Fasting Benefits with Alphamine - Article

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Early morning fasts & fasted cardio are two tools that are commonly used among hardcore physique enthusiasts to quickly and drastically reduce fat stores. However, these techniques are seldom used among casual gym goers. Big mistake! These two techniques make the fat loss process exponentially easier and more effective, and we’re about to explain why.

In order for fat to be “burned” off, it must first be freed from the fat cells. The rate limiting step in this process is an enzyme called “Hormone Sensitive Lipase”, or HSL. In a nutshell, the more active HSL is, the more fatty acids are freed and available for oxidation or “burning”. Obviously, we want as MUCH HSL activity as possible.

The Problem? The primary way to INACTIVATE HSL is through the hormone insulin, which spikes heavily after a meal containing carbohydrates, and moderately after even low carb meals. When circulating insulin levels are elevated, HSL screeches to a halt and the body goes into “storage” mode, shuttling all excess energy substrates into fat or glycogen stores. Activating HSL is dependent on many different pathways, but primarily high levels of catecholamines (epinephrine, norephinephrine) or beta-agonists (Higenamine, ephedrine, clen, etc) will do the trick.

In an ideal environment, catecholamine levels will be very high & insulin will remain low, resulting in enhanced breakdown of fatty acids that are stored within the fat cell. The next step is binding the free fatty acid (FFA) to albumin and transporting it through the bloodstream. The problem with this is that stubborn body fat typically has very poor blood flow. Mobilized fat cells from these areas will more than likely become re-deposited into adipose (body fat) since they will not interact with tissue that can use it for fuel (liver, muscle, etc).

A number of things can help in the mobilization of FFAs from fat cells & the transport of them through the bloodstream so they may be oxidized (burned) for fuel. In the scope of this article, the main one we’re going to target is FASTING. Yes, in a fasted state you have improved fat cell blood flow, meaning increased circulation of these FFAs. Insulin will also remain lower in a fasted state, which means less to inactivate HSL and more fat breakdown will occur. Cardio will also improve blood flow, and in a fasted state the energy used will be primarily FFAs, resulting in significantly improved results.

Understanding the physiology of fat loss helps you know what you need to do in order to further your fat loss goals. To put it simply:
- A meal or calories of any kind will increase insulin and essentially inactivates HSL to an extent.
- By fasting, you keep insulin lower & allow more stubborn body fat to become mobilized & transported away for use as energy.
- Fasted daily activities or cardio is the final key process. Fasting not only improves the breakdown and transport of fat cells, the only energy available for use will be primarily stored bodyfat!

But what if I’m too hungry?

Lets be real, not EVERYONE can skip breakfast and fast for their morning and be comfortable. However, how many of you out there notice you don't start developing an appetite until AFTER breakfast? Many physiological processes are involved in hunger signalling, but for most simply skipping breakfast allows appetite to stay low while you effortlessly burn through fat stores via improved hormonal environment. Not only does this system enhance fat loss, it can even be seen as nearly subconscious caloric restriction. A several hour fast after waking when appetite is non existent essentially means less time awake to graze, think about food, etc. and more time to focus on your daily tasks!

Fasting Augmentation with Alphamine

Alphamine targets all of the above mentioned pathways required for fat loss while significantly blunting appetite. This means the two together are your ticket to an ultimate body transformation!

Beta Agonists (Higenamine HCl) & SA2-A (novel yohimbines standardization)
Remember how we want to activate HSL as much as possible? Well, the primary way to ACTIVATE HSL as said above is through catecholamine (adrenaline, noradrenaline) release.

There are two receptors catecholamines will “bind” to:

1. Beta Receptors -
When a catecholamine binds to a b-receptor, it increases cAMP levels, increases HSL, and fat breakdown increases.
2. Alpha Receptors -
When a catecholamine binds to an alpha-receptor, it DECREASES cAMP levels, HSL, and STOPS FAT LOSS. This is the primary understanding for “stubborn” body fat patterns. In women for example, they have MORE alpha receptors & less beta receptors in their hips/butt area resulting in hard to remove body fat. The key is to “shut off” the Alpha receptors while also “activating” the beta receptors, & Alphamine does exactly that!

Choline - Fat Burning Efficiency
Choline, while being present in essentially every cell in the human body, has a very distinct purpose in Alphamine. A study on human male athletes noted significantly enhanced lipid oxidation (fat burning) in men who ingested supplemental choline. Levels of beta-hydroxybutarate (a ketone) were also elevated, suggesting more fatty acids were being broken down and used as ketones to provide energy for the body, essentially making your body more efficient at using “fat for fuel”. In a fasted state this is EXACTLY what we want!

