Is the new "Tanning Tax" racist?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.45%

Is the new "Tanning Tax" racist?

Its not yall, I looked it up:

The Federal government CAN impose a tax on a product or service who's customer base is of one ethnicity so long as its White.

All kidding aside, I know this was not racially motivated legislation but can any of you imagine the backlash if a tax was placed on something that only Blacks use? The ACLU would have already filed the papers and Sharpton and Jackson would be on every news station.

Full article: Health care bill imposes 10% tax on tanning salon customers - Mar. 24, 2010

Oh yeah, please do not respond to tell me about the Black guy you knew who tanned a couple of times before a competition, we all know that 99.99% of the people who tan on a regular bases are white.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    4.81%

Very true and its BS if you ask me
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.34%

not true, almost all my female Hispanic friends tan
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Yes i know hispanic, white and asians who all use tanning so it's not exclusively a what product.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

not exclusively, but it is mostly white.

Honestly though...I only see "sluts" and "douch-men", or just idiots as people who go tanning at the beds...so it makes sense lol. But Too much tax already, too much control.

Then again...The sun is still there, right? Lord forbid you actually have to be outside to get your guido or slut tan goin....
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.49%

Not all blacks have dark skin either, some who are not dark also like to tan.

Lame try at trying to make it racial, I guess you never bothered to get to know anyone who is non-white.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    66.22%

If this effects the next season of Jersey Shore I'm going to run for office.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Ok...let's put a tax on cocoa butter. Deal?
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.9%

this part of legislation was probly not racially motivated, but imagine the hell if there was a National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People?

(Btw i am not racist in any way, i have many multi-racial friends)
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.45%

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobRage View Post
    not true, almost all my female Hispanic friends tan
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedup View Post
    Yes i know hispanic, white and asians who all use tanning so it's not exclusively a what product.
    And my favorite:
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Not all blacks have dark skin either, some who are not dark also like to tan. Lame try at trying to make it racial, I guess you never bothered to get to know anyone who is non-white.

OMFG you guys! Way to go with your ability to sniff out the sarcasm in my post

Im now taking a deep breath and reminding myself that im on "teh interwebz" and regardless of the statements in my post such as, "I know this legislation is not racially motivated" and the 99 percent thing, and about Blacks tanning before competitions thing, I have to remember that some of you will see the title, skim what I wrote, take from it whatever distorted view you want and then basically respond to the title.

First, my post was to point out that when the goverment tries to regulate something, if that something can be attributed to one ethnicity primarily using it, it would be called racist even though there was NO racially motivated agenda behind it. Example? How about welfare reform? All the Libs, Sharpton, Jackson and every other loser that wouldnt have a job unless they can keep people angry called it racist..........EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE MORE WHITE PEOPLE ON WELFARE THAN BLACKS.(yes, I know the percentage is lower but the total numbers are higher)

And second, the hypocrisy of the above mentioned civil rights activists and related organizations who should be screaming that these taxes are racist because according to their metrics they certainly are.

So once again, I know tanning bed taxes ARE NOT RACIST, I do not believe in conspiracy theories. I also know that SOME Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and my ex-wife who is Iranian use tanning beds but I would argue that across the country, 99% of regular tanning customers are white. But maybe im wrong? Maybe its 95%, maybe its 90%............maybe its 80%.

So here's a question: If Black people made up 80% of the customer base of a certain product or service, and the federal government led by a white president decided to impose a special tax on that product or service, do you think the ACLU, NAACP or the media would call it racist?
    a) yes
    b) no

And to Mr. Pool Shark: Does assuming you know things about people you've never met make you look:
    a) more credible
    b) less credible
    c) no change
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.91%

I can honestly say I dont remember the last time I heard about racism in the media up here in Canada..

That being sayed my opinion may be slightly skewered as I have never had to deal with a racial issue. But I dont think that imposing a tax on tanning is racist, or has anything to do with racism. If anything, raising the question "Is this rasict?" is racist.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.93%

Quote Originally Posted by iron fists View Post
    not to defend the bill..but tanning beds increase risk of skin cancer 75-80 %..imo..if they need more tax money: tax the smokers more, have an obesity tax, and make welfare leaches take drug tests to remain on the cheese.
    I agree on all points here. I still don't understand why cigs aren't like 20$ a pack. They should also tax the crap out of fast food, making it cheaper to serve healthy items.

