Eleutherococcus Senticosus

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Eleutherococcus senticosus
Aka
Siberian Ginseng

Performance Enhancement

Siberian Ginseng, in healthy exercising humans, has been shown to elevate both anaerobic (e.g. weightlifting) and aerobic (e.g. cardio) performance.

The effect of eight weeks of supplementation ... [Chin J Physiol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

“The major finding of this study was the VO2 peak of the subjects elevated 12% (P < 0.05), endurance time improved 23% (P < 0.05) and the highest heart rate increased 4% (P < 0.05) significantly. The second finding was at 30 min of 75% VO2 peak cycling, the production of plasma FFA was increased and the glucose level was decreased both significantly (P < 0.05) over 8-week ES supplementation. This is the first well-conducted study that shows that 8-week ES supplementation enhances endurance capacity, elevates cardiovascular functions and alters the metabolism for sparing glycogen in recreationally trained males.”

Translation:

#1: Subjects experienced a 12% increase in maximum oxygen delivery to the bloodstream. This concept, known as VO2 max, is the performance-limiting variable in such things as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and high-repetition weight-lifting. The efficiency of the heart also increased, with a 4% improvement in maximum heart rate.

#2: There was less glucose in the bloodstream and more free fatty acids. What this means is that Siberian Ginseng alters the body’s metabolism such that more fat is burnt for energy and less glycogen is lost. The net result is decreased fat mass and increased muscle mass/strength (by virtue of heightened/preserved glycogen stores).

The influence of active components of Eleuther... [Phytother Res. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

“Changes in the following blood parameters were observed in comparison to initial values in group A: total and LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose. No alterations were seen in group B. The ergospirometric test revealed a higher oxygen plateau in group A (Taiga Wurzel). On the basis of the present study the following conclusions were drawn: active components in Eleutherococcus senticosus contained in Taiga Wurzel preparation affect cellular defence and physical fitness, as well as lipid metabolism.”

Translation: Improvements in cardiopulmonary function were found in subjects. In addition, LDL/triglycerides as well as blood glucose decreased.

http://www.modernhealthshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Eleutherococcus-senticosus.pdf?TB_iframe

Siberian Ginseng is an adaptogen. This research review shows that Siberian Ginseng:

-Decreases stress levels, adrenal hypertrophy, and vitamin C depletion
-Improves swimming time to exhaustion and increases stamina
-Enhances immune function
-Protects the brain
-Increases bone density and strength
-Protects the liver
-Increases levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain (tied to mood and energy levels)

In elite runners given Siberian Ginseng, they finished their 10-kilometer race in 45 minutes, versus 52.6 minutes in the placebo group. Anyone who takes part in running knows that this is an extremely large improvement.

In elite cyclists, a similarly profound effect was observed: 23.3% increase in total work performed and a 16.3% increase in time to exhaustion. This means the athletes not only worked longer but harder as well.

In elite skiiers, Siberian Ginseng improved tolerance to lower oxygen levels and enhanced adaptations to exercise.

The trend here is simple: studies were conducted in highly active, well-trained male humans, and Siberian Ginseng consistently exemplified a profound ergogenic, performance-enhancing effect.

Glucose Disposal (GDA) Effects

Release of acetylcholine by syringin, an activ... [Neurosci Lett. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/3734812/Isolation<em>and</em>hypoglycemic<em>activity</em>of<em>eleutherans</em>A<em>B</em>C<em>D</em>E<em>F</em>and<em>G:</em>glycans<em>of</em>Eleutherococcus<em>senticosus</em>roots_

Hypoglycemic effect of syringin from Eleutherococ... [Planta Med. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

Siberian Ginseng has been shown in repeated murine trials to reduce blood glucose, conferring it a GDA effect.

Fat Loss

As mentioned above, in exercising human subjects, Siberian Ginseng spares muscle protein and glycogen and instead shifts the fuel source to fatty acids, resulting in increased fat loss. The murine model confirms this (Effects of the Cellcultured Acanthopanax... [J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI), in which normal rats gained 25% less fat mass when fed an isocaloric diet to placebo.

Positive Health Effects – Reduced LDL/triglycerides/blood glucose, improved immune function, and protection of organs and bone mass (all but one cited above)

The effects of A. senticosus supp... [Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
“These results suggest that A. senticosus supplementation may have beneficial effects against oxidative stress and improve serum lipid profiles without subsequent side effects.”