Chlorogenic Acid - Insulin Mitigation
If you’re still following, you're aware of the deleterious effect insulin (even at fasted levels) can have on fat loss, thats where chlorogenic acid comes in. It is noted to not only reduce plasma fasting insulin levels in humans, but also inhibit the breakdown of starches in the intestinal tract, resulting in significantly reduced insulin levels all around. While the other ingredients in Alphamine act towards activating HSL through the beta adrenergic pathway, this will help ensure there isn't any lingering insulin to halt the process!

Oleuropein - Improved Thermogenesis
Oleuropein, or olive leaf extract, serves numerous purposes in Alphamine. So much so, that we feel it is one of THE most underrated fat loss ingredients on the market. It has been shown to be extremely thyrogenic, some studies even note an over 200% increase in T3 levels! This has numerous effects for one wishing to lose weight, largely due to the effect the thyroid has on controlling metabolic rate. The higher your thyroid hormone concentrations, the higher your overall metabolism is!Another important factor is thyroid hormones relation to adipose tissue blood flow. Remember how we discussed poor blood flow to stubborn body fat patterns, and how that was one of the reasons why they just don't get used for fuel? Well thyroid levels have a lot to do with that, so on top of increasing total thermogenesis, you’re gaining more efficiency at using those stubborn areas for fuel!

HICA & Beta Agonists - Muscle Preservation
HICA works by stimulating mTOR, a key signalling process involved in activating muscle protein synthesis. When muscle protein synthesis rates are lower, your setting yourself up for: 1. No increases in lean mass, 2. Losses in lean body mass. Keeping protein synthesis up is KEY to avoiding muscle loss, and HICA has been demonstrated to have an extremely anti-catabolic effect in humans. Beta agonists (ephedrine, clenbuterol, higenamine, etc) also have extensive data showing their uses towards being muscle preservering & fat-loss promoting. Alphamine utilizes new, novel beta agonists with HICA so you can burn FAT not MUSCLE!

Fasted Training

We know many of you train early in the morning, and its common bodybuilding gospel that you MUST eat protein prior to weight lifting or you’ll “totally go catabolic bro”, but that isn't exactly true. Several studies have recently been performed on the merit of fasted weight training, and they have had very interesting results.

One study noted a nutrient partitioning effectwith fasted training vs the non-fasted group. Both groups ate a substantial caloric surplus (roughly 600-700 above maintenance) for a period of six weeks. Theoretically this would correlate to 1+lb of weight gain per week, yet at the end of the study the fasted training group gained only ~1.3lbs. The non-fasting group? They gained about 7 lbs. The fasted group also had significantly improved insulin sensitivity/glucose tolerance, and a higher rate of fat oxidation compared to the group that ate breakfast.

In a separate study, researchers noted a significant “anabolic rebound” following fasted training vs non-fasted. The researchers summarized the study by stating - “Our results indicate that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate/protein/leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session.”

There have been other small studies that go in favor of fasted strength training, however the research is still unclear. We’re not advocating changing your entire routine in favor of fasted training, but what we can say is if your schedule only allows training under a fast using this protocol, don’t feel that you’re shorting your gains. Clearly there is more to the picture.

Nutrition

An entire article based on dieting is sort of out of the scope of this article, however we can give several pointers for those wishing to reduce their body fat levels:

1. Follow the fasting protocol, if you wish to get better results think about switching to Intermittent fasting. This is where you fast for a certain portion of the day (usually 14-16 hours) and consume all of your calories over the course of a feeding window (usually 8-10 hours). The most common feeding windows are usually 11AM-7PM, 12PM-9PM, and 2PM-10PM. This will help prevent you from going overboard after your daily fast.

2. DON'T treat morning fasting as an excuse to binge eat once you finally have a meal. Although your meals will be larger due to the time restraint, you should still aim to keep portions under control & have proper food selection; the fast will just help accelerate your fat loss.

3. Aim to eat lower carb/higher protein meals, think grilled chicken & almonds instead of cereals and grains.

4. Avoid calorie dense foods like peanut butter, large portions of cheese, etc. Although they may be low in carbs, eating these in excess will still stall your progress.

5. Attempt to gain most of your intake from whole foods as opposed to relying on protein shakes.

6. No liquid calories should be consumed, unless its a protein shake, in which case it should be prepared with water as opposed to milk.