Quote Originally Posted by Vtaper View Post
    And my favorite:

OMFG you guys! Way to go with your ability to sniff out the sarcasm in my post

Im now taking a deep breath and reminding myself that im on "teh interwebz" and regardless of the statements in my post such as, "I know this legislation is not racially motivated" and the 99 percent thing, and about Blacks tanning before competitions thing, I have to remember that some of you will see the title, skim what I wrote, take from it whatever distorted view you want and then basically respond to the title.

First, my post was to point out that when the goverment tries to regulate something, if that something can be attributed to one ethnicity primarily using it, it would be called racist even though there was NO racially motivated agenda behind it. Example? How about welfare reform? All the Libs, Sharpton, Jackson and every other loser that wouldnt have a job unless they can keep people angry called it racist..........EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE MORE WHITE PEOPLE ON WELFARE THAN BLACKS.(yes, I know the percentage is lower but the total numbers are higher)

And second, the hypocrisy of the above mentioned civil rights activists and related organizations who should be screaming that these taxes are racist because according to their metrics they certainly are.

So once again, I know tanning bed taxes ARE NOT RACIST, I do not believe in conspiracy theories. I also know that SOME Blacks, Hispanics, Asians and my ex-wife who is Iranian use tanning beds but I would argue that across the country, 99% of regular tanning customers are white. But maybe im wrong? Maybe its 95%, maybe its 90%............maybe its 80%.

So here's a question: If Black people made up 80% of the customer base of a certain product or service, and the federal government led by a white president decided to impose a special tax on that product or service, do you think the ACLU, NAACP or the media would call it racist?
    a) yes
    b) no

And to Mr. Pool Shark: Does assuming you know things about people you've never met make you look:
    a) more credible
    b) less credible
    c) no change
    I feel you on this one. People are retarded and that tax is complete bull (no I do not go tanning myself). Oh and for the record I'm half hispanic.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

not to defend the bill..but tanning beds increase risk of skin cancer 75-80 %..imo..if they need more tax money: tax the smokers more, have an obesity tax, and make welfare leaches take drug tests to remain on the cheese.
    Wow... that is quite the egregious tax plan there.
    The Historic PES Legend
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.93%

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSid View Post
    I can honestly say I dont remember the last time I heard about racism in the media up here in Canada..

That being sayed my opinion may be slightly skewered as I have never had to deal with a racial issue. But I dont think that imposing a tax on tanning is racist, or has anything to do with racism. If anything, raising the question "Is this rasict?" is racist.
    I just think they're are better things to tax BEFORE taxing this.

ie- fast food, tobacco, alchohol, soda, candy, etc...

^^ these things are what's killing americans and who can blame them for getting addicted to these things when they're so well advertised and cheaply priced.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    I just think they're are better things to tax BEFORE taxing this.

ie- fast food, tobacco, alchohol, soda, candy, etc...

^^ these things are what's killing americans and who can blame them for getting addicted to these things when they're so well advertised and cheaply priced.
    That is quite the attack on the ability for American Choice.

I see everyone attacking obesity and different foods as the primary attack on our health care costs, and that is just a red herring propagated by the left.

Considering our health care is predominantly inflated by the aging baby boomers, do we now tax "Old"?
    The Historic PES Legend
  16. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Not in the least. If the federal government is going to give tax credits for health insurance plans, then it should take in that money from things that contribute negatively to health to pay for it, not just take it from people who "already have enough money"
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.93%

ok well maybe the obesity tax wouldn't be doable but the drug tests for welfare should have been there from the start.
  18. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Considering our health care is predominantly inflated by the aging baby boomers, do we now tax "Old"?
    No because eveyone gets old, not everyone gets morbidly obese. Getting obese is something you can avoid, getting old is something you can't other than by dying young.

this hog

is trying to reach 1000lbs just to break the worlds record.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Not in the least. If the federal government is going to give tax credits for health insurance plans, then it should take in that money from things that contribute negatively to health to pay for it, not just take it from people who "already have enough money"
    So redistribution of wealth? The tax credits are not some magical being that has no impact on our budgetary constraints.

Like I said.. do we tax old now?
    The Historic PES Legend
  20. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

ok well maybe the obesity tax wouldn't be doable but the drug tests for welfare should have been there from the start.
    I have been in support of this for a good decade now. Anyone that placates the system should have consequences.
    The Historic PES Legend
  21. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

No because eveyone gets old, not everyone gets morbidly obese. Getting obese is something you can avoid, getting old is something you can't other than by dying young.

this hog

Why not though, My grandfather is in late stages of alzeheimers... i am sure it is some type of life style choice he made that led him to it, so why not tax him for his choices?
    The Historic PES Legend
  22. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%

Why not though, My grandfather is in late stages of alzeheimers... i am sure it is some type of life style choice he made that led him to it, so why not tax him for his choices?
    If we have evidence that there is a lifestyle choice that led to alzheimers then taxing the source of that lifestyle (lets for laughs say it was pepto bismol use) makes sense. Not taxing the individual, but taxing the choices. If something is going to lead to future government paid for health care, then taxing it to pay for that health care makes sense.

