
    By supra888 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 05:08 AM
  4. Ordering A Pizza In 2012
    By purebred in forum Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 07:08 AM
  5. Letter from 2012 in Obama's America
    By David Dunn in forum Politics
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in