Tying it Together

Okay, so we’ve covered fat loss pathways, how fasting augments this to cause greater body fat reductions, how Alphamine will make this process faster, and how you won't lose any muscle. Heres an easy step by step guide to getting the most of your Alphamine run:

1. Immediately upon waking take your Alphamine dose (2 scoops, if you can handle it)
2. Skip breakfast and any calorie containing items (no coffee with creamers, iced teas, milk, etc). Even if its not solid food, all of these will have an effect on insulin release, and you’ll be throwing a wrench in your progress if you continuously use them. Black coffee, diet drinks, or unsweetened tea are fine.
3. Once hunger begins to pick up, simply break your fast and have a meal. Shooting for a 3-4 hour fast seems to be the best approach in our experience.
4. Perform fasted cardio at least 3x a week.
Don't just take our word for it, this is the exact system used by our Alphamine pilot tester Kevin. Heres a picture of the transformation he had using this protocol for only 8 short weeks!
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64653&d=1345582241

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good info natty

I am currently using alphamine prior to fasted cardio. Really enjoying the subtle energy. Throwing in EP as well. :). Loving it.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really pleased with it. Also, the Raspberry Lemonade is a pleasure to drink. I like the fruit punch, but RL is downright delicious.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
What about training, waiting 30mins then breaking fast? Weight training in the AM fasted that is.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Brilliant Brilliant Read

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about training, waiting 30mins then breaking fast? Weight training in the AM fasted that is.

You could do that, you would still be setting yourself up for the anabolic rebound thats been demonstrated post fasted training. Another common protocol that people do on leangains is ingest 10g BCAA pre/post workout rather than immediately ending fast. I think the approach i would take depends entirely on the goal.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good article natty.

Kevin, put the toilet paper on the roll!

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Educating article, will use for reference in the future.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
You could do that, you would still be setting yourself up for the anabolic rebound thats been demonstrated post fasted training. Another common protocol that people do on leangains is ingest 10g BCAA pre/post workout rather than immediately ending fast. I think the approach i would take depends entirely on the goal.
During season but still want to maintain strength, possibly lose some.residual fat...

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
This is how i train, and have for a long time.

Invycktus

Invycktus

Awards
  • Established
Has someone considered making this a sticky and quote the actual post in the Alphamine thread?

Where is Ben?

JR.99

JR.99

Awards
Thanks for the article like if it was ment for me I was thinking about this but want completely sure on fasting time and eating windows and here it is detailed an everything

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the article like if it was ment for me I was thinking about this but want completely sure on fasting time and eating windows and here it is detailed an everything
No problem! I'm glad you found the information useful!

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would taking in a intraproduct like Strive or Compete negate the "fasted" state?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would taking in a intraproduct like Strive or Compete negate the "fasted" state?
I'm not familiar with either of those products, but if theyre essentially amino acids and other ergogenics, you'll be fine taking them.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not familiar with either of those products, but if theyre essentially amino acids and other ergogenics, you'll be fine taking them.
Thanks Kevin. Last question, so if I'm lifting fasted using Alphamine, should I not take in something immediately post workout and wait the 3...4 hours, in order to achieve the best results?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Kevin. Last question, so if I'm lifting fasted using Alphamine, should I note take in something immediately post workout and wait the 3...4 hours, in order to achieve the best results?
I would just dose BCAAs post workout, then break fast at a usual time every day - like 2pm. Thats pretty much the standard leangains formula for fasted AM weight training.

JR.99

JR.99

Awards
So my fast I would brake it like 3 pm and I train around 6 or 7pm would be able to take solid food like chicken green being so close for my bed time
Just curious if 3pm to next morning 9am might be to long of a fasting period

nicoacademia

nicoacademia

Awards
would a 6 hour fast be good enough? cause i do cardio after work in the evening. i'm also looking to improve my speed on the treadmill and post-workout glycogen replenishment seems necessary to both replenish as well as be anabolic and improve heart/lungs/muscle strength and lose fat.i'm planning to take alphamine first thing in the morning and 2nd dose even earlier than my pre-workout(of bcaas and NO stuff)i should be ok to gain aerobic+anaerobic endurance/speed plus fat loss right?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
would a 6 hour fast be good enough? cause i do cardio after work in the evening. i'm also looking to improve my speed on the treadmill and post-workout glycogen replenishment seems necessary to both replenish as well as be anabolic and improve heart/lungs/muscle strength and lose fat.i'm planning to take alphamine first thing in the morning and 2nd dose even earlier than my pre-workout(of bcaas and NO stuff)i should be ok to gain aerobic+anaerobic endurance/speed plus fat loss right?

I dont think theres any right or wrong way to do it, its more about what feels comfortable with you and what works with your schedule. In my opinion, 6 hours in your given situation would be perfect. What kind of endurance training are you performing though? I believe I've read studies that indicate long-endurance bout type training is negatively impacted by training in a fasted state.

If you're just hitting sprints and doing HIIT, you should be okay. Just play it by ear and see how you perform, then adjust accordingly.

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Great read!