I only think any of this is reasonable because the douchebag democrats passed that miserable sucky health care bill and as it stands gutting medicare and wealth redistribution are totally unreasonable ways to finance it.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.93%

this hog

What's really funny about this pic is she's drinking DIET crush!!
  24. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

If we have evidence that there is a lifestyle choice that led to alzheimers then taxing the source of that lifestyle (lets for laughs say it was pepto bismol use) makes sense. Not taxing the individual, but taxing the choices. If something is going to lead to future government paid for health care, then taxing it to pay for that health care makes sense.

I only think any of this is reasonable because the douchebag democrats passed that miserable sucky health care bill and as it stands gutting medicare and wealth redistribution are totally unreasonable ways to finance it.
    I can see your point, that since health care was passed, this is required. I am still against any progressive egregious tax regardless of the health care bill. But as you can imagine my take is still severely against the health care act.

The problem with these taxes people are coming up with, is how extremely progressive in nature they will become. Lets look at the history of financial projections shall we?

In 1965, the House Ways and Means Committee estimated that the hospital insurance program of Medicare – the federal health care program for the elderly and disabled – would cost $9 billion by 1990. The actual cost that year was $67 billion.
    In 1967, the House Ways and Means Committee said the entire Medicare program would cost $12 billion in 1990. The actual cost in 1990 was $98 billion.
    In 1987, Congress projected that Medicaid – the joint federal-state health care program for the poor – would make special relief payments to hospitals of less than $1 billion in 1992. Actual cost: $17 billion.
    The 1993 cost of Medicare’s home care benefit was projected in 1988 to be $4 billion, but ended up at $10 billion.
    As hideous as the actual 1990’s numbers turned out to be, note that the 2009 Medicare budget was a crushing $425 billion, and total unfunded liabilities for the program currently stand at an indisputably ruinous $75 TRILLION.
    A few pennies on soda will not make up the difference if history tells any kind of story.

Now how about this industry with regard to Alzheimers. Some companies are actually selling L-Dopa in their products. Now if that person does develop alzheimers in the future, and the cheap l-dopa doesn't work for them, the health care cost will go even higher because of advanced care that person will require... shall we tax supplements even higher now? How about the hormonal lines out there that we know are hazardous... or better yet, all these stimulant products out there that cause heart palpitations. If we tax everything that has a possibility to be bad for someone, might as well enact the fair tax act, because that is going to be what it takes.
    The Historic PES Legend
  25. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

What's really funny about this pic is she's drinking DIET crush!!
    Haha... nice catch.. wouldn't want all that bad sugar... all that insulin desensitization might lead to diabetes!
    The Historic PES Legend
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.5%

Of course we should tax old people! We should also go the other way as well. Tax newborns! Everybody is going to cost the healthcare system money, so might as well be fair and tax them all right from the get-go.

Then we can tax cigarettes more (even though they've tripled in price in the last 15 years.

Then, we'll tax Crisco. I mean, tax the hell out of that sh*t. It's UN-F*CKING-HEALTHY.

Every fifth of liquor will have a $20 tax added. Add $5 tax to each beer.

Tax soda and fruit juice.

Tax diet soda too--just in case those artificial sweeteners cause cancer!

Tax going outside (THE SUN GIVES YOU CANCER).

Tax those dirty romance novels without question.

Tax the Harry Potter books--and movies.

Tax thongs and any sort of generally slutty clothing (this will reduce STD's).

I'm sure I'm missing a few things, somebody help me out here!
  27. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.75%

What ever happened to personal responsibility? This is what happens when the government tries to subsidies poor choices, we all pay for the poor choices.
  28. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

Quote Originally Posted by wontstop985 View Post
    Of course we should tax old people! We should also go the other way as well. Tax newborns! Everybody is going to cost the healthcare system money, so might as well be fair and tax them all right from the get-go.

Then we can tax cigarettes more (even though they've tripled in price in the last 15 years.

Then, we'll tax Crisco. I mean, tax the hell out of that sh*t. It's UN-F*CKING-HEALTHY.

Every fifth of liquor will have a $20 tax added. Add $5 tax to each beer.

Tax soda and fruit juice.

