Tall Skinny Dude Working to get BIG

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
So usually you're big and you want to get lean and you hate the skinny dudes because you think you could bulk that skinny body up easily, or your a skinny dude that can eat a house and not gain a pound and you envy the big dudes because you think you can cut easily. That has been my experience with myself and my friends. Not only am I a twig, but I'm a tall twig so it takes a lot to make me look thick at all. I'm making progress, slowly but surely. Just thought I would put this up for all those ectomorphs out there. I have a long way to go, but seeing progress is the best motivation.

The first image is my 2 year progress. Started with minimal workout experience.

front_progress.jpg

The second image is my 6 month back progress

backprogress_PR_P.jpg

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Your upper and mid posterior is nicely developed, though you should focus some on your lower back, which is relatively underdeveloped. I mean this constructively, your front side looks like a different person. I dont know what your push pull ratios look like, but I would focus on your chest, lats, upper traps and neck, particularly the first 2.

Maybe I am confused about whether any of the top pics are recent. Both bottom pics look like someone else. Just saying.

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
I really appreciate the input. Yeah the top progress pics aren't as up to date but regardless my chest has been much more under developed. That and my low back has been a struggle for me, I consistently target these areas, maybe I need to try something different to get the progress going. I wish I had a starter back pic because I don't even know how my upper back developed like that. Anyways thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll be able to even out more through the next 6 months

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I really appreciate the input. Yeah the top progress pics aren't as up to date but regardless my chest has been much more under developed. That and my low back has been a struggle for me, I consistently target these areas, maybe I need to try something different to get the progress going. I wish I had a starter back pic because I don't even know how my upper back developed like that. Anyways thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll be able to even out more through the next 6 months
Please do post the pics again, but with dates. Seriously, your posterior delts, rhomboids and mid and lower traps are fantastic.. I was really tired when I wrote that. Certainly better than mine. And your overall back looks quite good, as well as lean.

Your anterior, looks athletic, though you seem to carry a lot more fat there. I see some chest size, but your lack of core development, is stealing the show. I rarely tell someone with your level of development to start working the core, but I would advise this of you. Of course, if you are squatting and doing DLs are you are working the core. But I would suggest some detail work. But hold on, before that, post a front pic without the double arm flex, which obscures chest development in most men, other than super developed guys. That would include me -- not super developed!

Post your workout for me, particularly including your chest/push routine.

You look good man. Keep up the good work.

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
Thanks again. It can be really easy to look in the mirror and focus on the good parts and almost feel content. I'm in no way content but it's nice to get constructive criticism regarding my lacking points. I know I have a loooong way to go until I reach my goals, but while I work towards my goals I want to at least have an evened out physique. Below is a pic of my front without the arms up:
newfront.jpg
This is my routine (I revised to this and started this routine about 3 weeks ago) Day 1: Chest (work in Deads) oincline db press 5 odb flys (on ball) 5 oflat bb bench 3 oincline db flys 3 odecline bb bench 3 ocable crunches ss with leg raises 5 Day 2: Arms (work in shoulders) (face pulls) opreacher curls 5 odips 5 ocross body hammer curls 5 ostraight bar tricep pushdown 5 oincline db curls 5 OR 21's 3 oV-rope tricep extensions 5 ostraight bar reverse curls 5 Day 3: Legs (work in chest) osquat 5 ocalf raises 5 oLeg Press 5 oweighted lunges 5 ocable crunches ss with leg raises 5 ogoblet squat 5 Day 4: Shoulders/Back (work in arms) oArnold press 5 obent over row 5 oreverse flys 5 o1 arm db row 5 oshoulder press ladder (2-3-5-10-10-5-3-2) 3 OR 21's 3 ofacepulls 5 ofarmer carries 3 oshrugs 100 otbar row burn out 3x12 The numbers following the exercise is how many sets. As for the shrugs I do 100 total, usually splitting up 20 reps each set. Most of my rep ranges are pretty low (5-8 ) and I really try to focus on the contraction and good form. I always perform a dropped set at the end of my workout and focus on the "squeeze" to burn out. On Day 5 I usually do either a HIIT program or some sort of yoga to try to maintain my flexibility (which is crap right now) then I start back at Day 1.

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
Wow sorry, my last post with my workout looks like garbage on mobile

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Much better pic bro! I am glad I asked. You look lean with some good definition. We just need to thicken you up in the chest, lats, serratus, obliques and front and medial delts. Arms look good, and you even have a pretty good core.

Quickly, you need to be doing heavy DB pullovers to open up and expand your diaphragm, among Arnold's secrets. And then you need to be squatting, to accomplish the same and thicken up your core, and eventually DLing too, if not already. I think this work is going to bring out your chest.

For delts, I'd like to see you doing some Arnold Presses. That will work just what you need work on.

Once I get some more workouts in, you can look to my log. But I have all sorts of limitations, as you will read, and rely on machines a lot more than I would ever recommend to a healthy guy, who I am guessing is around 18 years younger than me, lol.

I will look more at your workout later, but I figured you wanted this feedback first.

No homo, lol. Respect.

jades1120

jades1120

Awards
That's great feedback. I've been wanting to throw in the DB pullover but wasn't sure how beneficial it would be. After reading your response I'll use it tomorrow in my shoulder/back workout. Thanks again, I'll be looking to follow your routine and hopefully come summer I'll have a more impressive update on my progress. Thanks again for the input

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
Nice progress man. IMO you should really lower your training volume, up the intensity, weight and frequency. Low volume, heavy weights are an ecto's best friend...and keep pounding the food! Healthy fats are a great tool for ecto's to up the calories quickly

Drop Set

Awards
Nice progress man. IMO you should really lower your training volume, up the intensity, weight and frequency. Low volume, heavy weights are an ecto's best friend...and keep pounding the food! Healthy fats are a great tool for ecto's to up the calories quickly
repped