COOP -- supplement and training science.

Akagami

Awards
Impressed with all the science Mr.Coop always throws down on threads. Hell, it's usually so technical I couldn't even begin to tell if its bull**** or not.

Could you enlighten us all on what you studied to get where you are? For people who would want to learn the hard science, where would you recommend people begin? What subjects would be the basics, essentials, advanced topics etc...

Any other hardcore science guys feel free to chime in too!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Jiigzz Synapsin Neuron ZiR RED That's just a few of the other smarties around here

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Read. Learn statistics, research methodology, and understand the limitations of anecdotes and research.

Is there a specific topic you are interested in?

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Read. Learn statistics, research methodology, and understand the limitations of anecdotes and research. Is there a specific topic you are interested in?
This guy ^^^^^^^ is brilliant also

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Impressed with all the science Mr.Coop always throws down on threads. Hell, it's usually so technical I couldn't even begin to tell if its bull**** or not.

Could you enlighten us all on what you studied to get where you are? For people who would want to learn the hard science, where would you recommend people begin? What subjects would be the basics, essentials, advanced topics etc...

Any other hardcore science guys feel free to chime in too!
Coop has education is a variety of fields. He has told a few of us what he studies however it would be best if he answered you himself. Suffice to say that you can pretty much guarantee what he says is evidence based.

Science itself is a VERY broad spectrum of topics, so it would depend on what you are most interested in learning. The best way to learn in this field is to read. And then read some more. With evidence always changing/ allowing for a more clearer picture, learning is continuous and not a one off.

As JJ said (who is one of the more brilliant minds on this forum), a very important skill is learning about research methodology and statistics. Discussions and conclusions, whilst insightful, are at the bias of the researcher when he/she interprets the data (to a degree - the language they choose in the discussion can alter the perception of significance or they can draw correlations/ causations under circumstances where such things cannot be stated). The actual results of the study better reflect its significance.

For training: Exercise science - anatomy and physiology, biomechanics, biology (cell and human), strength and conditioning are all important components.

For nutrition: Nutrition, Bioenergetics (biochemistry) and so on are good places to start. IMO basic nutrition papers do not delve far enough into metabolism and biological processes to allow for comprehensive understanding. Learning how things behave in the body will be far more beneficial to you than just "a carb is the primary source of energy in the body".

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Read. Learn statistics, research methodology, and understand the limitations of anecdotes and research. Is there a specific topic you are interested in?
Sorry josh, don't know how I forgot you!

Op, this is another of our brilliant gurus for sure.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:blush:

I am by no means a guru or brilliant, I am merely scientifically literate. This is what you want to develop. People like coop, zir red,alek and synapsin have an amazing physiological understanding of the body, but to be fair they are all academically trained in the field so its like second nature to them. You probably won't achieve the same level of understanding unless you devote a significant amount of time or major in the field at a university. What you want is to be scientifically literate, meaning you want to learn how to be skeptical of information, how to weed out the BS, and understand the significance a research paper has

Our entire PES team is scientifically literate and can help guide you and help answer whatever questions you may have. We are here to help, not just promote products. So feel free to ask away

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nerds :)

Lol just playing. The amount of time, effort, and dedication to learning some of the guys put in is insane I can only imagine.

Glad they are on the forum and share all their knowledge with us :).

Akagami

Awards

I am by no means a guru or brilliant, I am merely scientifically literate. This is what you want to develop. People like coop, zir red and synapsin have an amazing physiological understanding of the body, but to be fair they are all academically trained in the field so its like second nature to them. You probably won't achieve the same level of understanding unless you devote a significant amount of time or major in the field at a university. What you want is to be scientifically literate, meaning you want to learn how to be skeptical of information, how to weed out the BS, and understand the significance a research paper has

Our entire PES team is scientifically literate and can help guide you and help answer whatever questions you may have. We are here to help, not just promote products. So feel free to ask away
I wouldn't call myself scientific illiterate. But I want to get a more in depth level of understanding.

Studying anything on a deep level takes a lot of time! That's why I was wondering where some good places to start are.

I'm glad you mentioned statistics. I studied quite a bit of math in school but NEVER took a statistics course...it's a huge gap in my knowledge.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if I did.

What I mean by scientific literate means to be able to read a research paper and understand the limitations and relevance of said paper. To be able to know if the evidence presented in the paper are sufficient to justify the conclusions being made. Especially when the paper is being used by media or a marketing department. This requires an understanding of research methodology (be able to see the methods used and understand what limitations they have) and being able to contrast that with the conclusions.

Is their a specific field/topic you are interested in? I can help point you int he direction of what to read depending on what it is you are interested in.

Here is a book on research methodology you can check out - http://www.amazon.com/Qualitative-Quantitative-Methods-Approaches-Research/dp/1452226105/

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I am by no means a guru or brilliant, I am merely scientifically literate. This is what you want to develop. People like coop, zir red and synapsin have an amazing physiological understanding of the body, but to be fair they are all academically trained in the field so its like second nature to them. You probably won't achieve the same level of understanding unless you devote a significant amount of time or major in the field at a university. What you want is to be scientifically literate, meaning you want to learn how to be skeptical of information, how to weed out the BS, and understand the significance a research paper has

Thank you for the compliments everybody, I appreciate it. My background is in medicine, pharmacology, and neurology. OP, if you want, I can give you good textbook recommendations for some cool stuff that will make some of the stuff Coop discusses more understandable. And like Josh said (although he should really give himself more credit, he's very bright as well), we are always more than willing to help you with any question, even if it has nothing to do with a PES product :)

Akagami

Awards
JudoJosh No offense taken and I think I get more of what you're saying now! Thanks for the concrete recommendation and I WILL read that book!
Synapsin I would love any textbook recommendations. Post them up in this thread or send a PM. Thanks man!

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Akagami, I highly recommend "Neurobiology" by G.M Shepherd

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wouldn't call myself scientific illiterate. But I want to get a more in depth level of understanding.

Studying anything on a deep level takes a lot of time! That's why I was wondering where some good places to start are.

I'm glad you mentioned statistics. I studied quite a bit of math in school but NEVER took a statistics course...it's a huge gap in my knowledge.
Indeed. As a science major, we had to take a science-based statistics class. It was extremely helpful in learning how to actually interpret studies and their results