Tax diet soda too--just in case those artificial sweeteners cause cancer!

Tax going outside (THE SUN GIVES YOU CANCER).

Tax those dirty romance novels without question.

Tax the Harry Potter books--and movies.

Tax thongs and any sort of generally slutty clothing (this will reduce STD's).

I'm sure I'm missing a few things, somebody help me out here!
    I think you forgot breathing, the EPA just announced recently that carbon dioxide is hazardous to your health, so cap your CD emissions by stop breathing.... wait, stopping breathing is hazardous to your health as well, so how about we taxes those who do breath, and those that hold their breath!
    The Historic PES Legend
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.5%

Actually, wealth redistribution is a totally reasonable way to finance it. If you haven't noticed, Federal taxes ARE wealth redistribution. I'm fairly certain that almost every sovereign state in the entire world uses this technique. It has been common practice for hundreds (if not thousands) of years.

For the record, I do not support the health care bill and believe that the Federal government should be made smaller (less spending, less taxes), not larger.
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.08%

I am starting to think think we made the wrong choice with Obama. I am not trying to start an argument, but everytime I open up the paper or go online I read something crazy.

Because the Botax was expected to generate $5.8 billion, more than double the amount the tanning tax is projected to raise, many tanning industry professionals are furious about the switch, arguing that while the tanning tax targets middle-class, women-owned businesses, the Botax would mainly impact wealthier Americans who would be more able to handle higher prices.
    And the rich get richer as the poor get poorer.

And how are they going to act like there is no risk in implants. Give me a break.
  31. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.5%

I think you forgot breathing, the EPA just announced recently that carbon dioxide is hazardous to your health, so cap your CD emissions by stop breathing.... wait, stopping breathing is hazardous to your health as well, so how about we taxes those who do breath, and those that hold their breath!
    Maybe the government could distribute O2 tanks for daily use. If you use more than your daily allotment of O2, YOU PAY BIG TAXES MOTHERF*CKER! Also, heavily tax the sale of the tanks. And the breathing tubes.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.5%

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyIOSOS View Post
    I am starting to think think we made the wrong choice with Obama. I am not trying to start an argument, but everytime I open up the paper or go online I read something crazy.

And the rich get richer as the poor get poorer.

And how are they going to act like there is no risk in implants. Give me a break.
    There should be a tax on being poor. And a tax on homelessness.
  33. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

It is a hazard to your health.
    The Historic PES Legend
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.08%

The way things are looking, poor might be a household making under 100k. We are all going to get taxed.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Some words of wisdom for the weary, from the mind of CT native Seth Mcfarlane:

Angela: I have nothing to live for.
    Peter: Sure you do. Someday a white man's gonna be elected President again.
  36. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Some words of wisdom for the weary, from the mind of CT native Seth Mcfarlane:

Angela: I have nothing to live for.
    Peter: Sure you do. Someday a white man's gonna to be elected President again.
    pppphhhhhtttt still white or black has nothing to do with it. if Bill Cosby ran for election in 2012 I'd be campaigning for him. Common sense vs nonsense.
  37. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.07%

whereas obesity can be reversed, entirely prevented, and has no genetic predispostion.
    Revise your information. the INSIG2 gene has been identified as the leading proponent for obesity. So now how do we weed out the genetically halted?
    The Historic PES Legend
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.45%

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSid View Post

Sir, you are not helping Canada's stock. You just responded to a respone of mine who's subject was that people were reading my post wrong...............and then you read THAT wrong!!!! Is this a ****ing joke? Is April fools day March 29th in Canada?

For the last gotdamn time, MY POST WAS TONGUE-IN-CHEEK

"If anything, raising the question Is this racist is racist" Oh lord help us. Jean Chrétien must be spinnin' in his grave. Oh wait, he aint dead.

So please s-l-o-w-l-y re-read my other 2 posts in this thread and try not to hurt yourself using the roller ball and back button.

Oh Snap, I just had another brilliant idea! Lets do a full page tangent on me ribbing you for the Canada thing. (I happen to love Canada and was in Ontario last week <---- Molson Ice or Labbatt? Me likey either way)
  39. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%

and if bill cosby ran for president alot of black people would be upset because he calls them out on their own ignorance and puts the blame on them making them responsible for themselves and be accountable rather than blaming everyone else....the whiteman.
    hence part of why i'd campaign for him. He would be a real personal responsibility candidate.
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.36%

Gents, this is only the beginning, this tanning tax is but a grain of sand in the ocean.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
  3. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM
  4. Replies: 144
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
  5. Replies: 260
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM