Sarah Palin: 20/20 Interview

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anybody watched this particular piece (two-episodes)?

I apparently missed the initial interview, but am now watching the second portion. It was almost painful to watch her dodge the question:

"What are the three specific things you would reform about the Bush Economic Policy?"

However, one question does not necessarily invalidate her; that being said, she seems to be incredibly tentative to reveal any specifics whatsoever on her fiscal positions.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I don't think any candidate would really get into specifics. Don't ya think?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What's a Bush Doctrine?

/math is hard!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think any candidate would really get into specifics. Don't ya think?
I would think an unknown Governor, with unknown and questioned policy stances, being consistently slandered in the media would reassure her excited potential voters by showing some measure of specificity.

For example, Charles Gibson questioned, "Let me ask you again: What are three things you will do to reform the Bush Economic Policy?"; she then went on to speak about 'efficiencies' without making specific mention to a single government division, agency, or fiscal policy. She did this until the question was repeated four times. Even when she gave specifics, they were oxymoronically vague and ambiguous.

Incredibly unconvincing, IMO. I am not stating that from a bi-partisan position, either. I would suggest you watch now or YouTube this episode. I was and am highly interested in hearing her policy stances beyond a RNC speech which has been rehashed dozens of times in different locales.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's a Bush Doctrine?

/math is hard!
this was my favorite, she had no clue whatsoever about the Bush Doctrine. It cracked me up. She is there for eye candy, sad to say. CNN had a poll about Palin and male approval for her and female approval. Over 63% of males approved and only 51% of females approved. Damn, I cannot imagine why men would approve. Some VBP boobage?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America - let's get that straight," Biden said testily after a voter said he was "very pleased" that Democratic nominee Barack Obama had chosen him instead of Clinton.

"She is qualified to be President of the United States of America, she's easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America and, quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me," the Delaware senator added forcefully. "I mean that sincerely, she is first- rate."

But hey, at least he didn't dodge the question :thumbsup:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you gotta give Biden this, he does tell you what is on his mind, without holding back. That is refreshing for politics.

I would love to see Palin say something similar: "Romney? Oh he was highly qualified, and would have made a great President let a lone VP, probably better than me". That at least would be honest

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you gotta give Biden this, he does tell you what is on his mind, without holding back. That is refreshing for politics.

I would love to see Palin say something similar: "Romney? Oh he was highly qualified, and would have made a great President let a lone VP, probably better than me". That at least would be honest
I think she lost some of her honest, spontaneous appeal last night with her awkwardly delivered canned answers.

I also thought it was hilarious she could not even name any specific components about the Bush Fiscal Policy. Despite all the unfortunate and unfair rhetoric being slung in her direction, I now feel the label of 'unqualified' may be appropriate.

My favorite as I said above, was her comparison of the necessities of Vice Presidential position with the necessities of her Mayoral position.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think she lost some of her honest, spontaneous appeal last night with her awkwardly delivered canned answers.

I also thought it was hilarious she could not even name any specific components about the Bush Fiscal Policy. Despite all the unfortunate and unfair rhetoric being slung in her direction, I now feel the label of 'unqualified' may be appropriate.

My favorite as I said above, was her comparison of the necessities of Vice Presidential position with the necessities of her Mayoral position.
In terms of qualifications, I agree she is a stretch, but thus far she has helped. I do think she will struggle when asked to go off script as we saw on 20/20. I am interested in the debate on 10/2, I really want to see how she does and How loose lips Biden treats her

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Let's not forget how terrible Obama is at non tele-prompt speeches. Now each side will look equally as stupid.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's not forget how terrible Obama is at non tele-prompt speeches. Now each side will look equally as stupid.
He stumbles and bumbles, but at least he has a grasp on policy. I wasn't necessarily saying her oratory skills are inadequate, just that she does not have the knowledge.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
How terrible is he, he DOES answer the questions that are asked of him in a distinct and forthright manner. I'm sorry that you have a problem with him thinking before he opens his mouth. You may not like what he says but he is fully in charge of what he wishes you to know not some puppet master behind the curtain that missed a couple of hand signals.

