Metabolic Rate tested with Alphamine

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday I had a meeting with a local gym owner to discuss some business. Long story short I noticed he had several pieces of equipment that I thought could be extremely useful, including hydrostatic body fat testing, VO2MAX, and resting metabolic rate. I asked if he could check my RMR since I had not eaten for about 5 hours (busy day) so it should give a fairly accurate assessment. After sitting for 15minutes with my nose plugged and tubes attached to my face it said my RMR was 2010, which sound accurate given my size, the test said it was average.

After this i started thinking....what if i took 2 scoops of alphamine and tested again in 45 minutes? Alphamine works through a number of mechanisms which couldnt exactly be pinpointed to simple metabolic rate, but i was curious to find out and he was cool with it, so we did it! I took 2 scoops of alphamine in 1oz warm water (to make results as accurate as possible), and measured again 45min post.

RMR was 2448, which is a HUGE increase over baseline. I would have liked to get reading again at 1hr45min, and 2hr45min to see how long the transient elevation in metabolic rate lasted, but that would be asking for too much since this was all done for free. Either way, 2448 resting metabolic rate is blazing fast for my size (187lbs), and its evidence enough to describe the profound thermogenic effect I've had from it all along.

Cliffs:
RMR pre alphamine = 2010
RMR Post Alphamine = 2448
Measured via indirect calorimetry

Heres a link to the post alphamine printout he gave me showing my results:
http://oi62.tinypic.com/15qrz9v.jpg

The lifestyle and exercise calories are estimated, i just said im moderately active so im assuming its multiplying my RMR by 1.4-1.5ish.

TrainPsycho

Awards
Let's bump this.

How much difference in RMR was seen with Norcodrene?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually never got around to testing Norcodrene. I had to move shortly thereafter, and I no longer have access to the clinic I used for my testing.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder what testing equipment our exercise physio lab has here at my university and if they would let me play with them

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder what testing equipment our exercise physio lab has here at my university and if they would let me play with them
Pretty sure they'll have a standard metabolic cart, which is what you'll need. A BodPod would work as well.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gotta get a grad student to let me in and play with it

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I might be able to play around with it. We have some nice equipment here at the university. I should of did it last semester during my exercise physiology class.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Gotta get a grad student to let me in and play with it
Doesn't hurt to ask and grad students tend to be poor as hell, so free samples will sometimes open doors as well :)

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good info, surprised I never noticed this post. I know you said not Norcodrene but ever get to try it with anything else?

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wish I had access to one of those! Would be nice to see if DCP 2.0 or Combustion made a huge difference.

I really notice the thermo effect of Alphamine, so it's really cool to see tangible evidence :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just popped into the ex phys lab and seen the met cart so it is there! Just gotta convince someone to let me play with it