9 months lifting - progress so far

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.03%

9 months lifting - progress so far

So i thought it was about time to post some pics. I am a former rower for all for years of highschool, but after that I spent three years without any form of lifting or excercise. For the past 9 months or so, I have been hitting the gym again, and here are my results so far.

Comments are very welcome, as are suggestions on what I should focus on building. My chest is still very small compared to my back, so I have been working on building it up and any suggestions would be great.

Back unflexed

Chest unflexed

Big dif in back and chest...

At 5'10 153 most people would prob suggest bulking, but at the moment my main concern is toning my abs a bit more from summer. I have been bulking for the last month or so tho, and have seen some good results and gains. Unfortunetly I dont really have any older pics to show for comparison.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.03%

also, what would you guys guess for my BF, and where will i need to be to get my abs showing more?
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Just judging from your pics, I would say you look like you are about 12% BF.

At 153, I think you would have to lose many percentages of BF before your abs fully came in. And without much mass there, you aren't going to see a whole lot. You could try recomping (gaining muscle while losing fat simultaneously) before summer rolls around. I have been on a recomp for the last 8 months and have had great success with it.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.38%

good work. nice definition in your back

I would try doing hanging leg raises, weighted situps, cable crunches, and weighted twists for your obliques
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.23%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Pretty sure these are photoshopped ...
    I dont know if it's better for you that they are photoshopped or if you just wear the same boxers, belt, jeans, and stand in front of the same door 9 months later.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.03%

as i mentioned at the end of the post, they are not before and after, they are all from the same time...

I did not photo shop anything man, i took those on monday...what good would come from photoshopping?

its just flexed and unflexed...

But yea that pretty much sounds like my current ab routine, so i"ll keep workin on it...but it mainly seems like i gotta get the bf down. Recomping is pretty much my goal now, since i don really want to lose weight or anything.

Thanks for the advice!
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.33%

Looking good Bud
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.03%

thanks man, always nice to hear.

Also, quick question for you guys. So far, I have avoided doing deadlifts since my back is already so much larger then my chest. I still workout my back, but I have been avoiding workouts which add to mass to taht extent, to try and prevent an even greater imbalance.

So should I start doing deadlifts, or do you guys have any suggestions for building fast mass on my chest? I already have a very comprehensive chest workout, but progress is slow...

I think this is partly because of the strength of my delts/triceps, and their removal of pressure from my chest. I am doint some workouts to combat this, but as i said progress is much slower on my chest then the rest of my body..
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.79%

you need to bulk
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.64%

we need to see those legs. hopefully you've been doing those squats =)
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.21%

Quote Originally Posted by wbted23 View Post
    thanks man, always nice to hear.

Also, quick question for you guys. So far, I have avoided doing deadlifts since my back is already so much larger then my chest. I still workout my back, but I have been avoiding workouts which add to mass to taht extent, to try and prevent an even greater imbalance.

So should I start doing deadlifts, or do you guys have any suggestions for building fast mass on my chest? I already have a very comprehensive chest workout, but progress is slow...

I think this is partly because of the strength of my delts/triceps, and their removal of pressure from my chest. I am doint some workouts to combat this, but as i said progress is much slower on my chest then the rest of my body..
    If you don't work out your back, or add mass to your back, the rest of your body will be hesitant to gain any size. If you want to add mass to your chest, you need to add mass to your back as well, because your muscles want to grow in a certain proportion to one another.

Deadlifts are one of the best movements to add size to nearly everything. I would suggest adding them to your routine along with weighted Dips and heavy Bench Press.
  12. IBE Rep
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.31%

Dead lifts, squats, Barbell Bench, Military Presses, and a lot of clean calories...Can't go wrong with that mix.

Good Luck man...Traps already look good.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.21%

If you feel like your Triceps are getting more of a workout than your chest when you do bench, more than likely your bench grip is too narrow.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.03%

K thanks everyone, def getting some good advice here. Im not gonna bulk for the moment as im focusing more on recomp, but I willd start doing deadlifts and changin up my routine a bit to try and add some all-around mass.

As for the benching, it really seems to be my delts taking over more than my triceps, but I have looked around the forums and found some good advice on that, so I think I should start hitting my chest better now.

As for my legs, I do squat but only more recently, so they are still a bit small. they are actually very toned and strong, but lacking size as a result of my years of crew, and a constant emphasis on low weight and extremely high reps. Im workin pretty hard now to bulk them up tho, and hope to get some good results there soon.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Six Months Progress
    By xink in forum Pics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
  2. No Progress In 8 Months
    By MATT2388 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
  3. 8 Months Progress
    By jjm in forum Pics
    Replies: 10