:bruce3:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
mullet - you gotta appreciate this snippet from the daily show. anyone who watches the news and expects it to give democrats a chance only really sees that when there's a democrat in office. opinions like the ones below are the reason i gave up on the republican party.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I had seen that; simply amazing.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He stumbles and bumbles, but at least he has a grasp on policy. I wasn't necessarily saying her oratory skills are inadequate, just that she does not have the knowledge.

I guess you missed it when Obama said the UN should sanction Russia over the Georgia affair....not knowing that Russia has veto power. He had a real grasp on policy.

:lol:

Both Obama and Palin share in the same phenomenon. They are inexperienced when it comes to foreign policy but people give them a free ride and will assume they can learn enough in a short period to deal with any situation. Both candidates simply make voters "feel good". Anyone saying Obama has enough international experience is smoking the same pipe as the person who says Palin has enough international experience.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess you missed it when Obama said the UN should sanction Russia over the Georgia affair....not knowing that Russia has veto power. He had a real grasp on policy.

:lol:
That was funny, but unless you want to turn this into the 'Spin Zone', I think even you can admit Palin's grasp on policy is horrendous; simply not adequate whatsoever.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was funny, but unless you want to turn this into the 'Spin Zone', I think even you can admit Palin's grasp on policy is horrendous; simply not adequate whatsoever.
Depends on what policy. THe economic policy was basicallly a trick question since Bush never really did anything but a tax cut. Thats about it. Foreign policy? I expect to her know the same as Clinton did as governor. It simply isn't their job. People don't understand that the first person to claim the national guard was national security experience was...Bill Clinton. Ol' slick willy pulled it off :)

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
I haven't seen the interview, but I heard a lot of the talking heads talking about it. From what I heard, she was given difficult questions. Also typically, when a politician gives an evasive response to a question, they may get pressed once. Pressing four times is not the norm whatsoever. I don't think Barry or Biden would have got the same treatment.

That being said, I think its a fair critique. However, if Americans wanted a policy guru in there they'd vote in a college professor. Americans want someone that they can relate to and they feel represents them.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I said above, Obama and Palin will get a free pass from the voters simply because both make people "feel good". If you give someone the sense of optimism, denial kicks in pretty quick.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
so much for afghanistan, or 9/11, desert storm, gulf war.... georgia is the first international crisis since the cold war according to mccain. in the terms of foreign policy they're both a little slow...

Think Progress » McCain: Georgia conflict is the ‘first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.’

in addition: We will not repeat a Cold War," Palin said. But she said she favored including Georgia and Ukraine, former Soviet republics, in NATO despite opposition by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Asked whether the United States would have to go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia, and the tiny country was part of NATO, Palin said: "Perhaps so."

from : Palin open to war if Russia invades a NATO-allied Georgia

how many fronts can we afford to fight? we already don't have enough troops to finish what we started in afghanistan, and now she wants to start a third front to the war? oh, thats right, i forgot that iraq was "mission accomplished" 5 years ago according to the republicans. guess so long as its not their family members dying overseas, who cares?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
so much for afghanistan, or 9/11, desert storm, gulf war.... georgia is the first international crisis since the cold war according to mccain. in the terms of foreign policy they're both a little slow...

Think Progress » McCain: Georgia conflict is the ‘first serious crisis internationally since the end of the Cold War.’
Pretty sure he meant first international crisis with Russia since the Cold War. I think you'd be hard pressed to show that McCain isn't well versed in foreign policy.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I'm sure they all are. :rolleyes:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

in addition: We will not repeat a Cold War," Palin said. But she said she favored including Georgia and Ukraine, former Soviet republics, in NATO despite opposition by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. Asked whether the United States would have to go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia, and the tiny country was part of NATO, Palin said: "Perhaps so."

how many fronts can we afford to fight? we already don't have enough troops to finish what we started in afghanistan, and now she wants to start a third front to the war? oh, thats right, i forgot that iraq was "mission accomplished" 5 years ago according to the republicans. guess so long as its not their family members dying overseas, who cares?

Are you really this desperate? You do understand she took the same position as Obama/Biden?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established

Wow, get the context right. They asked if she supported Georgia and Ukraine in NATO. Then they asked if Georgia was attacked whether the US would have to come to their aid and she said that under the terms of NATO's alliance they would have to.