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
one thing i dont understand: only carbs give insulin spikes protein not.ok so far.but that would mean i could ingest whey in water shakes and still be in fasted state?

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
one thing i dont understand: only carbs give insulin spikes protein not.ok so far.but that would mean i could ingest whey in water shakes and still be in fasted state?
I believe whey does spike insulin.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All nutrients spike insulin, whey is actually extremely insulinogenic.
hmm thanks for your opinion i will take note about fasted state negatively impacting long-endurance.i'm actually trying to lower my 2mile run timing to 12minutes. that would be a dream. and after that perhaps 3miles in 18mins further on.while remaining low bf.
Sounds good, you're just going to have to take a good trial & error approach to the entire method.

dat dude

dat dude

Awards
  • Established
I'm so glad that you posted about fasting and cardio etc. A dude at the gym swears up and down that I was wrong about doing my cardio on a empty stomach. Imma send him the link to this post. By the way I loved alphamine. Hopefully I can run another cycle (8 weeks) the next time I use it, finances got kinda tight. I was only able to run it 4 weeks.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I see no reason why not, I assume based on some studies I have come across, the morning fasted workout is king as it sets the body's metabolic rate for the day.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Great job Kev, I follow IF and alphamine is perfect for this

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Little bump for others trying to get the most out of their Alphamine cuts!

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Alphamine is currently on sale at Nutraplanet for under $30!!

WayneD

WayneD

Awards
Great job Kevin, thanks for doing this. I do HIIT at 5:30 in the morning and then weight lift at 7 at night. My PWO is SWOll-N, Supp-D, betal-alanine, multi, fish oil. My post w/o is creatine and bcaas, what time or timeframe would you recommend taking alphamine and erase?

socal2ks

socal2ks

Awards
Can fish oil, cla, be taken during the fasted period?

Loving alphamine again!

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I usually dose 6-7g fish oil pre workout. Seen nothing but great effects and helps to lean me out

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

boogyman

Awards
Any thoughts on a cutting schedule that features early morning fasted lifting, and evening cardio towards the end of the feeding windows, with a small meal afterwards?

I have a few reasons for this. First I only have 1 hour to workout in the morning and prefer not to lift and do cardio in the same session. I do enjoy lifting fasted. I mainly do cardio for conditioning and not for weight loss. Also, in the spring/summer I play basketball twice a week after work so I substitue that for my cardio session. Schedule would look like this:

4 AM 2 scoops Alphamine
5 AM weight training (I use aminos as outlined in leangains)
8 AM 1 scoop Alphamine
11 AM first meal, feeding window begins
5 PM cardio
6-7 PM last small meal

nSe7en

Awards
Would this work if you just wanted to lose weight and drop overall body fat? I do 35- 45 min HIIT cardio most mornings before work and do jiu jitsu of a night. I don't really do any form of weight training at all. There is a lot of resistance in Jiu Jitsu but nothing that develops lean muscle i dont think. Would this work or is this mainly for people who do weight training?

Thanks

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Would this work if you just wanted to lose weight and drop overall body fat? I do 35- 45 min HIIT cardio most mornings before work and do jiu jitsu of a night. I don't really do any form of weight training at all. There is a lot of resistance in Jiu Jitsu but nothing that develops lean muscle i dont think. Would this work or is this mainly for people who do weight training?

Thanks
Friends of mine take it for the same reason, staying lean and energy for MMA sessions.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Thanks
Alphamine would fit perfect. It is also good for people who do weight training because of the ingredients that help preserve muscle while in calorie deficits and burning fat. I personally have used alphamine while bulking, cutting and lean bulking with positive results each time. Incredibly versatile product and it makes an amazing pre-workout as well!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I usually dose 6-7g fish oil pre workout. Seen nothing but great effects and helps to lean me out

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App
I'd stop this. It's directly inhibiting hypertrophy and causing a TON of oxidative stress

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Alphamine would fit perfect. It is also good for people who do weight training because of the ingredients that help preserve muscle while in calorie deficits and burning fat. I personally have used alphamine while bulking, cutting and lean bulking with positive results each time. Incredibly versatile product and it makes an amazing pre-workout as well!
Agreed, alphamine is perfect for fasted cardio. The unique yohimbine blend + caffeine promotes heavy lipolysis during fasted exercise (which is further boosted by the AMPK effects of chlorogenic acid), while the HICA preserves muscle mass simultaneously.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed, alphamine is perfect for fasted cardio. The unique yohimbine blend + caffeine promotes heavy lipolysis during fasted exercise (which is further boosted by the AMPK effects of chlorogenic acid), while the HICA preserves muscle mass simultaneously.
Coop summing it up all smart like!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A great Pre-Cardio formula!