Increased nitric oxide and vasodilation
Vascular effects of Sibe... [Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Stress Reduction

Besides the murine data showing improved tolerance to fatigue, improved energy levels, and reduced stress/adrenal gland size, there is human data as well.

Again, the review: http://www.modernhealthshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Eleutherococcus-senticosus.pdf?TB_iframe

In otherwise healthy humans, Siberian Ginseng reduced the changes in heart rate and blood pressure associated with a state of chronic stress.

Fatigue Reduction

In patients with chronic fatigue, Siberian Ginseng was found effective not only in reducing fatigue, but also in improving quality of life.

Mental Health

Effects of Siberian ginseng (Ele... [Arch Gerontol Geriatr Suppl. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

In elderly subjects, Siberian Ginseng improved cognitive function, social functioning, and quality of life.

Anti-depressant Effects of Aqueous Extract fro... [Phytother Res. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Siberian Ginseng had an anti-depressive effect in the murine model and upregulated cAMP response-element binding. This is yet another mechanism in which the cAMP system is exploited. In fact, Siberian Ginseng appears to modulate catechol-o-methyl-transferase (COMT).

The effect of Eleutheroside E on behavioral ... [Eur J Pharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
Mechanisms underling the effects of adapto... [Bull Exp Biol Med. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Siberian Ginseng appears to normalize bodily function in the murine model when presented with sleep deprivation.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really liking the sounds of this new addition.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad I stocked up on F95 and original anabeta not knowing that the new formula would not have7OH!
-__-

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Covering even more bases than OG ABE, I will never want to cycle off of this I am thinking.

olly2712

Awards
sounds like a great addition to me :) cant wait to get started on it and teaming it with amino iv

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sounds like a great addition to me :) cant wait to get started on it and teaming it with amino iv
This is my plan. I love ABE and Amino IV so I can't wait to add the new version to the rotation.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Always liked eleuthero root. I'm sure it will be a great addition.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't understand your post? Maybe I read it wrong
I cannot use cortisol control products. (7OH). I assumed the new ABE would still have a cortisol control. So I stocked up on original anabeta and forskolin 95 to stack. Now I can use the new ABE formula, but spent lots of $$ on the aforementioned supps lol

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I cannot use cortisol control products. (7OH). I assumed the new ABE would still have a cortisol control. So I stocked up on original anabeta and forskolin 95 to stack. Now I can use the new ABE
formula, but spent lots of $$ on the aforementioned supps lol
Roger.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Hmmmm, very interesting Mr. Cooper! Thanks for the read, I can't wait to give it a run in the near future :)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Thanks everyone, this ingredient is truly as "human proven" as they come

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Great post Cy, love the new and improved ABE

dbenj7

Awards
Just a quick question, how does this work as a cortisol controller? Does this replace the old ingredient for that purpose? Thanks

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Just a quick question, how does this work as a cortisol controller? Does this replace the old ingredient for that purpose? Thanks
The mechanism is posted right in the 1st post. It reduces stress, the trigger of cortisol release

dbenj7

Awards
The mechanism is posted right in the 1st post. It reduces stress, the trigger of cortisol release
Ok, thanks for that. Have another question though, just started ABE just over a week ago and am loving it so far (aside from increased acne). Question though, could this or any of the ingredients be energising and keep me up at night? Some nights I struggle to get to sleep and have tried dosing earleir in the day however I generally train in the evenings and I seem to feel awake at night since starting ABE. I have seen people advising not to take ginseng at night as it is energising, would this apply with ABE and any of the other ingredients and if so how should I change my dosing scheme based on the fact I mainly train later in the day?

Thanks

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Remember, this isn't ginseng. Ginseng is panax ginseng. This is eleuthero which simply has a similar pseudonym.

That said, eleuthero was used in traditional medicine as an energizer for people with fatigue due to its adaptogenic properties. This shouldn't be keeping you awake if you don't have fatigue issues to begin with, but definitely try a morning-oriented dose and see if it fixes the issue

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Starting the new ABE tomorrow :D

But won't be lifting til Sunday :( cardio only tomorrow then heading to the superbowl festivities in NYC on sat!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 5