Read what it means to be a NATO member. It means that you are in an military alliance with other NATO nations. Therefore if a NATO nation is attacked, you are obligated to come to their aid.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, get the context right. They asked if she supported Georgia and Ukraine in NATO. Then they asked if Georgia was attacked whether the US would have to come to their aid and she said that under the terms of NATO's alliance they would have to.

Read what it means to be a NATO member. It means that you are in an military alliance with other NATO nations. Therefore if a NATO nation is attacked, you are obligated to come to their aid.

Facts get in the way ;)

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Are you really this desperate? You do understand she took the same position as Obama/Biden?
yes, but the republicans are the only ones that want us operating heavily in multiple countries at once.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yes, but the republicans are the only ones that want us operating heavily in multiple countries at once.
Where the hell are you talking about?

...and more importantly, what the hell are you talking about?

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
The democrats won a lot of seats in congress in 2006 saying this. What have they done about it in the last two years?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The democrats won a lot of seats in congress in 2006 saying this. What have they done about it in the last two years?
Won a war? Doh...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Where the hell are you talking about?

...and more importantly, what the hell are you talking about?
iraq, afghanistan, mccain suggesting how to start a war with iran, now adding russia into the fray? insanity.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Whats next? You don't like her hair?
lol... she's pretty hot. i like her hair...

incidentally, i speak as someone who has held a TS SCI from the US Army, and i don't think we can fight on that many fronts. personal opinion though. all we really need as far as iran or russia is concerned is for them to look at pakistan or n.korea and say "you're next, lets just get together now..."

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
iraq, afghanistan, mccain suggesting how to start a war with iran, now adding russia into the fray? insanity.

Yeah..I'm voting for him so he can do just that. I can't wait. Its going to be great.

:fool2:

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
hey... cheater. mr peterman.. doesn't show that you're online... not playing fairsies...

seriously though, i think we're in a mess right now, and going from previous republican figures and their actions i think they seem to be warmongers. each one in recent past had their own war. and the one coming up next i don't think we can afford to get into.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Palin's son's job to guard his commanders in Iraq - Yahoo! NewsPalin's son's job to guard his commanders in Iraq - Yahoo! News

He's going to Iraq for a year of his life. Everyone over there is in harms way. Mortars, IEDs, RPGs, terrorist attacks all over, just less frequently in some areas. I don't understand how you diminish what that young man is doing on behalf of his country.
i would never do that robinkuwait. i don't think he'll see combat is my opinion. time will tell if i'm wrong though. i'd never belittle someone for believing in serving this country.

edit: what branch you in rob?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vote for warmongers. I vote Republican.

I like it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lol. you're on the other side of the fence then. agree to disagree.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Palin is a warmonger too.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Palin is a warmonger too.
republicans and their legacies.

ford putting hussein in power
regan and the cold war
george sr and iraq
current "curious george" and iraq
mccain / palin and ....?

democrats do bad things too, but not so much in foreign countries, and its the world image of us that we have to change. in my opinion of course.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
i would never do that robinkuwait. i don't think he'll see combat is my opinion. time will tell if i'm wrong though. i'd never belittle someone for believing in serving this country.
I'm just saying, the gist of your post was that the republicans were detached from the wars because they have no personal connection to the Soldiers over there. The fact that Palin has to worry about her son every day for a year shows she's personally invested in this war.

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
republicans and their legacies.

ford putting hussein in power- Not sure who thinks thats his legacy

reagan and the cold war- Reagan's legacy was ENDING the cold war.

george sr and iraq- This war was unavoidable for anyone.

current "curious george" and iraq- I'll give you Iraq was avoidable, but Afghanistan certainly was not.

Funny how you forget:

Nixon- Got us out of Vietnam. I should add that Democrats got us there.

WW1 and WW2 were both Dems.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
I'm just saying, the gist of your post was that the republicans were detached from the wars because they have no personal connection to the Soldiers over there. The fact that Palin has to worry about her son every day for a year shows she's personally invested in this war.
time will tell if he ever sees combat. the ironic thing is that if mccain wins, then palin's son will be forced stateside according to policy.