Electronic BF Tester at Gym got me at 28%!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Electronic BF Tester at Gym got me at 28%!!


    I go to Gold's Gym and I asked a personal trainer there if they'd give me a body fat % test, so they asked my height, weighed me, and gave me an electronic thing to hold in my hand. It came back with 28%. I'm thinking this is way high.

    My pics are below, any estimates...
    Attached Images Attached Images   


  2. i'd say 22%

  3. That sounds alot better than 28%!

    Those electronic BF thingies seem pretty useless.
    •   
       


  4. There are so many variables that impact the impedance machines: hydration, where you hold it, etc. They can be accurate if you use them on a consistent basis, but it must be under the exact same conditions every time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. Does 22% look right to you Rodja?

  6. 25% tops.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    25% tops.
    Ouch....a lean 25% right?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Ouch....a lean 25% right?
    A huge 25%. Just getting back to the gym consistently will get you to the high teens relatively soon.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  9. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    A huge 25%. Just getting back to the gym consistently will get you to the high teens relatively soon.
    I wish that were the case, I've been hitting the gym and eating clean religously for the past couple of months. I started at 285 got down to 275 in a couple of weeks, and have hit a roadblock at 275 and haven't made any improvements since early April.

    My lifts are mostly back up though, which is nice.

  10. Sounds like insulin issues. Try no carb for a few weeks to shake up the insulin insensitivity.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by diminuendo View Post
    Sounds like insulin issues. Try no carb for a few weeks to shake up the insulin insensitivity.

    I've been doing the Anabolic Diet for the last few weeks. I posted my diet in the weight loss section.

  12. PPAR-alpha supplements (SesaThin, DCP) would also be a good idea to help with VAT burning.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. i lost alot more bodyfat when i found a gym that didnt have an A/C. stickit to the man... mom and pop gyms foe sure!

  14. Ive got a scale for BW and BF but i'm pretty sure its off. If I go on it at night it used to say 19%, but if i go on in the morning it'd say 24%.

    Now it just always says 20% although i've maintained my weight and increased my lifts/size

  15. Thanks for the input guys...

    What do you guys think about the velocity diet? I think I may give that a go.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by DreamOfWeight View Post
    i lost alot more bodyfat when i found a gym that didnt have an A/C. stickit to the man... mom and pop gyms foe sure!

    lol

  17. Screw measuring bodyfat. Use a mirror, if you are happy with what you see, well then be happy. Measuring bodyfat is just pointless. You can use a mirror and be more than happy with the changes you see.

  18. what BF do u think i am?
    Looking for feedback on my body

  19. Well depending on where you go...the trainers test on the high side to shock you in to buying training sessions.

  20. I hate those electric things...

    I used one in the condition in my avatar/gallery and it told me I had 24% bodyfat.

    I'm thinking probably not quite right... I'm not exactly experienced in it but i'd say I was/am looking more like 12%.

  21. The one I use at my gym gives me a 7.5% BF... doing a skinfold analysis I am at ~9.5%.

    There are many factors as Rodja said... although hydration seems to impact it the most. Go to the gym thirtsy, test it, then slug water your whole work out and test it again when you leave.. you'll see a big difference.
  22. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Thanks for the input guys...

    What do you guys think about the velocity diet? I think I may give that a go.
    Try the lifestyle diet. It is a consistent healthy nutrition plan that is based around your carb or insulin sensitivity, your protein and fat requirements, and is not a diet. It is a way of living. All you do to reduce weight or fat is reduce the calories and to gain lbm increase the calories. Life more abundantly.
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

    Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

    I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by Genetic79 View Post
    Well depending on where you go...the trainers test on the high side to shock you in to buying training sessions.

    yeah i sense a little Dodgeball White Goodman going on. ya no when he told the guy to add 3 lbs to the scales in the women's locker room.

  24. go to the doctor and get it done if costs 5 dollars and takes literally like 5 min well worth it in my opinion

  25. you might want to lower your calories to say 2500 per day, and try a total body workout three times a week. my old workout partner lost two inches off his waist doing the workout 6 times, and restricting carbs (which you're already doing).

    the rest of his weight was stubborn. took much longer to come off.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    you might want to lower your calories to say 2500 per day, and try a total body workout three times a week. my old workout partner lost two inches off his waist doing the workout 6 times, and restricting carbs (which you're already doing).

    the rest of his weight was stubborn. took much longer to come off.
    This is an old thread, I'm right around 20% now and have lost 3 inches off my waist since this thread. I'll post new pics soon.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by tdez View Post
    go to the doctor and get it done if costs 5 dollars and takes literally like 5 min well worth it in my opinion
    Doctors do BF% testing?

  28. www.bodpod.com They do a fairly accurate one.

  29. wow. this is an old thread. post up new pics to keep it fresh!!

  30. dont let these dudes fool you. you are no more than 17% or so. not at 20% yet.

  31. Quote Originally Posted by DT5 View Post
    dont let these dudes fool you. you are no more than 17% or so. not at 20% yet.
    What makes you say that?

    The Electronic BF% machine got me at 23% last week, and has got me as low as 21%. I think I'm near 20%, but I really have no way of knowing.

  32. I think everyone's just being kind to you! Not intending to offend, but I'd say 28% (for your old photo) is most likely spot on. Have a look at my log. I'm starting off at around the high 20s and currently on 18% or so now. There are progress photos and I'll be putting more up in the next couple of days.

    Do you have any sticky tape? Cub's ripped!

  33. Quote Originally Posted by DT5 View Post
    dont let these dudes fool you. you are no more than 17% or so. not at 20% yet.
    He is at least 20%. I liked the 22% est. Those bf indicators are for people who are considered obese. Especially when the conditions of measurement have to be so specific. They can be off as much as 6% either way. IE, if it reads 28%, then you could be either 22%, or 34%. They are not very accurate at all. If you wanted a better measurement, go with a caliper. What I do is go down to our local university, they have a tank there. The charge $20 to get dipped and it's accurate within .1% or something crazy.

  34. It's also based on the water you intake, because it sends electrical current thru your body to give you a # and you're def around 25% - 30% is obese lol.

  35. This sh*t works pretty good and it only cost $15 delivered at your house

    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1231191952&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Tester: Health & Personal Care[/ame]
  36. BamaGuy1024
    BamaGuy1024's Avatar

    Isn't there a more accurate way to read body fat percentage? Don't I remember an immersion technique?

  37. Quote Originally Posted by BamaGuy1024 View Post
    Isn't there a more accurate way to read body fat percentage? Don't I remember an immersion technique?
    Bod Pod and "dunk tank" are your best options.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  38. as stated before those electronic ones arent very accurate way to many variables. Only true way to find out is the water displacement test. If you continue to use it though you can monitor loses and gains of BF if used regularly

  39. thats not 28 no way trust me i know 28 and more

  40. Quote Originally Posted by MattRoeske View Post
    It's also based on the water you intake, because it sends electrical current thru your body to give you a # and you're def around 25% - 30% is obese lol.
    There is no way that he is 5% from obese.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Electronic ciggerette log
    By bpchampion in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 08:22 AM
  2. electronic fat tester accuracy?
    By illgixxer in forum Bulking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 07:46 PM
  3. electronic cigarettes
    By medic620 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 12:44 AM
  4. Electronic Muscular Stimulators?
    By asap nutrition in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Log in
Log in